What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LouDog's LED Lounge

LouDog420

That looks fantastic! I am planning to wash with a machine and press into rosin this year. Any tips and or tricks you care to share? Looks like your drying the hash on parchment for how long? Are you breaking the buds up or is that from all trim? Thanks for the beautiful show :rasta:
Air drying causes oxidation and will result in darker colored presses. Press too early to preserve terps and color and wind up with a runny rosin (water). Press too late after a proper dry, and it comes out dark and more oxidized.

I use a freeze dryer, expensive, but can't be replaced in the process.

I only press hash when pressing rosin. Comments above are regarding pressing hash. I run whole flower and trim for water hash, then use that to press, generally just the 73, but sometimes the 160 and 25 bags are killer also.

First press for quality at 160F, second press for food grade quantity at 205F

150F for 12-24 hours to decarb and fill into carts with a glass syringe. No additives.

Any questions, just holler.

LouDog420

Gotta credit eric and his great thread for the mkp. Great read for anyone that hasn't: https://www.icmag.com/threads/60-de-nanolux-600-coco-dtw-setup-grow.360221/

Getting ready to flip the room after our last run. Got some funk growing in the AC, gotta strip it down and sterilize the inside. Then cleaning the room as usual, build some tables, setup new drainage, hang some LEDs, repot cups into 1s, set up irrigation, and get it on...

Planning to do it all in the next 3 days while holding down the usual day job... We'll see.

Pond liner in hand, LEDs in hand, really just tear down and build some tables. We've got the treehouse room to take down, but also a bare bulb pollination donut (tumbler bound) and a 5x5 tester run that will probably go straight to fresh frozen.

Otherwise, wrapping up the bare bulbs. Gotta yell timber when you chop these girls

OG Chem from rebel grown seeds... Easy 1.5#er, maybe pushing 2... this is one side of 4 (she's surrounded by 4x - 1kw). #10 fabric pot straight coco...
full

LouDog420

Snuck in a few hours of work after work... 3 out of 4 LEDs hung... AC sterilized... Room cleaned... Old bare bulb infrastructure removed... Drainage prepped for hookups...

Will run all new irrigation line (except for the PVC). The current pump should be plenty to run 84 drippers (2 per plant)

Waiting on some 240v extension cords for the lights to run outside the room to the existing 8 light controller.

Hopefully tables built and maybe a repot tomorrow, otherwise Friday it's on... Girls are ready to get out of cups after 8 days.

Every time someone takes a cannabis pic with a vacuum, BOG smiles down upon us and rolls another fatty

Respect

full

Last edited:

DunHav`nFun

RIP Bogster.....Legend due respect by far.....and damn Bro......I`m kinda weepy to see prolly the last old head bare bulb big plant grow done and gone.....RIP Tree room LOL.......but.....Onward and upward right bro?.....LED`s seem to be the future of dope growin without the excess heatgain especially if the drivers are kept outta the grow area......although......

I`m seein as you said the plants actually do better with the warmer temps in the low- mid 80`s like I always ran so maybe keepin the drivers in the room`s actually better ?......time will tell I suppose and at least most LED`s have the option of havin the drivers remote if needed.....and lastly......

Keep strokin my buddy......Respect for the hard work and dedication it takes to actually do this shit and get it right time in and time out.....Respect Lou.....

Peace......DHF.......

LouDog420

Hey nickman, good to hear from you.

I feel ya dhf. Hopefully the bare bulb will be reincarnated like the ship of theseus in a different location and maybe some new parts.

More worried about too low of temps, definitely leaving the drivers in the room. Might have to hang a couple 600s vert down the middle aisle if we're feeling frisky ;)

We've got a 24kbtu mini split sized to cool 4kw of hps plus some. Will be very interested to see what it does to the electric bill, especially once we flip over to cold air intake and free cooling this winter.

Probably will have to add a dehui now without all the HID radiant heat.

Lights alone, there's more than a 25% drop in power usage.

Very excited about some of the RKS x ChemD bx from Chimera and OG Chem x NYCO phenos we're about to run. Gave them a test from seed, but a bad case of OVS.

Lately, we're yielding quite healthy under the LEDs, so excited to try and do it right. Everything from clone. Looking healthy. Almost off to the races...

Stay tuned... LEDs are in

full

Last edited:

LouDog420

Thanks asher, still have hopes for the tree room to respawn somewhere, someday. I'm sitting on about a dozen HID ballasts, gotta do something with them!

