What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MAID

moose eater

Yes. I know of a fellow who became approved in BC, then wanted to change the location of 'service' to the Yukon Territory, and it potentially caused some issues, at least as far as delay to wishes was/is concerned.

Smokerman

Veteran
I called for a referral about 10 days ago and was waiting for first assessment.
Felt bad that I didn’t talk to my family dr first as I felt that he was somewhat against the whole process.
Went to see him yesterday and told him, he said he is there for whatever I want to do.
He just asks that I wait 3 weeks first, and if I still want to proceed he will start the process and give me first referral ( 2 independent dr referrals are required)

moose eater

It's a good program, from what little I know of it. Canada has been far more pragmatic than many nations.

I think most Docs try to be compassionate, though some allow their biases to rule their medical practices.

Good luck to you.

In the end, (no pun intended, but....) I take issue with the thresholds applied for who is eligible and who is not in the various states I've researched this issue out for. Most want a Doc's letter (possibly more than 1 Doc) stating the patient has 6 months or less to live. It typically ONLY and specifically applies to terminal illnesses, leaving out horrid and terrifying existences for others who might benefit.

Though those observations are in re. to the US, not Canada.

Peace to you.

Smokerman

Veteran
Canada chaneed the criteria from death is imminent to include chronic pain or patient does not agree with current or any treatment plan.
Next year will open a whole new can of worms, as people with mental health issues will be included.

Last edited:

moose eater

It's been my (philosophical) opinion that the differentiation between those who've suffered decades of horrific hallucinations or delusions or paralyzing depression, etc., from those who are strictly imminently GOING to die, is to place a lot of potentially arbitrary weight on quantification of time remaining to live/die and physical illness.

While it becomes pretty sticky to open the gates to those with mental illness, and it's been my opinion (including back when I worked as a MH clinician) that serious decisions that preclude changing of the mind once done, should be made in the clearest of mindsets, it's also a fact that we place some significant esteem on our own perceptions when we tell another, "No, you can make it through this. It's not all that bad." None of us can legitimately and sincerely/knowingly say that to another. The 'other' is likely somewhat aware of what they can and can't handle.

Religion also muddies the waters re. the sanctity of life.

I think your Doc asking you to postpone 3 weeks, or whatever another Doc might think is acceptable time to reconsider, is a wise thing that keeps everybody a little cleaner re. boundaries and outcomes.

A former friend, years ago, was known to often say, "What a difference a day makes." And sometimes it's true. Other times, it's just another 24 hours to suffer and wish someone would end it.

Again, best of luck to you in this course. The permanence of the outcome causes a hesitation for some. And it might ought to.