What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED and BUD QUALITY

[Maschinenhaus]

From LED manufacturer Valoya. A strongly research based cannabis growing ‘optimised sunlight’ spectrum.
Closely follows the same recommendations as Bugbee.

Ultraviolet, 400nm and only 2%? So they can advertise with it. The ratio of 660nm to 730nm is not good either, but it's great that you can advertise with it.

Now take a look at Full Spectrum Live -> Light spectrum daylight - noon cloudless sky

lichtspektrum-mittags-me.jpg

Very good SMD LED from Seoul Semiconductor SunLike

SunLike_1.jpg

SunLike_2.jpg

JKD

Veteran
@[Maschinenhaus]

With that spectrum they’re not trying to replicate sunlight.
As with what Bugbee advises, they are optimising. Enough green to produce white light for troubleshooting pests and nutrient deficiencies. Enough blue to keep internodes close. Enough UV/blue for optimal terpene and cannabinoid production. Red for flowering and fixture efficiency, IR for Emerson effect etc.

If you want a fixture of theirs that replicates sunlight, they manufacture one for researchers. They call it ‘LightDNA-8’. You can tune it to replicate sunlight anywhere on earth with 90% or greater accuracy.

Last edited:

snakedope

that flower is ruined by the led, send it to me and i''ll throw it away for you!
Good luck with that, looks like a million bucks,
I bet it's medicore at best, no disrespect to the grower.

Sunlike ? Spectrum wise yeah... Nothing to push those spectrums though.

snakedope

It does, at a rate of 150-200 per sec... Not enough, but you are going to stick 300 of those all over the place and then add them up as if they are 1 giant diode on the iphone calculator so I guess this will do... 🥱

Charles Dankens

I've only ever grown w sunlight and led. I built a cob rig about 6 years ago. Ive upgraded it 1x. It uses cree, vero and meanwell equipment. 8 Cobs are mixed 2800 to 4k on. A 24 x 44" frame . I briefly added a far red bar. I do use the migro uva.

I've grown a few A+ level flowers through the years but , with this rig, very rare to have disappointment with presentation, resin, flavor. I'm almost never satisfied w potency.

My space is 26 x 48 x 80"

Attachments

• 11-26-od-x-c99-1.jpg
    11-26-od-x-c99-1.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 11-22-nl-x-h-1 (1).jpg
    11-22-nl-x-h-1 (1).jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 11-1-nl5.jpg
    11-1-nl5.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 11-29-marsala.jpg
    11-29-marsala.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 11-26-od-x-c99.jpg
    11-26-od-x-c99.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 7-24-Kali.jpg
    7-24-Kali.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 56

JKD

Veteran
Conclusions

• Every light source tested had unique performance characteristics, including their spectral outputs.
  • The PPF efficacy of a light source is but one performance characteristic that should be considered.
  • A spectroradiometer is needed in order to assess the spectral output of a light source.
  • Changing the definition of PAR will make it more difficult to compare published results that used the current definition for PAR (400–700 nm) with results published based on the extended definition for PAR (ePAR, 400–750 nm).
  • The sooner the scientific community can agree on definitions that describe key performance characteristics (e.g., waveband ranges, photosynthetically active radiation), the less confusion there will be when these performance characteristics are used to make plant lighting decisions.
  • Due to the rapidly improving LED technology, it is critically important to have a consistent system for measuring and reporting lamp characteristics.
  • Due to the challenges involved, commercial growers are encouraged to experiment with new light sources on a small growing area, before deciding to scale up to large production areas.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i read that while you were posting it! good find!

the distribution on that valoya does look good. thank you!

Reactions: JKD

JKD

Veteran
If you built a luminaire using 5w laser cutting diodes within PAR spectrum, would your trichomes ripen, or would your plants die?

I think a problem with using lumen-seconds and source intensity is they are photometry measurements related to human eyesight (hence lumen), and not photobiology terms relating to plants.

Everyone’s still discussing different things.

Last edited:

Charles Dankens

yep, i agree.... only once is 20years+ of growing can i say we grew ass-kickin weed-
I think a partial explanation is tolerance/familiarity and bias. Friends report a different potency experience. It reminds me a bit of how its easier to enjoy and be less critical of food you didnt have to make for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKD