What's new

Lights blown near end of veg cycle

I'm running a small indoor grow with what was once a working 315W CMH setup. Two days ago while moving stuff around the power to my lights turned off and on twice. I thought the setup had a fail-safe to protect the bulb/ballast, but apparently not. My plants lost their sun!

I examined the bulb and it's definitely kaput (burn marks inside). I immediately obtained a replacement bulb, installed it today, but it's not working!

I've tried removing the timer, replacing the bulb, and two different electric sockets. Unless the new bulb was coincidentally damaged, it appears some part of my ballast/fixture is broken. Any advice on attempting to diagnose the problem and fix it? As of now I have two 40W CFLs as an emergency measure. This was an very basic lighting setup, am I right in assuming it's donezo?

Any ideas? If not I'm going to replace my entire light setup ASAHP!

troutman

Seed Whore
Having a backup light sure helps in times like this.
You may have to get one until you figure this out.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Does the driver have any sort of power light usually?
Is it an iec socket? a loose plug sounds like it could of caused this. It may of burnt the plug or socket. The socket may have a fuse panel.
If it's not an IEC connection, is there actually a connection at all, or just a lead coming out. If just a lead, does it have full structural integrity, or does it bend easily, perhaps in one direction more than others

Having a backup light sure helps in times like this.
You may have to get one until you figure this out.

Yea, lesson learned. Also, you get what you pay for. Currently looking into all my CMH options. I'd prefer to upgrade to a higher quality setup rather than replace with the existing lower quality product that might break again this year, but there's the time factor.

Does the driver have any sort of power light usually?
Is it an iec socket? a loose plug sounds like it could of caused this. It may of burnt the plug or socket. The socket may have a fuse panel.
If it's not an IEC connection, is there actually a connection at all, or just a lead coming out. If just a lead, does it have full structural integrity, or does it bend easily, perhaps in one direction more than others

Thanks for the reply. There's no power light on the setup. I don't know much about electrical terminology, but I think I followed. It looks like the ballast uses an IEC connection/cable and plugs into a standard wall outlet. I don't think it's the wall socket as my fan still works on all the plugs the ballast won't start with.

Neither the socket for the bulb nor the cable have outward signs of damage and aren't lose. My gut tells me the bulb socket is the most likely contender. Should I try to replace it?

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Your lead between wall socket and Light has no fuse then? Some countries do, some don't.
If that wasn't loose, and wobbling it makes no difference, then the lamp holder is another option. I have seen plenty of shoddy wiring jobs heat and and smoke inside of light units. Perhaps your nose knows.

Latest posts

Latest posts