What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Living organic soil from start through recycling CONTINUED...

jackspratt61

As the n cycle begins and nutrients digest maybe the n was toomuch slightly? Not in the beginning but when microbes got active
Lookup Eden blue gold..use their soft rock phosphate, aragonite and calcium silicate to amend your mix. The saponin products they have available are excellent.

St. Phatty

As the n cycle begins and nutrients digest maybe the n was toomuch slightly? Not in the beginning but when microbes got active

Ideally, I think if you are patient, each of us soil growers should learn to rejuvenate used soil.

BUT I admit, sometimes you need to go back to a baseline soil, and buy it in the bag or truckload.

There were bugs in some of my soil, that were chewing through the stem of newly hatched seedlings. I saw one baby centipede, not sure if that did it.

So sometimes I don't want natural soil, because I don't want bugs.

If I couldn't buy new soil, I might be forced to pasteurize/ heat the soil to get rid of critters - for the soil that seedlings get. Not something I want to do.

herbgreen

Veteran
I think the bale up promix is clean

Any baled up spagmum peat

Its the foxfarm or any complete mixed guano soil Its coming with bugs or the larve of future bugs no doubt

Its in the compost

Bugs are #1 on the menu for BATs the last I recall

Anyhow,

promix / sunshine/ etc [bale of]

Aggregate - Pumice Perlite

:poop: Worm casting

:poop:Bat Gauno

Lime

Kelp Meal

Lava rock in the bottom of the pot

Sprinkle in the Green Sand and Azomite rock dust

Good call on pasteurizing newly introduced compost!

Its the Shit we need to watch out for :poop:

That's how these critters get around

Last edited:

Bio boy

I'd suggest ditching the lava rock at the bottom. Google "perched water table in containers" to read more.
I wonder how this differs to a swick system apparent from a barrier it’s the same ? the Earth box and sip drop them like this and use as a res ?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Roots go through my 10 gallon bags onto the perlite wick, which is 2-3" above the water line. That is, if things are right.

I am startin to change out the wick water in my SWICK as best I can when the plants get serious about starting to flower. I make sure the reservoir has plenty of oxygen dissolved in the water.

Wow. I haven’t been on here in far too long. And so see son familiar faces and KIS dropping knowledge as usual!!

Rock on yall

Throwing buzzwords around with zero understanding. How about that lame fuck gay Eskimo looking Tad learn to send what his customers paid for and stop worrying about the buzzwords. I dare any KIS custie to quantify their purchase. It'll come up short.

"bruh have you heard about perched water table, it's the shit". No one knows what the fuck this means. Pretend all you want it's a pointless statement by one of the biggest dumb fucks I've ever evaluated in the stoner grower racket.

Bio boy

Throwing buzzwords around with zero understanding. How about that lame fuck gay Eskimo looking Tad learn to send what his customers paid for and stop worrying about the buzzwords. I dare any KIS custie to quantify their purchase. It'll come up short.

"bruh have you heard about perched water table, it's the shit". No one knows what the fuck this means. Pretend all you want it's a pointless statement by one of the biggest dumb fucks I've ever evaluated in the stoner grower racket.
Confused ? Are you hating tad? He’s been nothing but helpful and friendly to me , and perched water table well if ya don’t k ow highlight it n google it I knew this years ago before cannabis , however I’ve never really seen how it works when applied to sip so was doubtful in its claims for rot etc

I listen to his podcast he does it’s full of information that I have recently found out which is bot talked about like not adding mg to soil dolo or epsom and that’s truth I destroyed my last soil with it lol

KIS

I'm not sure what you have against me, I don't even know you. I will say no one has ever said I look like an gay Eskimo before, and I'm not sure why that's an insult.

Rather than resort to personal attacks, how about we stick to the topic at hand. I wasn't using "buzzwords" I was giving you the proper words to find the answer on the internet. I googled "perched water table in containers" for you. Here's the link if you would like to learn more about the properties of water in relationship to containers or "layers" in the soil. You're essentially raising your water table. Now if you were to say put rocks or a drainage layer underneath the container rather than inside the same container it's a different story.

There's more scientific links but these are pretty easy reads. Hope that helps, and I hope you have a great day!

