What's new

Light cycle

Bewarned

Seeds are in there root riot cubes ....when vegging inside this spring what light cycle should I run?
Will be putting them outside the first of may ..weather permitting. ...at my location I will have 14 hours of daylight and 10 of darkness at that tI'm of year..should I use 14-10 for vegging my plants so they don't start early flowering when placed outside ?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I used to do 15 in new England..Don't see why 14 wouldn't work as well..yeehaw..but I have never tried it...

tech1234

Last year I picked the day I was putting them out in the sun light and looked up how many hours of (real, as in excluding dusk and dawn) light are on that day and then I set my light timer for about 30mins less so that when they finally went outside the days got longer for them everyday until fall

species

Last year I picked the day I was putting them out in the sun light and looked up how many hours of (real, as in excluding dusk and dawn) light are on that day and then I set my light timer for about 30mins less so that when they finally went outside the days got longer for them everyday until fall

And that worked well for you?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This would be my suggestion.
It's how I try n start my OD grows as well.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Is there any reason you can't just start them in the GH straight away?

Seeds don't need supplement lighting outside, but clones do.

If I were you I'd be doing everything in the GH under natural light. Throw a Mr heater in there if you have too

tech1234

Is there any reason you can't just start them in the GH straight away?

Seeds don't need supplement lighting outside, but clones do.

If I were you I'd be doing everything in the GH under natural light. Throw a Mr heater in there if you have too

I think this is best as well but some of us live in the damn places that spring is cold! Too cold for a small heater and big heaters are too expensive

I wish there was some definitive science on start time/production. As I have heard both ways from og growers. some say start as early as you can indoor (or GH) and some say the plants are gentically designed to only live for so long (in nature) and that exceeding that is not any help or potentially harmful... idk

jd123

What jointed one said. Seeds in my area usually get an early-ish may planting date. I don't start them until the beginning of march. If I started them now, they'd get way too big.

Mine go into the GH around april first with no supplemental.

Last edited:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
I Lived in humboldt doing a decent sizes outdoor few a few years when I started. My opportunity came through some folks that were vehemently opposed to running clones. They claimed it was unpredictable wether they would just go into flower. I got some clones anyway in May and poof went into flower. Then talked to a few people who had the same experience.
I hired on a partner and he grew clones outside pretty well the year before. Neither of us could figure it out.
we got a tray he wanted and it flowered. So I bought another tray of something I wanted. It went into flower.
Well come late May I was given Some more and they bary showed flowers and went into veg but we're stars by about three weeks.
At the end of May the magic happened with the next tray. We put it out on June first.
Them another tray success. The. We just kept filling beds with clones all the way til aug.
at one point we even put out a tray of sour d in July grew a 35x 6 hedge and got 35 pounds on nov 18th harvest.

What we learned.

Clones planted after June 1 st outside don't need supplemental lighting. In May you need a little light.
What I didn't understand was why seeds were fine then

Seeds are prepubescent sorta. After about 6-9 weeks they can start pre flowering in response to light cycle.
Before then they are not triggered to flower with an increased dark period.
We had a green house packed with close to a thousand seed plants we started March. None went into flower.

Clones are exact copies of parrents and are sexually mature from the word go and will immediately respond to dark time hours.

My advice is a heating mat and dome wth vent holes opened and lid offset.