What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED help!

exoticrobotic

cmh is quite a bit hotter than hps but not a problem with a fan blowing accross the canopy.

The plants seem to like the heat with the light.

early_bird

Veteran
Damn Early Bird you made me think a little to hard on that response, time to medicate! I received my lux meter a few days ago and used it to set light height. I have 5 lights in my flower tent so it was rather helpful since I don't keep a even canopy. When I fill the tent with 4-5 plants it will be very handy to get each plant dialed in. I am liking LED lighting just still unsure of spending the money on a "good" light. The idea of being able to set different heights using multiple lights sparks my interest.

DNZL
Sorry for so much details in my post, after doing some online MIT Math Courses recently a lot of technical details like integrals over functions of Energy sounds pretty clear to me :D
For your light meter, good choice, exactly for this, calculation even canopy, is your light meter a great tool! As long you are comparing the same light source, if your grow space mix 2 differnt lightenings, like LED + HPS, comparison is useless with the light meter, that´s the point i was about to make :)

I think the plant uses all light from the sun, all the spectrums. Never bought into the blurple stuff, blue and red and ignore the rest. The plants evolved under the sun, why would they use a small fraction of the light?

I understand you can grow with limited spectrum, but ideal chemical balance in the cannabinoids and other stuff in the plant to help the high be the best it can be.
Nothing to do with beliving, i try to make what a mathematician would do, try to make a proof ! :)

Go to a forrest and walk under a dense canopy of green leaves. One thing you may notice is that you don´t need a torch to light up during the day. It´s a bit darker, because of no direct sunlight, but nothing bad, you are able to see well there. So you have a lot of light there!
Not check out the bottom, you will see that not really much is growing there, little plants here and there who don´t need much light but no serios bushes, smaller trees or lot of green!
So, we have 2 facts, first there is quite a lot of light, second - plants dosn´t grow well at theese places under a canopy.

Why ?
The answer is the canopy above filters blue and reddish light out who plants need! Greenish light is not filtered through of the rays penetrating the leaves.
Humans can "see" well there, our eyes are made for this kind of light but for plants it´s a entire different thing.
There is not really much left for them to work with, because green light is nothing they can really use.

This proves that a plant who gets mainly green light without much blue and red don´t grow well.
Now turn this statement arround - a plant need blue and reddish light to grow well.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You do math I will smoke the buds. A plant doing well is your opinion. I am smoking them. Missing some light or nutrients or other can affect the outcome of the chemical composition of the plant.