What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Licensed Hemp Grow - Commercial Build Out in Rental Property

Hi,

I live in one of the 12 states that doesn't have rec or medical weed. I'm not sure if growing indoor hemp is a good business to start.

Most of the commercial buildings I have seen are not insulated and tin with giant roll up doors. What needs to be done on the inside of these buildings that you can control the climate to grow in? or what kind of building is better suited for growing in?

Thank You

The best option I have come up with is shipping containers with mini splits. and they can be moved easily if needed.
I saw the modular panel grow rooms but you have to ask for a price and the HVAC system seems more complicated.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I got lost in the legal aspect. You want to grow a field crop, legally, under lights?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I still don't get it. Hemp makes $500 an acre. A ton is worth about $300 before costs. I can't see your business model. Why would a Licensed Hemp Grow be in a rented warehouse. There is no suitable build, it won't pay the rent.

"High-quality hemp CBD flower sells for about $300 per pound, according to Hemp Benchmarks. CBD biomass—which includes leaves, buds and some stalks—sells for about $0.48 per percent CBD per pound."

I'm thinking that a 40ft shipping container - 9 lights - 18lbs - $300/lb - $5,400 per container

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sounds like medicinal?

It's certainly nice to pick up a container and run, if you must. However if that's likely, you might want to think about a box van instead. It's paperwork will expire, but clone plates will get it moved that once.

If it's legal, then look on Alibaba as seriously large tents are really very cheap. A warehouse roof should be ample for hanging all sorts of equipment outside the tents. Insulation board weighs nothing, and you can soon cover a tent up. Instant sealed clean rooms, with reflective walls. All insulated with the only tool a wood saw to chop the boards.
3 crops a year is 17 weeks each. Can't you do two in that time? It's not viable to set out cuttings in the space they will flower. It's too much wasted space. Roughy a third of your space should be veg, and it will reach flowering size in that veg space. Then the flower space of two thirds, gets run twice. Net result, a third more output.
That's still all wrong though, as it presumes one flowering space, and the veg big enough to support if. Half that veg time, they don't need half that space. For a third of the flowering time, the next plants just need a propagator.

This is really impossible to answer, until you have a viable unit. Only then can you look at loading docks being walled off, as is normal in heated warehousing. You can take in racking at the same time, like a warehouse build. Keep it all low key, as it's a cash crop not bottled water. Set up racks for people to see through the doors at the back of your loading bay, on the rare occasion you allow people a glimpse to keep them happy they know what's in there. Your biggest concern will be smell as many people won't be able to shut up about it.

Containers are quite restrictive. You need a corridor 40cm wide at least, and that leaves just under 2 meters. It's an awkward size to light, as lights are generally looking at 1 meter or 1.2 meters. I would do straight down the middle with the 40cm isle and have a ~ 90cm system each side. Many people would instead have a meter walkway and 1.2m deep grow. You cant really reach any further, no matter how tall you are.

You could look at old refrigerated plants/trailers/lorries. However each is a different challenge and you may want something more scalable like the tents. Keep in mind that a 3x4 (meter) tent is common to fit a domestic room, but where you use multiple tents with access around them, you can't reach the middle of a 3x4 tent. You want 2M or 2.4M wide, and long as you like. Insulation boards are 2.4 so the 2M is best, as the roof boards can reach out to sit on the wall boards. Keep in mind some wall boards will be split vertically so as to lift out a section as a door occasionally. While the main door wants a wooden frame as movable boards disintegrate over time.

It's all quite easy, with careful planning. I'm not sure about splits though. You will use up the typical storage units power capacity with lighting. The splits will lower the plant count, by taking their electricity. Factor in noise, and they're not very attractive. It's all about the unit though. You can't design anything until you see the unit.

Latest posts

Latest posts