What's new

Lowering temp, but not humidiity.

SNiPerXP

Hi, I have a seed trying to sprout in a dome. I have her in 50/50 soil/perlite and the temps keep getting to 90 with the rh at 50%. I really like the perfect rh, but those temps are scaring me, so how can I try and decrease the temp inside my dome without screwing over the humidity too? Outside of the dome is like 10-20% humidity so I'm kind of stuck. All help is real appreciated.

Ganjaplanta

vent it.replace all the air inside for about 15-20 times/hr for fresh air and it should be fine.Use a humidifier(around 20 bucks on ebay)to crank the humidity up.

SNiPerXP

Thanks, I definitely will look into the humidifier, but right now the budget says no. Until so, I will have to try and just fan the dome every hour or whatever. I was thinking about poking a hole or two, maybe that will work?

BigTop

Heat is far worse than low humidity... much more stressful/harmful on the girls... the seeds will sprout at 20RH just fine... assuming all else is good.

I root fresh cuttings w no dome @ 30% RH (77F) & no misting... next to 100% w/in 3 weeks... let alone sprouting seeds... never even heard of using a dome for that...?

Just my opinion, but the dome is just trouble (& totally unnecessary). Peace

By the way 50% RH isn't ideal unless you're flowering and then it's still better to be higher. Around 70% is ideal with good airflow. Between 70% and 80% is ideal for veg. 50% is only ideal if your airflow sux. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of crap from kids quoting Jorge Servantes from HT but it's truth. Below 40% is very stressful and your plants spend all their energy trying to stay hydrated. They close their stomatas and growth slows to a crawl.

R3ZIN

By the way 50% RH isn't ideal unless you're flowering and then it's still better to be higher. Around 70% is ideal with good airflow. Between 70% and 80% is ideal for veg. 50% is only ideal if your airflow sux. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of crap from kids quoting Jorge Servantes from HT but it's truth. Below 40% is very stressful and your plants spend all their energy trying to stay hydrated. They close their stomatas and growth slows to a crawl.

Please can you provide links to back up your point of view?

Please can you provide links to back up your point of view?
Not much for links. I'll try and find some. Look into DoubleD's grows at THC F*rmer. That's just one of the places you'll find the info. The only reason to have low humidity is to control mildew and bud rot. If you have sufficient air flow you don't have those issues.
I'm just trying to help. If you don't have great air flow, keep your humidity low as you want. I try not to ever let my rh go below 55-60% even at the very end of flower. Never had the first issue with mold, mildew, or bud rot.