What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legalize drugs to stop violence

Solus

Editor's note: Jeffrey A. Miron is senior lecturer in economics at Harvard University.
art.bailout.jpg
Economist Jeffrey Miron says legalizing drugs would greatly reduce violence.
corner_wire_BL.gif

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts (CNN) -- Over the past two years, drug violence in Mexico has become a fixture of the daily news. Some of this violence pits drug cartels against one another; some involves confrontations between law enforcement and traffickers.
Recent estimates suggest thousands have lost their lives in this "war on drugs."
The U.S. and Mexican responses to this violence have been predictable: more troops and police, greater border controls and expanded enforcement of every kind. Escalation is the wrong response, however; drug prohibition is the cause of the violence.
Prohibition creates violence because it drives the drug market underground. This means buyers and sellers cannot resolve their disputes with lawsuits, arbitration or advertising, so they resort to violence instead.
Violence was common in the alcohol industry when it was banned during Prohibition, but not before or after.
Violence is the norm in illicit gambling markets but not in legal ones. Violence is routine when prostitution is banned but not when it's permitted. Violence results from policies that create black markets, not from the characteristics of the good or activity in question.
The only way to reduce violence, therefore, is to legalize drugs. Fortuitously, legalization is the right policy for a slew of other reasons.
Prohibition of drugs corrupts politicians and law enforcement by putting police, prosecutors, judges and politicians in the position to threaten the profits of an illicit trade. This is why bribery, threats and kidnapping are common for prohibited industries but rare otherwise. Mexico's recent history illustrates this dramatically.
Prohibition erodes protections against unreasonable search and seizure because neither party to a drug transaction has an incentive to report the activity to the police. Thus, enforcement requires intrusive tactics such as warrantless searches or undercover buys. The victimless nature of this so-called crime also encourages police to engage in racial profiling.

Prohibition has disastrous implications for national security. By eradicating coca plants in Colombia or poppy fields in Afghanistan, prohibition breeds resentment of the United States. By enriching those who produce and supply drugs, prohibition supports terrorists who sell protection services to drug traffickers.
Prohibition harms the public health. Patients suffering from cancer, glaucoma and other conditions cannot use marijuana under the laws of most states or the federal government despite abundant evidence of its efficacy. Terminally ill patients cannot always get adequate pain medication because doctors may fear prosecution by the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Drug users face restrictions on clean syringes that cause them to share contaminated needles, thereby spreading HIV, hepatitis and other blood-borne diseases.
Prohibitions breed disrespect for the law because despite draconian penalties and extensive enforcement, huge numbers of people still violate prohibition. This means those who break the law, and those who do not, learn that obeying laws is for suckers.
Prohibition is a drain on the public purse. Federal, state and local governments spend roughly $44 billion per year to enforce drug prohibition. These same governments forego roughly $33 billion per year in tax revenue they could collect from legalized drugs, assuming these were taxed at rates similar to those on alcohol and tobacco. Under prohibition, these revenues accrue to traffickers as increased profits.
The right policy, therefore, is to legalize drugs while using regulation and taxation to dampen irresponsible behavior related to drug use, such as driving under the influence. This makes more sense than prohibition because it avoids creation of a black market. This approach also allows those who believe they benefit from drug use to do so, as long as they do not harm others.
Legalization is desirable for all drugs, not just marijuana. The health risks of marijuana are lower than those of many other drugs, but that is not the crucial issue. Much of the traffic from Mexico or Colombia is for cocaine, heroin and other drugs, while marijuana production is increasingly domestic. Legalizing only marijuana would therefore fail to achieve many benefits of broader legalization.
It is impossible to reconcile respect for individual liberty with drug prohibition. The U.S. has been at the forefront of this puritanical policy for almost a century, with disastrous consequences at home and abroad.
The U.S. repealed Prohibition of alcohol at the height of the Great Depression, in part because of increasing violence and in part because of diminishing tax revenues. Similar concerns apply today, and Attorney General Eric Holder's recent announcement that the Drug Enforcement Administration will not raid medical marijuana distributors in California suggests an openness in the Obama administration to rethinking current practice.
Perhaps history will repeat itself, and the U.S. will abandon one of its most disastrous policy experiments.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Here's the white house's public ploy to stop the cartels from killing americans. Great - now they'll just kill mexicans.

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration plans to send more agents and equipment to the southwestern border to fight Mexican drug cartels and keep violence from spilling over into the United States.

Speaking at the White House Tuesday, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said officials were still considering whether to deploy the National Guard to the border. She plans to meet with the governor of Texas to discuss the matter.

Deputy Attorney General David Ogden pledged "to destroy these criminal organizations" through a united effort on both sides of the border.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton will travel to Mexico Wednesday for the start of several weeks of high-level meetings between the two countries on the drug violence issue.

Many of the moves announced Tuesday are a continuation or expansion of programs that already existed under the Bush administration.

Violent turf battles among the cartels have wracked Mexico in recent years, and led to a spate of kidnappings and home invasions in some U.S. cities.

Authorities said they will increase the number of immigrations and customs agents, drug agents and anti-gun trafficking agents operating along the border.

Prosecutors say they will make a greater effort to go after those smuggling guns and drug profits from the U.S. into Mexico.

Officials said President Barack Obama is particularly concerned about killings in Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana, and wants to prevent such violence from spilling over into the United States.

