What's new

Leaves yellowing and dying sativa indoor grow

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Kia ora Hempkat,

Very interesting about scoring the roots to alleviate the tight rootball when reporting from a rootbound state! I am by no means experienced, just learn from my mistakes and acquire new knowledge along the way.

I had read mixed advice on repotting during flower, ideally you shouldn't have to but I messed up haha. I didn't notice any negative response when she was put in new soil, and about a week and a half later she had nicely accommodated the new soil with roots. Sativa's reportedly are quite active with their roots during flower and this is what I observed. I have, without a doubt, sacrificed bud growth this grow.... In the future I hope to never have to repot during flower! :tiphat:

Thanks for for taking the time to reply!

Maka :dance013:

Yeah it usually isn't a problem to up pot during early flower it's usually in the later stages where it might hold the bud development back some due to shock. I don't have much actual experience with sativas because they just really didn't fit well into my grow schedule where I live. I could have done them during the summer if I felt comfortable enough growing outdoors but since I don't and only grow indoors summer just gets too hot to control temps working with multiple 1000W HIDs. So I usually took summers off and then grew indicas and hybrids the rest of the year. So it's good to know that root growth is still quite active in flower with sativas, I'll try to remember that for future reference if I ever find myself growing sativas in a hopefully legalized world. With indicas and at least the hybrids I worked with it seemed like up potting in flower would just disturb the bud growth and mostly be a waste of soil and potentially lead to other problems if one wasn't careful. So I always made it a point to up pot about 2-3 weeks before switching to flower and that always seemed to work out well for me.

As far as experience I kind of feel like the least experienced grower is the person who acts like they have all the experience in the world. What I mean by that is that there is always something new to learn. Few of us have a deep scientific knowledge of growing marijuana and then there's always new techniques being discovered and added to the growing community such that there is inevitably something new to learn all the time.

Another thing I like to say is mistakes aren't really mistakes if they cause you to learn and do better the next time around, which I'm sure you have and will, good luck in the future. :)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
i forgot all about cutting off the outer layer of a root ball when up-potting. That is supposed to be a good trick. I try to fluff out the roots so they have a chance

That kind of works too but if you're up potting, say a 5 gallon pot to a 10 gallon, then the root ball you would be "fluffing" would be a bit hard to work with in that way. Not impossible but with the scoring trick it's just much quicker and easier I think. I picked up the scoring trick from an older, wiser grower, when the infamous site OverGrow was still around and it always worked out well for me.

MakaLacka

Yeah it usually isn't a problem to up pot during early flower it's usually in the later stages where it might hold the bud development back some due to shock. I don't have much actual experience with sativas because they just really didn't fit well into my grow schedule where I live. I could have done them during the summer if I felt comfortable enough growing outdoors but since I don't and only grow indoors summer just gets too hot to control temps working with multiple 1000W HIDs. So I usually took summers off and then grew indicas and hybrids the rest of the year. So it's good to know that root growth is still quite active in flower with sativas, I'll try to remember that for future reference if I ever find myself growing sativas in a hopefully legalized world. With indicas and at least the hybrids I worked with it seemed like up potting in flower would just disturb the bud growth and mostly be a waste of soil and potentially lead to other problems if one wasn't careful. So I always made it a point to up pot about 2-3 weeks before switching to flower and that always seemed to work out well for me.

As far as experience I kind of feel like the least experienced grower is the person who acts like they have all the experience in the world. What I mean by that is that there is always something new to learn. Few of us have a deep scientific knowledge of growing marijuana and then there's always new techniques being discovered and added to the growing community such that there is inevitably something new to learn all the time.

Another thing I like to say is mistakes aren't really mistakes if they cause you to learn and do better the next time around, which I'm sure you have and will, good luck in the future. :)

Last paragraph says it all, live life with that in mind and you'll be alright :good:

Latest posts

Latest posts