What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kingbrite W55 Bar Light Test

ledtime

The efficiency and price of the right UV led's would make you cry. This is why reptile and fish people don't use leds for UV. It's only medical professionals treating skin disorders. As a guide I was offered 100mW leds iirc and they were £300 each. Yes you heard me, on a reel not individual. Time to sell the car if you want UV.

I'm not sure what you will find in our lights. Something totally useless because people keep asking I imagine. The reptiglo cfl is about 14% efficient in the right bands. Watch for polished reflectors as it's logical but ineffective for UV. Paint them white.

Edit:
LEUVA66G00KF00 126°, 10mW @ 100mA & 7.5V £50

LEUVA66H00KU00 120°, 70mW @ 350mA & 7.5V £125

LEUVA77N50KU00 120°, 300mW @ 350mA & 30V £250

Plus VAT and P&P

I guess I had a knee jerk reaction and cut my project short. Looking again, that's a 10w led at the top for £300 (I rounded the prices to hide my invoice from prying eyes) and it's 3% efficient.

The reptile cfl I found has the same specs as Sean's from Migro. I haven't bought it yet, but I am going to.

Hey ledtime I am surprised that your PPFD chart is way better than the one from the factory on the alibaba website. Did you notice that?

Quitters

I learned a lot from our DIY'ers here and they have made some cool lights. Through them I learned of Kingbrite on Alibaba. They have a 600W - 5 Bar - LED light here: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.wholesale.deiletai6.4.163ace85lHj0jx

Yesterday I finally received my Apogee SQ-520 quantum sensor so that I could really test this baby out. Here is my PPFD map for the light. I only did the measurement to keep the PPFD at 1k or under as I don't supplement with CO2. I'm pretty amazed with it. Running it at 600W at 14" from the canopy, these are it's measurements:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85313&pictureid=2110457&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Can I get a high five? That's an amazing PPFD map for a light that is $600 delivered to your door. Customer service from Vivi at Kingbrite has been amazing.

I see a ton of questions about lights, but nobody has really reviewed their bar lights.

Thanks ledtime for sharing your efforts. I like the spread of the bar lights better too for sure tho I can't see paying an American company double for the closely equivalent lights offered by Kingbrite, Meijiu etc, especially if your on a tight budget.. I'd be torn between these KingBrite's and the Meijiu Majo's or even their F-series (Chilled type light) but the KB's are definitely less expensive.. find that sweet spot with the proper ventilation just under needing Co2 or just go crazy with more ppfd and supplementation !!

Your footprint findings are very pretty close to theirs..
picture.php

Footprint provided with the link you posted.
picture.php

LM301h Full Spectrum model
picture.php

Last edited:

ledtime

Hey ledtime I am surprised that your PPFD chart is way better than the one from the factory on the alibaba website. Did you notice that?

I did. I just used a brand new Apogee SQ-520 to do the test. They are Apogee's best for LED lighting. Maybe my sensor is better than the one they tested with?

I definitely can't be mad that my results are better than what they advertise.

ledtime

Thanks ledtime for sharing your efforts. I like the spread of the bar lights better too for sure tho I can't see paying an American company double for the closely equivalent lights offered by Kingbrite, Meijiu etc, especially if your on a tight budget.. I'd be torn between these KingBrite's and the Meijiu Majo's or even their F-series (Chilled type light) but the KB's are definitely less expensive.. find that sweet spot with the proper ventilation just under needing Co2 or just go crazy with more ppfd and supplementation !!

Your footprint findings are very pretty close theirs..
View Image

Footprint provided with the link you posted.
View Image

LM301h Full Spectrum model
View Image

I love my light from them. It performed exceptionally well on my last grow.

Because this light is a multi bar type and near enough takes up the whole roof footprint, how do you compensate for loosing the height taking up by your filter ( if hung from roof in a 1.2x1.2x2m tent )?.
Do you just put it up as high as you can and dim it down or can each bar be located in different places ie so you can have 4 bars one side of your filter and one the other?. Only other thing is maybe a inline filter

Last edited:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Have the filter outside the tent with the fan blowing through it, see the link in my signature for an example.

ledtime

Because this light is a multi bar type and near enough takes up the whole roof footprint, how do you compensate for loosing the height taking up by your filter ( if hung from roof in a 1.2x1.2x2m tent )?.
Do you just put it up as high as you can and dim it down or can each bar be located in different places ie so you can have 4 bars one side of your filter and one the other?. Only other thing is maybe a inline filter

I run a gorilla tent at 8' in height. My filter doesn't take much room at the top.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Simple division tells us that 9 lights in a square tent would be positioned as 3 rows of 3. The truth is, for a nice even illumination, you don't put the middle one in. The other 8 stay in the same place, but the 9th just buggers it up.

