What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Main stalk split where it was topped....On the topic of branches splitting

The stalk on my largest plant split open like a wishbone about a month ago, something I'm sure many of ya'll around here have experienced at one point or another...

...The plant was topped and I waited a bit longer than I should have to start bending/training/tying the branches down. It was a pretty deep split, probably 4 inches down. I immediately used some small rope I had on hand to tie around the split to close it up, I've had small splits happen before and they've fused themselves back together when I've wrapped it up right after it occurred (with stretchy plant tie).

After maybe 2 weeks or so I cut off the small rope I used to close up the split because it wasn't a material that could stretch and I didn't want to choke/restrict the main stalk...I figured it had healed/sealed itself back together at that point but within a few seconds after cutting the rope I heard it split back open.

It's been a while now, the plant hasn't been impacted by the split in any noticeable way. I have the branches all tied & supported now and they've been trained/bent down for almost a month so at this point there shouldn't be much stress/movement/tension on the area of the split.

I live in a very dry climate, but towards late flowering it can start getting moist in the mornings and chances of rain.

Just wondering what some of ya'll typically do with splits in the main stalk? Just support the split as much as possible and hope for the best lol? Since the inside of the split has dried out at this point I don't think it's likely I can get it to fuse back together.

Is there any benefit to using some sort of "sealant" on the split at this point (a month after)? If so, should I pack/seal up the entire inside of the split or just give a coating to "seal"/protect it (the inside of the split is exposed, but it happened almost a month ago so it has "scabbed" a bit and dried out)

LizardMan

One of mine did it this year i tied it with twine best i could and the plant is still alive. Even the stalk is growing over the twine

One of mine did it this year i tied it with twine best i could and the plant is still alive. Even the stalk is growing over the twine

My plant hasn't been impacted by it, at least noticeably. The two branches are bent down almost flat and all of the secondary branches rising up from them are growing healthy. They were never phased by it.

I used some small rope/twine to try to close up the split this time. But I removed it after two weeks, thinking it had fused back together, but it had not....I cut it because the stalk was starting to grow into/over the twine and I didn't want that to happen.

Ideally one should use something like that plastic-material plant tie since it will stretch/expand as the stalk does. That's what I've used before and usually use for such things but I ran out and didn't have any on hand.

I think that plant will be alright, shouldn't be much that will pull the split farther apart but it is something that's on my mind with that plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts