What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaching of nutrients from the new substrate

kukac

Greeting

I apologize for the possibly stupid question.
I made a DIY Octopot and would like to try it with one plant. As far as I know, I need a nutrient-free substrate, and I can't get it where I am.
Can the nutrients be washed away by classic rinsing with a lot of water? Without screwing up other characteristics of the substrate?
Finally I would rinse with RO water with adjusted ph.
Thank you

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Can you get substrate for seed planting or rooting cuttings? Those should be unfertilised.

kukac

I have seen some problems with coco coir in Octopot. And I would like to avoid that.
Perlite alone does not have enough wicking ability. Usually 40% perlite is added to the soil
@stiff

Last edited:

goingrey

Why would you need nutrient free media?

This is what they say on the Octopot website.

1694583573060.png

kukac

I always prefer to look at experiences, rather than what the manufacturer says.
Experience shows that the substrate with nutrients for some reason reduces the progress of the roots into the reservoir. And when the substrate draws nutrient solution from the reservoir, it could be too hot.
Simply, the plants grow better and healthier
Sunshine 4 and Pro mix performed best. Both are without nutrients. And without problems
With coco coir, the amounts of calcium and magnesium need to be adjusted too often.
@goingrey

Last edited:

goingrey

I always prefer to look at experiences, rather than what the manufacturer says.
Experience shows that the substrate with nutrients for some reason reduces the progress of the roots into the reservoir. And when the substrate draws nutrient solution from the reservoir, it could be too hot.
Simply, the plants grow better and healthier
Sunshine 4 and Pro mix performed best. Both are without nutrients. And without problems
With coco coir, the amounts of calcium and magnesium need to be adjusted too often.
@goingrey
Ok I see.

Well I think the issue is that the prefertilized soils will have slow release fertilizer which might be a chore to flush out.

Maybe you can recreate the Sunshine mix?

Ingredients:
Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
Perlite
Dolomite Lime
RESiLIENCE® (silica)
Wetting Agent

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would say fine potting soil + coco + perlite is fine and easy to come up with. Even coco + perlite will work. There is a diference between the nutes measured in soil mixes and those added, you just need one that doesn't have them added. It's normal for any mix to have some nutes. The ones with added ones that are slow release I would never consider them fit for cannabis anyway. We want to feed our nute formula to our plants, not their slow release nutes that are tailored for flower planters to last weeks without nutes.

stiff

Veteran
Why not trying a seed raising mix..they usually come with very little fertiliser. I personally would probably stick with coco/perlite and the calmag

kukac

Thanks everyone for the answers.
I think I will try it with the soil that is available to me and mix it up
Soil: coco coir: perlite in a 3:3:4 ratio.
We'll see
Thanks again