What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED recommendations for the tropics?

Thighland

I'm in Thailand, where it's either hot or very hot, same with humidity. I'm growing outdoor, using a light for veg. ATM I've borrowed a friends, it's 240w, but am looking buy my own. I'd like something for around 1m sq or a touch less. If it's only for veg will any half decent light do? At a glance, the lights with several bars, rather than a single unit look cooler. Is this correct? Thanks.

xet

Ensuring your LED unit has a waterproof driver powering the LED unit will help protect your investment.

Keep close to 5500 Kelvin spectrum for maximum photosynthesis, maximum vegetative growth. There are so many different kinds out there, even the spectrums can differ from one brand to another although they may even be claiming the same spectrum.

Thighland

Thanks Xet, I should clarify that I will veg indoors, then move outside. But you've got me thinking, a water resistant unit would be a good idea. This is the Mars FC-E 3000, would it be overkill? I'm planning about 6-10 decent size plants once they're outdoors. Do the lights with the separate configuration run cooler than the single units?
1689_mars-fc-e-3000-led-grow-light-commercial-greenhouse-medical-for-veg-flower.jpg

goingrey

Seems like a pretty decent light for your purpose. Overkill for small plants but that's why it has a dimmer. There's some diaries in the Mars Hydro section if you want to take a look.

The separate slabs might be a bit cooler at the light but it all adds up and the amount it increases the temperature in your tent (or other grow space) will most likely be the same. It's all about the watts.

Growenhaft

Do the lights with the separate configuration run cooler than the single units?
of course, the heat output is distributed better in the beams than if this were only one unit... however, the overall heat output of these leds is quite low... the beam distribution is intended to distribute the light better... correspondingly also the low emitted heat.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I use 4 foot fluorescents for seed germination and the seedling stage. They run super cool. When the plants get 4 sets of leaves or run out of space, I put them under the veg light. 😎
IMG_0034.JPG
222_0117.JPG
222_0141.JPG

Thighland

Thanks for the replies, I ordered the light today. I'm impressed with how cool the LEDs run. Creeper, 30 years ago I used the fluros and was quite impressed. You're getting good results.

Latest posts

Latest posts