Meanwhile, just notified I won some IC giveaway... Got some karma sour d bx2 and karma skullcap coming this way. You know we're gonna chuck it ;)

Meanwhile, cups now 11 days. Screaming for a repot. A little hardening off action as they move into the big girl room. Repot later today, and we build some tables. It's alive

Good vibes all.

full

full

DunHav`nFun

Gotta love your determination and resolve to keep the ball rollin Lou......The genetics and future pollen chuckin and pheno hunts makes the ride well more than worthwhile.....I`ll see about upgradin to a damn chair but I`ve been on my bucket in da corner so long with threads that actually enthuse me it`s hardta change with my old ass.......

This is the most i`ve posted in awhile so.....Keep up the killer job and I can`t wait ta see the outcome my buddy.....also..... Don`t mind LJ Farming . He`s a good friend from Potsnobville / Left Coast tryin to learn from the best so cut him some slack with his queries cuz he`s gettin there , just blinded by all the bro science on all the weedsites so I took him under my wing to get him dialed in.and your help is greatly appreciated..........

Peace......Freds.........

gmanwho

Veteran
I keep the feed mostly the same throughout the lifecycle. Double below values for LED except for calmag, watch the N as needed.

321 jacks
0-2.4ml/gal calmag
0-.5g/gal mkp
0.1g/gal pp micro
~1.1ml/gal armor si to ph
0.8ml/gal drip clean

Root bennies when I remember

HID mix generally comes out ~1.5-1.6ec, and LED mix without doubling calmag comes out ~2.6-3.0ec

Looking to swap the armor si for agsil or similar and drop the calmag with calcium alternatives, but simplicity helps and this gets the job done for now.

Upping MKP during transition and flower. Dropping N by dropping calmag in mid/late flower, dropping part b if needed. Then dilute nutes to 50% for a week or so followed by a 10-14 day flush to finish. There's a big difference in flushing 1s vs 10s though. I don't really have a set time to stop or lower feedings, I go by the look as I'm generally running a bunch of different plants off the same res which have different needs and finish times. Definitely not ideal but things seem to stack and quality is there as long as you hit the flush right.

Plant-Prod Chelated Micronutrient via custom hydro nutrients, just some extra micros for the girls and boys.

Considering boosting Ca more, but right now the flowering profile under HIDs is roughly:

N - 132
P - 73
K - 225
Ca - 115
Mg - 85

hey lou, with regards to increasing the ca, i often need to reteach myself something i once thought i knew, read, or practiced. i just read one of the prior posts from sept 24, and i was like "oh ya plant products micro, forgot about that gem"

Its been over a year since ive flowered anything indoor or made a nutrient feed from jacks or similar. messing with some soil amendments now. but i know thats another journey in itself. but wanted to add towards the end of my recipes i was adding a bunch of fine powder food grade gypsum to the coco before transplants. i thought that really made a difference. Plants definitely bulked harder, stems where thicker, plants where stacking "shelfs" under the branches. yields seemed to increase. the plants where healthier. if or when i go back to similar nutrient feeds i will definitely be adding in compost tea feeds weekly. that i felt increased plant yield and terpene production heavily.

was getting to the point where i tried 1.5- 2 cups per gallon, or i was running 3 gallon pots and i was adding in a "take out quart container "full of gypsum. what i do remember too was not to have a ton of water run off, you dont wanna flush that gypsum out. or atleast earlier in the plantings when possible, then after that i then thought i should be adding 2 sources of gypsum fine powder for fast release and granular for long term.

some of that can be refereed to slownickels info or preachings. he just came out with a water soluble micronized calcium sulfate(gypsum) and another micronized calcium carbonate(limestone). both supposedly are so fine they can be immediately be absorbed by the roots or as a foliar.

anycase thought id share.. just some food for thought...
bwell man!!

Last edited:

LouDog420

All good DHF, feels good to be posting again. There's no depth and longevity to the newer forms of social media. We're growing dope, nothing quick about it!

LJ's all good. Brought up some great points and always like to see alternative feed schedules and ideas. I've followed your bucket around too much and just prefer to keep it simple, babyshit, ya know ;) Single feed and let the girls rip.

Ah gman, thanks for the info. I remember the gypsum addition, and gave it a try also. Noticed the under stem 'shelves' but just never got another bag after it ran out! I'd guess I was probably washing a lot of it away with multi feeds to runoff, especially right away I like to really soak the girls. I never considered that (too much runoff)... Maybe a few applications would do it via topdress...

I backed off compost teas a bit, but they saved my ass when dealing with some root nasties. Critical for IPM and also helps with plant health. Currently I'm running Southern Ag for some bacillus asdjfl;kjdf, straight EWC, oregonism, and some of grandma's molasses.