Sheet of paper?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I run a gorilla tent at 8' in height. My filter doesn't take much room at the top.

Either does that light. I have a flat folding bar light and 8' 4x4 also. Plenty of vertical room, and the LED is cool enough to get closer to the plants.

I would love to see a side-by-side test of the light meter I use, with the OP's (Ledtime) meter Apogee SQ-520 quantum sensor. That sensor can be bought with USB connection, and can be used in a data logger and /or a PC. The light controller I just bought should (but won't) be able to control on that PAR meter also.

https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/s...t-quantum-sensor-usb/#product-tab-description

I am testing my new $800 bar led 680W light at 14" in the center here, using the little photobio ($140):

Last edited:

TdotGonG

Quick look at geeklight has the 630w bar light using the 301 and osram reds with meanwell reduced to $1100 while we are getting it delivered from KB for $650

What are you talking about, they are 799$ I was recently in contact with all these suppliers for pricing...Geek light and Bava are far better quality than KB hands down. Did you check to see if those were B or H diodes? cause the 400-500$ price gap seems like b.s to me unless their is a product difference in diode model and efficiency. I've been dealing with Shenzhen and Guangdong markets for 12 years for importing and exporting. In various other markets. They would not gap their product like that, or some one would knock them out of production in no time. KB use less thick heat sinks ect, ect, ect. I have both a 240w Bava301H w 660 osram's and a 240w K.B 301h w 660 soeul's and the KB is not up to par comp to the bava. Yea I know the 660's are not both the same manufacturer diode. I paid 35$ I think more for the bava to get a 50x better built product. make sure you check the KB products, MY light is only 230-228w at wall, instead of that stated 240w. My bava light hits 240w at the wall consistently. Also you picked a non relevant product to compare. I'm talking about the 240w QB boards for price. Bava's/ Geeklight strips are better quality than KB bar none, No pun intended. I don't even have to argue that just look at the company profiles and listings. if people want to pay 660$ for crap then knock you're self out lol. KB is the lower end LED producer. My Bava 240W is well engineered and put together, the KB looks like a something some guy build and sells in his garage with floppy potentiometers hanging off ect. Hence the cost of them.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Non relevant product? The thread is about the 600w KB bar light. Why would a 240w QB that's barely over 200w be a better comparison, or seem well built.

I see now that the price has moved to 799 but the KB is 500 which is a good gap in price. Cree/Samsung/Meanwell... works.

ledtime

I am still incredibly happy with my light. It's been working flawlessly. At full blast it pulls 600W dead on. Depending on the strain my height above the canopy is about 14-17". Any closer and I would need CO2 supplementation. The heatsinks do a great job. I've seen other bar lights that come with covers over the diodes with much narrower sinks. These are at lease a few inches wide. For the price, with a warranty...I couldn't build it myself for cheaper. I've looked and you just can't compete with the volume pricing KB gets parts at.

If it were crap I'd say so. It's not. Is it glamorous looking? No. I'm not in it for pretty. I'm in it for cost effective function. I've run it for the last year with no degradation of the diodes. No issues.

I am all about tech and I love what Fohse has coming with their Aries light and that controller. Three preset spectrums all in one light, timer, sunrise/sunset mode, fully waterproof. They actually recommend cleaning it by taking it in the yard and hosing it down. Pretty cool stuff. Probably $2k for that light and it will smoke everything on the market.

Most hobbyist growers can't afford nor want to drop $2k on a light. This is where this KB light is so nice. It performs so well at it's price point.

Just my personal feedback. I can't speak to their QB lights as I have not/do not own one.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Thanks for your info ledtime i will be ordering these lights in the LM301H 3500K mix CREE XP-E2 660nm 730nm+LG UV variant.

now, since you have that fancy light meter just wondering if you could help answer a question for me: if you reduce the wattage by 20% and the distance by 20% do you still get the same PPFD?

cheers

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Hey All!

Last year I set on a mission to find a light that will really shine in a 4x4 area without having to set my wallet on fire. There is no question that the Chilled, Gavita, & Fluence lights fit the bill. But they are all about $1k+ each.

I learned a lot from our DIY'ers here and they have made some cool lights. Through them I learned of Kingbrite on Alibaba. They have a 600W - 5 Bar - LED light here: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.wholesale.deiletai6.4.163ace85lHj0jx

I purchased this light. I ran a grow through with it and yielded 30oz from my 4x4 even with a light leak and two hermie plants. Done in coco with a DTW system using Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect.

Yesterday I finally received my Apogee SQ-520 quantum sensor so that I could really test this baby out. Here is my PPFD map for the light. I only did the measurement to keep the PPFD at 1k or under as I don't supplement with CO2. I'm pretty amazed with it. Running it at 600W at 14" from the canopy, these are it's measurements:

Can I get a high five? That's an amazing PPFD map for a light that is $600 delivered to your door. Customer service from Vivi at Kingbrite has been amazing.

I see a ton of questions about lights, but nobody has really reviewed their bar lights. I'm very impressed. Great quality finned heat sinks, Meanwell driver. Samsung LM301H diodes (top bin) and Cree 660nm red diodes.

Questions welcomed if you have any. Just thought I would share.

Looks like a good light. Usually, there should be 8 bars for a 600W light.

ledtime

Looks like a good light. Usually, there should be 8 bars for a 600W light.

I guess the number of bars would be solely dependent on the number of diodes and their spacing on the board, no? I can't really understand how you could relate wattage to number of bars as something linear. That would be like me saying all 600W QB's should be 11" wide. That's not really the case, is it? Just sayin'.

ledtime

Thanks for your info ledtime i will be ordering these lights in the LM301H 3500K mix CREE XP-E2 660nm 730nm+LG UV variant.

now, since you have that fancy light meter just wondering if you could help answer a question for me: if you reduce the wattage by 20% and the distance by 20% do you still get the same PPFD?

cheers

May I recommend that you skip the UV? It's only needed a certain time in flower. I think it would be a waste of your energy and space on the board for diodes that could help you grow more productive plants. If you want UV, get a reptile UVB bulb. Better use of your money.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am still incredibly happy with my light. It's been working flawlessly. At full blast it pulls 600W dead on. Depending on the strain my height above the canopy is about 14-17". Any closer and I would need CO2 supplementation. The heatsinks do a great job. I've seen other bar lights that come with covers over the diodes with much narrower sinks. These are at lease a few inches wide. For the price, with a warranty...I couldn't build it myself for cheaper. I've looked and you just can't compete with the volume pricing KB gets parts at.

I have a 680W 8 bar light in a tent like yours, and am keeping the light 23-30", or higher. This is late in veg on my first run. LEDs make photons for sure. Those plants are 600-650 umoles at the tops.

To avoid the center hot spot, I did this. We'll see how the SCROG goes, for the wind burn. There is SIP control box (5 gal bucket) under the fan, and for now I can rotate the bags 180* to even the light.:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00322.JPG Views:	1 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	17815108

BTW, sorry to jack the thread, and I am not really shilling, but...

In the pic above, the left side has a lower light level that can be seen in the leaf color. The tent/light were bought 2 months ago. A warrantee is only as good as the people behind it, and the logistical chain to support it. The ROI e680 in that tent developed a bad bar that stays on at 20% regardless, on a Friday evening. I emailed Growers House, next morning Sat get a call (missed the call back), and called Monday, new one arrives Friday. I will put the bad light in the box, and send it back on their dime. I will end up with a new one, with free shipping both ways. I had to pay for the replacement, and will be refunded when the bad one returns. Fair enough. Consider that when you buy a light from alibaba.

A friend has a 2x4 x 6 tent that is gonna be the home for the plants that don't make it into my flower tent. He needs a light, and I am recommending the 200W 2 x 4 e200 ($275 shipped),because it will be backed up if something goes bad.

Last edited: