What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low Light Breeders

Rhizoma

Hello everyone,
I opened a thread in another site questioning the possibility to " breed for light" with the intent to develop a strain that need less PAR/ PPFD or umol/j to flower at its fully potential.

I read over here several threads mentioning VIC HiGh works and few comments about some of him/her strains that actually were requiring less light.

I decided to open this topic to have your opinion on strains that you have grow that displayed less light requirements than others or that were growing better than others under the same light requirements.

I am fully aware this topic could seem sci-fi and I apologise if you consider it doesn't deserve to be discussed, but I will really appreciate any experience you had or interest to discuss together this topic.
Many thanks
R

stunkfrunk

Plants can adapt to low-light environments through mechanisms such as highly specialized architecture, convex epidermis, palisade cells, chloroplast and leaf mobility, metabolic change and so on. So through breeding under low light I would imagine the cultivar would adapt over many years or decades.

Rhizoma

Plants can adapt to low-light environments through mechanisms such as highly specialized architecture, convex epidermis, palisade cells, chloroplast and leaf mobility, metabolic change and so on. So through breeding under low light I would imagine the cultivar would adapt over many years or decades.
Thanks for the comment.
Assuming a reasonable stable strain ( F4 above) takes at least 5-6 years if not more to be created, a few decades of works is not so unreasonable.
Under all the new sustainable needs breeding with the intent to reduce energy consumption to me is something which shine my mind:)

But to back to the initial question I was thinking about all the Netherland outdoor strains that were created to works in countries with limited light or short summer ( North EU for example). Considering a summer of 90 days, Netherland has 32% of sunny days and 68% of cloud.
During these 68% the umol/j of the sun which is defined approximately in 2,000umol is reduced to 1,000...so plants grow under almost 50% of the sun potential.

ankhori

The idea is not new,
Mandala Seeds breed towards low light power.
You can see the strains selected to work under 250W:

I recommend you Kalichakra, low odour smell while growing also.

Best of luck

Dude.K.

Not too experienced with these, but i think matt riot and notsodog mentioned cookies and deep chunk prefering lower wattage/ more shade. They talked about it on a podcast (breeders syndicate)

hfm

Hello I have some lemon g in something and it hates hid,grows terrible under direct light but great in the corner.I noticed some jungle stuff grows better on less light.Throw them in a corner and they do great,but under direct light you get deficiencies and stem bending.
If I were looking to create something along those lines I'd look for something that expresses little stretch but comes from somewhere with dense tall cover foliage or multiple layer ecosystems.Like a forest or jungle.

Latest posts

Latest posts