What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED reflects light incorrectly to Security Cameras making plants appear Pale Green

IOW, security/surveillance cams are a poor monitor of plants under LED

I've noticed this effect in my own experience but a good example can be seen here:

https://media.growdiaries.com/stati...vine-geneticschem-cookies-aka-gmo-cookies.jpg https://media.growdiaries.com/stati...vine-geneticschem-cookies-aka-gmo-cookies.jpg

Under LED's the plants "look" deficient in Mg (and maybe N) but under normal camera flash/no flash the plants appear more as they actually are, and that is NOT deficient, so it's not the plant, it's the light illuminating the plant upon photo capture.

freaking photos won't upload correctly

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I do wonder if cameras will see things we don't, using different light sources. Like chromatography. Picking up absorbance or lack of, then making some sense of it.

OldSSSCGuy

Color correct the images, or adjust the color balance in whatever capture app you are using. If you cannot white balance the camera, consider putting a sample color bar in the background that you use to adjust the color and contrast of the image.

Color correct the images, or adjust the color balance in whatever capture app you are using. If you cannot white balance the camera, consider putting a sample color bar in the background that you use to adjust the color and contrast of the image.

but that's the problem, when I take a photo with my ipad it automatically color corrects the image whereas there are no settings or anyway that I know of to color correct a live stream from a security camera.

IOW, the security cams stream video (and I take snapshot still captures of that video) is "fixed" in the security cam (and apparently the viewing app) so there is no way to color correct the security cam video.

My larger point is, if you are an OCD type person like me and use your security cam to constantly view your grow, you will, like I have, develop an incorrect assessment about deficiencies, etc. Your nute adjustments will be incorrect because you are basing the nute adjustments on an incorrect color representation due to the security cam.

I think it's due in large part to the fact that LED's have poor CRI (Color Rendering Index) and security cams don't adjust for this fact.

I do wonder if cameras will see things we don't, using different light sources. Like chromatography. Picking up absorbance or lack of, then making some sense of it.

I wonder if we could somehow use this lack of ability in security cams to our advantage, like being able to spot a deficiency earlier than using a color corrected picture?

OldSSSCGuy

I think you may find that the image adjustments in basic sec cams depend on the software you monitor/capture them with. Whether using a Raspberry PI webcam up to Blue Iris, the capture software can offer a set of adjustments which just might balance things for you.

I think you may find that the image adjustments in basic sec cams depend on the software you monitor/capture them with. Whether using a Raspberry PI webcam up to Blue Iris, the capture software can offer a set of adjustments which just might balance things for you.

I can't find that correction in either my Google Nest or Arlo cam and both of those cams are the two best selling cams on the market? hence why I am sad

OldSSSCGuy

I can't find that correction in either my Google Nest or Arlo cam and both of those cams are the two best selling cams on the market? hence why I am sad

I would never use any security device which sends it's info to someone else before it even let's me see it. Much less in a grow, but that's just personal choice. To each their own. Silly me, I even lock my front door when I leave my house (smile).

Reactions: Gry

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I feel sure Skype can be set to auto answer contacts on an allow list. Perhaps with cam. So a remote camera may only need be an old smartphone. Even a new one at the cost of some now. Run payg it could offer another camera choice that's fairly private and not using anybodies contract.

Edit: Skype classic had the feature but it was removed and classic won't run on os10

Must be a 'watch my dog' app somewhere

Latest posts

Latest posts