What's new

Livestock

bobcat1963

Parker Schnobel
Veteran
Anyone raising anything they would like to talk about?
I have about eighty of these

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 11

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Made me think of the first time my college roomie went to a friend's farm and saw pigs for the first time. He kept saying they are furry! He thought they were smooth like cartoon pigs. we laughed for years at that one, thanks for the memory. My kin run stock, but it has been years since I was around it.
H

igrowkushbitch

I had a lot of chickens but I got drunk one night and forgot to lock them up (my chickens are free range). And a cougar or a coyote got in my coop and straight slaughtered my chickens. It was like D day from saving private ryan. I was so hung over and I had to clean up what was left of them. There were heads and feet everywhere, bodies torn in half. Only 3 chickens survived the whole ordeal. I also have 25 alpacas and 37 cows.

igrowkushbitch

Damn, I bet a big pig could definitely do some destruction. Do you ever eat your pigs? I use to live in hawaii and we would always be roasting full pigs in the ground. Soooooo good.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I can't wait to have my own farm one day, hay fields and cattle for me.

Hey igrowkushbitch, what kind of cattle do ya'll have?

RoachClip

I hold El Roacho's
Veteran
When i was 16 to 17 I worked on a huge farm with pigs and cows and chickens and it was the best job i ever had and I had more fun working there then any other job when i was that age.

We would have to get the pigs up to make sure none of them were dead and when I would open the barn sliding door the little piglets that got out of the huge wooden pens would grunt and run like hell so funny.

We also would give the cows shots behing their ears and tag then with these plastic tags that were different colors etc and the farmer would let the workers buy chickens to take home for $2.50 back then so all in all it was a great experience and physical demanding job but a healthy job :yes:

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
Anyone raising anything they would like to talk about?
I have about eighty of these

I love raising animals.Thats how I grew up.I would like to teach my childeren the same because I think raising your own food is gonna be a very valuable skill to have one day.

I want a farm.I dont see it happening though.Shit is too hard in America now.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Nice, I've been looking at those australian lowline angus. They have great feed efficiencies, but I think it would be a specialty market. They probably wouldn't sell very well at the auctions here.

How do yall sell them?

igrowkushbitch

Nice I haven't heard much about them. I am sure they can handle a lot if they are from Australia. What type of climate do you live in? I doubt those guys could take much snow though. As for selling our cattle we just load them up and take them to be processed at a meat processing plant in the next town. Kinda hard to say bye to them but its worth it when you get the check. We just don't name any of them, they are all "cow".

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I'm in the southeast, the winters here are mild.

We had a record breaking snow fall this last winter, it was 4 inches. We also get a lot of rain, about 3.5" per month.