What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED and BUD QUALITY

Recently I grew some plants under Electric Sky V3, HLG 350R, and HPS . The HPS buds are great as usual. The Electric Sky buds are nice and aromatic, close to the HPS. And the HLG buds
are less aromatic and less taste but still pretty decent. It seems like the extra far red spectrum of the electric sky really did help the quality. Have you guys noticed similar results??

pjlive

I've only recently started using far red satallite fixtures to help stretch lower side branches a little closer to the uppers. I do like it. I find I have to be careful, tho. Too much stretch is not always good and can add a little too much spacing between nodes for my liking. I have not noticed changes to my bud production or densities.

unnamedmike

LED or any other under powered bulbs (low w CFLs) will not mature the trichomes enough.
They will grow killer plants, very healthy, but dont do much for in flowering.
there's a reason why your HPS buds are great, can you guess what it is ? ;)))
Hey joe !
Do you have something that support your words? Please can you share the scientific study talking about the different in maturation times of hps vs led in cannabis?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'd like to hear that as well. I switched from almost 2 decades of HPS to LEDs the last few years. My flowers are still amaaazing as always. :) Then again, I am still growing at 65F to 70F at around 20% RH. ;)

Terp production (and more importantly retention) is just awesome. When you have flowers from a terrible run, that have been over dry and sitting around for months, and it STILL has more flavor (on the last hit in the bowl lololol) than the first hit of the better dispensary weed around, you know your terps are at least 'ok.' lololol

snakedope

No need to talk and bring science into what normal eyes can see and prove alone

LED Flower:
LED FLOW.PNG

HPS Flower:
HPS Flo.JPG

HPS Flo 2.JPG

I guess a lot of people just like to smoke trichome stalkes.. oh well.

unnamedmike

snakedope

Show me, show me a pic like i showed u under LED... full trichome heads across the entire flower structure leaves etc... sorry, you wont find one.
LED are great dont get me wrong bro, they are not fitted to flower anything, not stuff that need the highest intensity ever, science says to up the ppdf when your flowering, but science also told u not to go over 1000 ppfd as its not necessary, when you dont go above and beyond (in light intensity) you will get poor resulst, no matter the light source, and LED prove that, just look, leave the science papers in favor of your eyes for a sec.

snakedope

Very nice result, i also had 16 plants under LED panels, 15 of them had only trichome stalks, almost no glue or full matured trichome heads, 1 of them was a duckfoot and was looking funky from the beginning, turnes out his the only one who had trichome heads, terps also, but still, not enough, not mature enough, not good overall.

Yours look killer, i hardly see people get to those kind of results under LED.
what do you think you did that got to this result under the LEDs, and do other strains u did perform the same like this ?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Ty so much. :)

Everything comes out super terpy and resin rich.

Balanced feed at a strength barely able to support robust and healthy growth.
R/O water, always used without pH adjustment. (soil/hydro no difference)
3 COMPLETE exchanges of air per minute
65F to 70F temperatures (the most fragile terps vape at 70F)
20'ish % Humidity

Transpiration is very high, 'stretch' is almost non existant, yields of plant structure is lower, resin yield is significantly higher.
You will want to veg longer. ;)

xet

Show me, show me a pic like i showed u under LED... full trichome heads across the entire flower structure leaves etc... sorry, you wont find one.
LED are great dont get me wrong bro, they are not fitted to flower anything, not stuff that need the highest intensity ever, science says to up the ppdf when your flowering, but science also told u not to go over 1000 ppfd as its not necessary, when you dont go above and beyond (in light intensity) you will get poor resulst, no matter the light source, and LED prove that, just look, leave the science papers in favor of your eyes for a sec.
Yeah just go check out Ed Rosenthal's instagram feed, I'll wait.

snakedope

Well, i guess there are exceptions :)
Like i said, i also had a duckfoot that showed good trichomes under the LED i had, and i had a 1000usd LED panel, 800w..
It wasent enough, still didnt have a "high" enough feeling, didn't have enough glue to compare to any HPS flowers that i have or smoked before people started switching to LEDs..

The thing is, im growing over 15 years, never had any problems like those i am laying out for you to consider, we have medical ops in my country for 10+ years, their stuff was always killer, high terps and killer high that most people here would avoid if i offered them a toke of it just because it was too damn strong..

In the last 2-3 years something has changed, no more glue, almost no smell, no high...
i mean, what happened ?
its across the board, everyone, the medical ops, the hobby growers, the gangsters, everyone now have shit to smoke, they deliver high g\w figures but the stuff itself is no good, not worth 1 dollar.
So, the soil remain the same, the strains are the same, everything is the same except one thing, they all changed the lights to LED.

The commercial and medical ops around here used to grow outdoors and HIDs, no one ever complained and quality was above the chart, so above that a gram used to cost 30usd !
you probably wonder where im from ? ;)
Now a gram cost here 5-7 usd, as quality went downhill so badly its not even worth the 5-7 usd.
It gets to a point where rolling tobacco is better then some of the weed they sell here, well most of it not some :D

My conclusion about this whole thing is that there are some strains that can do fine without so much intensity, my duckfoot plant had the terps, had some glue, nothing comparable still,
But 95% of strains wont do good under LEDs, its just a fact, look at LED grow diaries, mostly you will see flowers like the LED flower pic i put, 90% trichome stalks, almost no heads, and if there are heads, they are under developed, now switch to CMH and HID grow diaries, Chunckys, B4URTIME, these people dont leave the MH\CMH\HPS, and for good reason, they get killer results.

Its not smoking mirrors but an actual phenomena, something is not right.
Cant be that all those guys that delivered killer shit all of a sudden have no idea what they are doing..
The culprit is the thing that changed, and the only thing i saw changed was switching to LEDs

I took a trip to some hydro stores here, they all have massive qty of 1000+ HID kits just sitting there, no one wants to buy them, everyone has switched to LEDs...
Not to proclaim myself to nothing, but im well connected where i live, used to have the most killer shit ever, now ? im just rolling tobacco...

CannaJoey

LEDs are definitely a plus for me. I have great buds from this LSD and my tent stays 70-75F
173F6098-79DE-469A-A8D2-D1FAFCD86F44.jpeg

Attachments

• 59E6670B-76E7-45F9-804D-41BE14171F0F.jpeg
    59E6670B-76E7-45F9-804D-41BE14171F0F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 231

snakedope

LEDs are definitely a plus for me. I have great buds from this LSD and my tent stays 70-75F View attachment 18738020

Science says 85F is optimal, if you can keep it at that.. less then 77F you are nearing a "freezing" point in terms of photosynthesis power, we dry at 65F...
Take that in mind, i also seen improvement with LEDs when u keep heat above 82F like Kimes said.
Heat is your friend, dont avoid it, it what makes them grow, just dont burn em :p

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hey joe !
Do you have something that support your words? Please can you share the scientific study talking about the different in maturation times of hps vs led in cannabis?
There is s thread @ the swiss forum where people discuss the effect of the lm301 leds on trichome ripening. Some state that it's harder to get amber trichomes with them. I noticed that too but my observation was more like the trichomes turn more yellowish than amber(kingbrite 240w with extra 660's)

Reifegrad unter lm301

Latest posts

Latest posts