What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

CANNABEST

I am interested in learning how to grow shrooms. I have no knowledge on where to start or what I need.
I have the rooms and all the equipments with cannabis, but heard it use very different lightings not the HPS or DE lights.
What type of environment is ideal, same room set up like cannabis?
Can someone please point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

BudToaster

Veteran
I am interested in learning how to grow shrooms. I have no knowledge on where to start or what I need.
I have the rooms and all the equipments with cannabis, but heard it use very different lightings not the HPS or DE lights.
What type of environment is ideal, same room set up like cannabis?
Can someone please point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.
shrooms grow in the dark - imagine the center of a cow pie. they grow in CO2 until ready to fruit, then open to fresh air exchange.

you need syringes, jars of rye berry to grow the mycelium, then bulk substrate to grow the fruit (shrooms). 4 weeks to colonize the rye berries, 4 weeks to colonize the substrate, then harvest shrooms for another 2-3 weeks.

i suggest you read my posts in this thread - i have laid out how i do it ... and go to YouTube to watch the thousands of videos about how to do it.

BudToaster

Veteran
just put 2 qt jars of Nepal mycelium into 8# of bulk substrate in my new tub ... now just waiting on the mycelium to take over. soaked the jars for a bit over 24 hours before "planting".

BudToaster

Veteran
Well, this is interesting ... just checked the tub and mycelium is covering the entire surface of the substrate, in only 4 days. fastest i've seen so far. must be the new gear. or maybe the extra 4 weeks in the jar. lots to explore about this hobby.

BudToaster

Veteran
switched the first bin with the Nepal strain to fruiting 2 days ago. soaked the Burma jars overnight and got them mixed into 8# of substrate today, in a second bin.

i really like the gear from Max Yield Bins - they have a starter kit with base, cover, filters for the holes in the cover and liner for the base. i got this kit as a second setup. i added the colonizer cover. all very sturdy. nice work. and yes, this could all be done for about $25 in walmart parts, but i don't have time to figure it all out - for $150 it is done. ... well, maybe speaking too soon, won't know for sure for another couple of weeks when fruit should start to appear in the Nepal bin.

BudToaster

Veteran
kind of hard to believe, but today there are 3 baby shrooms in the Nepal bin. this is, based on the last two grows, super fast output ... have been opening the cover for fresh air exchange a couple of times per day. time to plug in the LED light that shows the shrooms which way is up.

BudToaster

Veteran
do you have to slice them, or are you doing that to speed drying?
i do it for more consistent drying - not as dense, so yes, speed up drying. 24 hours in open air, then in a desiccant box until crisp. i worry about mold and so far my tek is adequate. long term storage is okay in freezer or in air-tight jar with food grade desiccant pack for daily microdose use.

also setup the 3 outlet wifi power strip to control the LED 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off, and the humidifier running for 1 hour, 4 times per day.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've seen inoculated logs for sale with food variety mushrooms for sale in catalogs, allegedly supplies shittake mushrooms to eat for over a year. i'd pay very well for a set-up like that to reduce some of my stress etc these days. getting old sucks, the news sucks, gas prices suck, nerve damage sucks...:ying:

BudToaster

Veteran
i've seen inoculated logs for sale with food variety mushrooms for sale in catalogs, allegedly supplies shittake mushrooms to eat for over a year. i'd pay very well for a set-up like that to reduce some of my stress etc these days. getting old sucks, the news sucks, gas prices suck, nerve damage sucks...:ying:
re: nerve damage - have you looked at Paul Stamets' work - books and YT videos? his goto is psilocybin + lions mane + B3 (niacin) as a microdose for neuroregeneration. that is what i am exploring. i find it is not a daily thing - like exercise, my body tells me when to take a day or two break.

i get buried by FB ads for edible mushroom growing these days (the AI has my number 42) - many grow kits to choose from - pre-inoculated - just give it some time and space and shrooms a plenty. not for a year, these kits, more like several flushes over say a month. bags or boxes rather than logs - complete kits. not expensive at all. much easier than growing cannabis. some effort to trim and dry when the flush is running. hard to fuck up.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
You can buy mushroom spawn plugs that you drill into wood and seal (byo log, which I have plenty of). I am about to get some. I have tried a few kits which have worked out well. Pink oysters and lions mane worked a treat. Mushrooms are so interesting, even the non psychedelic kind.

@BudToaster, I have a Nepal from Chitwan NP that I got from sporeworks. I had a few spore prints that were in the fridge 3 years or so and just recently managed to get one going. It's mid winter here but they still go alright.

BudToaster

Veteran
@Chi13 - that's the same Nepal i am growing. i haven't learned how to work with spore prints yet. i find temp to be key during inoculation phase - ideally around 75F. i'm in summer now, so ambient temp - 70s to high 80s - is okay.

BudToaster

Veteran
kind of annoying ... there are small black fliers in the Nepal bin. appear to be coming out of the substrate. which is supposed to be pasteurized, which should kill anything therein (?) - except i had a couple of 1# bags of manure substrate that i mixed in, that has been on hand for 8+ months, so maybe the bags got infested? the fliers look somewhat like what came out of a 30# bag of cow manure i got for the cannabis, but never used because small black fliers came out of it and for a cabinet grow, that's a no go/grow.

so, thinking about no-pest strips, i checked the supplies cabinet, and lo and behold, there were two packs of sticky pads, non-poisonous, for use in a flea trap i had a decade ago - at least long enough ago i don't remember either the flea trap or the extra sticky pads - so inserted in the bin between the substrate and the inside of the liner ... and ... i am catching a fuckton of little black fliers. they come out with the humidifier on and are attracted to the LED above the cover and hit the sticky.

the lesson: use the pasteurized substrate immediately after receipt. it's a timing issue. it's a thinking issue, too, i think.

the fliers don't seem particularly interested in the shrooms. continuing to harvest: 6 yesterday, probably 10 tomorrow - flush is kind of slow compared to B+ or Golden Teacher where sometimes it takes an hour to process a day's harvest. but mycelium still looks very potent.

tl;dr - shrooms! fuck-yea! make it so, captain!

BudToaster

Veteran
production picking up a bit - plucked 14 shrooms of various sizes this morning - beautiful dark teal/blue color when i slice them ... and as an added bonus! the Nepal is self-harvesting, i.e. a shroom drops the veil and then falls over, practically detaching from the mycelium so i can just pick them up and put them in the collecting tray.

it appeared to me the mycelium wasn't getting enough moisture so i now do misting for an hour, every 3 hours. i just love the programmable wifi power outlets. Gosund is the make - their 3 outlet strip powers LED, airpump/humidifier, heater (not needed this season).

Latest posts

Latest posts