Among the moves the government is making:

_Doubling the border enforcement security teams that combine local, state, and federal officers.

_Adding 16 new Drug Enforcement Administration positions in the southwest region. DEA currently has more than 1,000 agents working in the southwest border region.

_Sending 100 more people form the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to the border in the next 45 days. A recent bill passed by Congress already provided money for the ATF to hire 37 new agents and support staff in the region to fight gun trafficking.

• Boosting the FBI's intelligence and analysis work on Mexican drug cartel crime.

The administration is also highlighting $700 million that Congress has already approved to support Mexico's efforts to fight the cartels.

Yet the plan so far falls short of Texas Gov. Rick Perry's request last month that 1,000 troops be sent to bolster border security in his state.

During a visit to El Paso last month, Perry said he had asked Napolitano for aviation assets and "1,000 more troops that we can commit to different parts of the border."

Asked then it he wanted the military, Perry said, "I really don't care. As long as they are boots on the ground that are properly trained to deal with the border region, I don't care whether they are military troops, or National Guard troops or whether they are customs agents."

Last week, a Perry spokeswoman said that federal border protection had been underfunded for some time and that the 1,000 extra troops Perry requested would fill in gaps that state and local agencies have been covering.

While Mexico has insisted the U.S. take more responsibility in the drug fight, officials south of the border have also bristled at the increasing "militarization" of the border.

Mexico officials are likely to welcome the stepped up efforts north of the border, but they have argued that much of the extra border security added recently has made illegal immigration more dangerous and done little to nothing to crackdown on the illegal weapons trade.

_____

Contributing to this report were Associated Press writer Christopher Sherman in McAllen, Texas, and Traci Carl in Mexico City.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i agree completely that all "hard drugs" should be legalized, it would reduce violence, take out cartels, and provide a lot of well paying jobs for people all over the world

If people are taught responsible use, and not demonized and jailed, there would be no "drug problem"... Well, at least no more of a problem than alcohol or prescription pills...

contrary to popular belief (i'm looking at you here, koroz), one cannot write off a substance as "evil". what may be addictive and harmful to one person can be helpful to another... everything has its purpose, and many chemicals are great fun in moderation.

drug laws are just another form of oppression and exploitation. I believe in only 2 laws:

1. Life is to be enjoyed
2. Not at the expense of someone else

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
i agree completely that all "hard drugs" should be legalized, it would reduce violence, take out cartels, and provide a lot of well paying jobs for people all over the world

Yeah, and it will allow darwinism to do it's job. Not necessarily a bad thing to have a little cleansing of the gene pool - we're starting to overload the earth, let's face it. A little population control is going to be needed one of these days. Legalize all that junk and let the fools kill themselves with that poison.

I'm really open minded, but when it comes down to someone making a decision to smoke crack, shoot dope or tweak out on meth after watching someone else do it - please. That's just stupidity and not giving a shit.

Sorry for the rant... But I really do like the idea of wiping out drug laws. Just make sure the tweakers have to go to a tweak room, those fuckers just wander out in to traffic and go nuts, we don't need that.:abduct:

anarchist

How any of illegal drugs are worse then alcohol or legal pharma junk? Legal drugs are even more dangerous then illegal ones.
It's funny that a lot of very dangerous legal drugs with horrible side effects are perfectlly fine and legal, but some natural and more safer drugs are not.
Prohibition is bad, we did fine before and we'll do fine after prohibition. We have common sense and everyone need to be educated and use his own mind. Fuk the government, they shouldn't tell us what to do and how to live our own life. Their only problem should be violence and protecting us from violence, even then I prefer to protect myself.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Mexico officials are likely to welcome the stepped up efforts north of the border, but they have argued that much of the extra border security added recently has made illegal immigration more dangerous and done little to nothing to crackdown on the illegal weapons trade.

I find this pretty interesting. They realize the wealth transfer of dollars to Mexicans is extremely valuable for their citizens and economy but they don't like us protecting our border. It's not physically unsafe for illegals, they are just more likely not to be allowed to stay. What the Mexican government would like from us is that we only stop guns and leave illegals alone. Lets just ask them to follow that same policy on their Southern border. To Mexico's need and right to expect us to stop weapons flow I say I'm with them; to their intimation that we allow illegals to suck our country dry I say phuck you Mexico.

bobfily

Very interesting thoughts, I have often heard this. That is, the fact that the legalization of what is prohibited can bring positive results in the form of a decrease in the level of criminality, including violence. I also read a few posts on xxxxxxxxxxxxx that only make this point true. I will try to look for illustrative examples from different countries, as well as more recent research on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Yeah, and it will allow darwinism to do it's job. Not necessarily a bad thing to have a little cleansing of the gene pool - Legalize all that junk and let the fools kill themselves with that poison.
Just make sure the tweakers have to go to a tweak room, those fuckers just wander out in to traffic and go nuts, we don't need that.:abduct:

yes! look at the incredible amounts of money the govt spends on the "war on drugs". if legalized, no economic reason junkies & tweakers shouldn't be given access to clean pure product. Great Britain gives their registered heroin addicts their daily fix in the morning & sends them on their way. much cheaper than if they were all committing crimes to get their fix. traffic? you can't keep morons at home... lol. but i admire your take on the situation.