Bio boy

I'm not sure what you have against me, I don't even know you. I will say no one has ever said I look like an gay Eskimo before, and I'm not sure why that's an insult.

Rather than resort to personal attacks, how about we stick to the topic at hand. I wasn't using "buzzwords" I was giving you the proper words to find the answer on the internet. I googled "perched water table in containers" for you. Here's the link if you would like to learn more about the properties of water in relationship to containers or "layers" in the soil. You're essentially raising your water table. Now if you were to say put rocks or a drainage layer underneath the container rather than inside the same container it's a different story.

There's more scientific links but these are pretty easy reads. Hope that helps, and I hope you have a great day!
Well I can’t afford the water meters for all 8 pots haha so now I’m takin that ima put wood poles in every pot like a dip stick lol

X15

I'd suggest ditching the lava rock at the bottom. Google "perched water table in containers" to read more.
Lol perched water table.
What are you trying to accomplish by telling people a 10 gallon potted plant with drainage holes in the bottom has a water table?
This kinda talk is confusing for a new grower. And completely useless.
Don’t believe this shit. Keep it simple and learn how to water your plants.

KIS

Lol perched water table.
What are you trying to accomplish by telling people a 10 gallon potted plant with drainage holes in the bottom has a water table?
Trying to let folks learn the science because it's counterintuitive. It is confusing, but it's not useless. Growers need to understand that adding lava rock or other layer in their pots just raises the water table, it does not increase drainage.

Whether you want to believe it or not, it's still a thing. Since you can't seem to google it and learn more, I will share a link for you:

Charles Dankens

Lol perched water table.
B1tjNfzCMAAde4M (4) (2).jpg

X15

I see the article or write up but I don’t see how any of this is Helpful. A potted plant has a root zone, we Agree yes? It’s an above ground Potted plant with holes in the bottom of the pot right? When you water it where does the water go? It goes down and out of the pot. So where is the water table?
Potted plants have A soil profile. That profile should be able to hold x amount of water. Rocks at the bottom might reduce The soil profile depth and overall total saturation but Where does the water table come in?
Are you referring to a hemphy style or earth box or other non draining pots?

X15

Y’all re mixing known terms to match some bro science article doesn’t help people. Watering potted plants isn’t that complicated and adding drainage Rocks to the bottom of your pots might have its advantages as well as disadvantages, it depends on what you’re working with and your style. I agree it does shrink your soil profile which I wouldn’t recommend doing If you’re relying on your soil to feed and power the plant. But some low drainage soil mixes are Vertically challenged (as I call it). Id be more inclined to see more drainage than not enough. A potted plant has a moisture content which is forever changing based on a number of things.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
As i understand it a perched water table means that the soil can suck up water like a sponge and a layer of gravel doesn't reduce the height it can be sucked up it will increase that height because the soil will still suck up that water, just sits a little higher because of the gravel. Oh and the height it can be sucked up is determined by the soil and not pot size. That is also the reason u can overwater smaller pots more easy

mbwiu3dqq5951.jpg

Charles Dankens

Y’all re mixing known terms to match some bro science article doesn’t help people. Watering potted plants isn’t that complicated and adding drainage Rocks to the bottom of your pots might have its advantages as well as disadvantages, it depends on what you’re working with and your style. I agree it does shrink your soil profile which I wouldn’t recommend doing If you’re relying on your soil to feed and power the plant. But some low drainage soil mixes are Vertically challenged (as I call it). Id be more inclined to see more drainage than not enough. A potted plant has a moisture content which is forever changing based on a number of things.
"Don’t believe this shit."

X15

As i understand it a perched water table means that the soil can suck up water like a sponge and a layer of gravel doesn't reduce the height it can be sucked up it will increase that height because the soil will still suck up that water, just sits a little higher because of the gravel. Oh and the height it can be sucked up is determined by the soil and not pot size. That is also the reason u can overwater smaller pots more easy

View attachment 18825244
Yeah I understand it’s dependent on the soil, there’s a huge variety of soil mixes being used….
But what I want to know… how Does water defy gravity and stay suspended over gravel or rocks With drainage holes on the bottom of the pot?
the drawing is cool and all, and I’m not trying to come off as a dick…. But your ideas and pictures don’t make sense.