What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landrace Sativa from Ethiopia That Closely Resembles Lamb's Bread

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
From what little I know, when the emperor was deposed, the revolutionary army promised not to do anything bad to the Rastas, even if it took away from them part of the land and particular powers granted by the negus; in reality in the following decades things changed also worsened due to the great famines and humanitarian crises that have hit Ethiopia...
But yes,many Rastas went to Sashamane, some remained, there is still a community (even if from what little I know a small tourist trade based on alcohol, drugs and prostitution has been created in the area...).
If I remember correctly our friend brother @ULMW lived in Sashamane for a while....
He know better the situation....

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I had contact with a Dutch guy once, who went there for a study research project, brought seeds at home. The leaves of his plants grown outside btw were not as thin as on the photo of the young Lee Scratch Perry in this topic.
South-Indian varieties have very thin leaves compared to the Himalayan regions of India.

thanks for the thread ..I heard they weren’t really invited..and disappeared/ never returned..

[this was a story decades ago]

only other thing is I hope the brick weed photo there isn’t supposed to be lambsbread
Not brick, but rather cobs.
Traditional for Africa as it turns out here's a FIRE thread

Not saying that photo you're reefering to is a cob but its interesting to know.

Reactions: Rgd

mexcurandero420

Veteran
It's all fantasy ... It is more likely that Ethiopian seeds were brought to Jamaica in those years rather than the other way around .... remember that the herb was traditionally used by some tribes in Ethiopia (Ethiopia is a large country , with different ethnic groups)...
Shashamane is a piece of land that His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I has given to all African Americans who wanted to return to Africa, this offer was mainly answered by Rasta (but not only) Jamaicans ...
But cannabis was already being grown in Ethiopia ...
There are many stories and legends about cannabis, the Rastas and Ethiopia, which over the years have become great truths ... from the black grass to the era that grew on Solomon's tomb, to many other stories ... But they are just that , stories, to give a sense of strength and unity to a constantly evolving movement ...
To conclude, a reflection: Ethiopia is the promised land of the Rastas, could they bring seeds to the promised land? (considering that they would already find cannabis there, and definitely of quality)
Bless...
Screenshot_20240108-143145_Chrome.jpg

mexcurandero420

Veteran
One of the first mentions of dagga in Africa was made by Friar João dos Santos in 1609 whereby he mentions that throughout Kaffraria in Ethiopia, the indigenous occupants grow a herb called bangue. He describes the plant as being similar to the ear of coriander in both the grain and ear but states that the leaf differs to that of coriander. He writes that the leaf is comparable to the clove gillyflower. Dos Santos explains how the natives dry the leaf and stalk and then grind them into a fine powder. From there, the powder is eaten and complemented with water. He states that the people who consume the bangue act in a drunk-like manner after eating it. Walton (1953) reiterates that dos Santos mentions the cultivation and use of dagga by the eastern Shona in the 16th century.

Philips (1983) and van der Merwe (1975) offer that the first solid evidence for dagga smoking in Africa was unearthed by J.C. Dombrowski in 1971 in Lalibela in central Ethiopia. Dombrowski dated a number of artefacts from the surroundings stratigraphy layers where the smoking pipes were located and he concluded that dagga smoking was practiced in Ethiopia in the thirteenth or fourteenth century.

Du Toit (1980) offers his own hypothesis that dagga spread from south Arabia through Ethiopia. It is well known that that the Amhara originated from Arabia and an array of commodities proceeded and followed this Semitic incursion- during this process plough agriculture, a zebu strain of cattle and various agriculture products spread to Ethiopia. Du Toit (1980) is unsure as to whether dagga was one of these products. Du Toit (1980) relies on the evidence supplied by Dombrowski (1971) and van der Merwe (1975) with regards to the pipes excavated in Lalibela in Ethiopia (as mentioned above). Du Toit (1980) concludes that these pipes imply that either dagga came into Ethiopia from southern Arabia or alternatively, it spread from the east African coast in a northerly direction from Bantu-speaking people to the Cushitic people. Du Toit (1980) highlights that one of the issues with this hypothesis is the fact that Lake Tana is in the central northern region of Ethiopia and that there is no significant evidence to say that there was a trade route between modern-day Kenya and Ethiopia.

1704799904661.png

mexcurandero420

Veteran
I had contact with a Dutch guy once, who went there for a study research project, brought seeds at home. The leaves of his plants grown outside btw were not as thin as on the photo of the young Lee Scratch Perry in this topic.
South-Indian varieties have very thin leaves compared to the Himalayan regions of India.
Some photos of the plants he grew.

atta_054801_image_000547EFF6.jpeg
atta_054800_image_000547FFF5.jpeg
atta_054680_image_00056FFFFB.jpeg
atta_054679_image_00056E6F03.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest posts