I've been watching slownickel's new Ca products with interest. Might have to give it a try. Everyone I talk to these days is upping Ca much higher than my levels, I'm just not sure how to get there without overloading the N.

Great info, thanks man, appreciate it!

LouDog420

We're getting there... Table 1

Start with a base frame, because it drives me crazy not to be able to walk on a table when needed and in a tight space...
full

Add top sheet and top frame for pond liner. Vertical members to connect it all and hold pvc or something to build a trellis
full

test fit drainage
full

Pond liner, fill it with water to get into all those nooks and crannies
full

Filled, drained, and trimmed up
full

Drainage pieces
full

full

Rock and Roll
full

Last edited:

LouDog420

Main line irrigation is in. Individual feed lines are pending until we get the second table built and split up the girls.

5 days in 1s and finally settling in. A bit of a rocky start, using a new brand of coco, and they seem to not like it all that much until we were able to push enough fertigation through to reset the medium. Seems to be taking off now.

Second table build this weekend, and girls get the flip...

full

DunHav`nFun

It`s weird how some coco takes more juice than others to take care of their CEC / cation exchange capacity before releasin it back to the plants so they can blast off with that "hydro-like" growth we all know and love coco for......Hell.....I swore by lava rocks for almost 15 yrs before gettin froggy enough to try coco , but was damn glad I did ......and.....

It was a rough road dialin that shit in back in the day before folks realized about the CEC and extra Cal / Mag requirements for explosive and bottom line consistent yield production.....anyways.....I`ll be waitin and watchin from my `ol bucket in da corner for your new room to be all it can be so.....Take care , good luck and.....

Keep up the good work.......

Peace......DHF........

gmanwho

Veteran
Lou looking good. may u never see an accidental tare in your plastic,or a twist in your drain fitting. ask me how i know, lol. im such a klutz.

some food for thought. the pond liner or reclaimed rubber roof work well, overtime ive built a few a diy drip tables. linoleum floor roll works too. I would suggest putting a piece of landscape fabric or bug screen mesh over that drain. just cut like a 5in by 5in square. help to stop the coco from clogging those lines.

also if standing water is an issue, cause the last bit of runoff wont be able to make it over the drain bulk head fitting. take a small rope an stuff it down the drain tube a foot or so, and leave one end of the rope where the water puddles. as long as the rope down the drain is longer then the rope above the bulk head fitting, it should provide a wick action and gravity will pull water down the rope,removing the last of the standing water then evaporate.

Ive cut excess rope off the light hangers, works perfect. before u cut, make sure you move that rope ratchet the full length u expect to lower the lights, ever. then determine where to cut. (ask me again how i know about cutting to much rope off, then i couldn't lower the lights as far as wanted)

then putting the grid light diffusers under the pots to keep plants a 1/2in off table, also provides a loose coco trap.
Like they say many ways to skin a cat. just a few things i found. hope they help.

be well man!!

LouDog420

Thanks VG.

DHF, ya runoff still sitting a little low in regards to pH, gonna compensate with some bene teas and higher pH feed to get the rootzone back on track. Gotta dial her in with the new coco...

Thanks for the notes gman. Definitely plan to get a screen on the drainage. Interesting idea with the wick. I'd worry it will start to get funky pretty quick. Nothing some regular cleaning couldn't handle.

I've always used the egg crate lighting 2x4 panels to raise up pots. I'm worried that's asking for a tear with that egg crate plastic that can get sharp. I'd rather try a wick than risk tearing the liner this early on.

I'm thinking they'll be chugging enough water/nutes in a week or two (they're staying in 1 gals, flipped in the next day or two), I'll just stick the most thirsty girls in the last row to mop up some of that extra water. If I need to raise them, I have extra egg crate or corrugated plastic roofing. Will just want to make sure it's nice and smooth going onto the pond liner.

CO2 is on, and we're humming. Sitting between 800-900ppm for now. I generally don't go over 1,000ppm.

Thinking about dehumidification now without that extra HID heat. I'm sure we'll get something in there at least by week 4/5 as they start the bulk. Right now just planning a little ~35 pint stand up unit, since we have the big santa fe unit running in the basement already. Lights off was always pushing the envelope with just air exchange, now I fear it'll be worse with LEDs, so extra dehui is likely in the near future.

Good vibes all, stuck bucking the last treehouse then finishing off the room build this weekend. On top of catching up on normal work.

LD

Last edited: