What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Led temperature

Redrum92

Yeah, suppose it makes a big difference if we are talking veg. No buds/terpenes to burn. Definitely hotter is better there.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Photorespiration takes over at 78° so in theory 77° is perfect leaf temp for any higher C3 plant
You mean, the upper limit in cannabis plants for this specific process? Yes, I definitely agree.
Polymerization theory doesn't pan out. You may end up with high glass transition compounds, but what will they smell like at room temp or? Anyone? If you mean methylates acetates, etc, where do those come from? A properly harvested bud will smell sweet, and it's acidity and sharpness will perceivably increase over time. It's aroma and effect will increase, as the plant becomes more acidic and alcoholic. How does this happen. Not through synthesizing liquid terpenes. But by focusing on the primary metabolism from which the interesting secondary metabolites, not Leaflynenes, derive.
Polymerization is just one aspect of aging cannabis. Great job at explaining additional actions going on during the same time, thank you so much. Again, the malawi cob curing process really goes to town in the 'other than terpenes/cannabinoids' process.

The low volume of volatiles in today's cannabis can be boiled down to 2 factors: Breeding for growing metrics instead of smoking metrics, and metabolic waste in the plant not being broken down into volatile alcohols, acids, oils, and water.
So true. :)
You're in soil now Douglas. You need to update the bro science. Think about organic matter. To decompose organic material into volatiles, and water, knowledge on the formation of low molecular weight carboxylic acids is important. Low molecular weight carboxylic acids are usually the refractory materials in wet oxidation of organic waste.

The agnostic viewpoint is to create liquids and turn them solid. The alchemical approach is to create solids and break them down into gases.
I'm personally working toward living soil amended with rabbit manure, rich in HS and micro/macro elements. The goal is allowing the plant to harvest available resources through interaction with existing fungi, bacterial and enzymatic behaviors.

What I want is to find a balance where there really are no excesses of plant available elements in the soil. Plants 'do' organically absorb only what they need, aaaaand...

cannabis also absorbs freely available elements in excess of what it needs, as well as elements it has zero needs. As far as I'm aware, there are conditions of element deficiency where acids are created and the pH near roots can drop dramatically. This condition easily makes excess elements available, and the drop in pH causes optimal uptake for various elements along the way.

When these excess elements/molecules are absorbed and not 'used' they become 'fixed' to new growth tissue. These vast majority of these fixed elements/molecules do not 'flush' out (lol), become used by plant processes over time, or move back out of the plant at any time.

Yeah... it's going to take a minute. Until then there are teas. :)

Show me the refrigerant in a skunks anal gland Douglas.
Apples and 747's? They have nothing in common, unless skunks have a waxy anal gland exposed to the outside air? Nope... go fish. ;)
The world has been led to view the universe as having been built upon nothing, while it is obviously not an addition to nothing,but a subtraction from everything. Simple math tells us this. The terpene synthesis pathway in Cannabis is like a Satan, imitating the spirit of God, yet in compete reversal. It's ironic that you soulless Coloradians can't grasp the nature of reality, what the universe is; the rotting corpse of a dead god.
Good drugs?

GoatCheese

Veteran
I find the humidity much easier to control with temps in the upper 70Fs. Below that and it gets to humid or too cold with ambient in the mid 60Fs. A 100w led doesn't get warm enough in my tent.
If you have a carbon scrubber in your tent do you have the exhaust ON all the time?

If you do, i recommend you use a timer on it – have it ON for 10-15 mins every 60-90mins or so, this way you get the temps and the humidity up better.

Cannabis doesn’t like cold windy environment most of the time and having the exhaust ON all the time can create quite a bit of air movement thru a smaller tent.

- Having the circulating fan in your tent blowing at your light will also help moving warmer air around your tent – it’s also better for your plants not to have the fan blowing directly at them cause this will cause them dehydrate faster under led lights = the yellowing issue.

These are helpful and easy tricks to try if you have a smaller tent. Small tents are sensitive set ups and it’s easy to create too much air movement thru them and inside them.

Redrum92

^As long as the air flow isn't blasting directly on plant, humidity and temp coming in are okay, I've never had a problem with that. Have often left my output fans on 24/7. If, however, you are replacing hot humid air with cold dry air, and blasting the plants directly, i agree they'll struggle

Definitely good to have a "lung" style room outside of your tent if you are running small

Hatery1967

first time using leds. What is the best temperature to keep your room during flowering. I have heard you are supposed to run the temperature hot like in the eighties.
Temperature control in an LED grow room involves balancing the energy input from the LEDs with the heat output from the room. The temperature of the room can be calculated using the following equation:

T = (P * Rth) + Ta

Where T is the temperature of the room, P is the power input from the LEDs, Rth is the thermal resistance of the room, and Ta is the ambient temperature.

To prevent overheating, it's essential to calculate the thermal resistance of the room, which is the ability of the room to resist heat flow. The thermal resistance can be calculated using the following formula:

Rth = d / (k * A)

Where d is the thickness of the insulation material used in the room, k is the thermal conductivity of the insulation material, and A is the surface area of the room.
If you want more info like this you can go to https://plainmath.net/electric-curr...tions-based-the-behavior-circuit-above-figure where I try to explain with simple words math and physics problems.
By understanding the physics and math involved in temperature control, growers can optimize their LED grow room's temperature for maximum plant growth and yield. Like I love to say, math gives answers to everything.

Last edited:

early_bird

Veteran
I appretiate the mathematical aproach.
But...
You forgot ventilation, without taking into consideration that the warm air is moved outside the room, your formulars are going nowwhere.

And the link you posted is about circuits, not thermal calculation.

Last edited: