What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kingbrite Magnesium Defficency

GoatCheese

Veteran
No, I have always used coco with these KB leds. I have previously grown in soil with LEDs other than KB and have had fewer problems but I needed to switch to coco because temperatures are mild where I live and the soil did not dry out easily. I needed to switch to a type of substrate that would dry out faster and had seen quite a few people get good results with coco and quantum boards.
Interesting what you say about the source of the coconut, is there the possibility of choosing less salty coco from the Americas?
Discarding the soil for mild temperatures
I could try using a hydroponic system and the original jacks 321 hydro formula with these KB leds.
But I still want to make Coco and Qb work 🤣
One way of looking at it..

If your soil/coco isn’t drying out as fast as you want – but you have enough perlite mixed in with it - then your plant may be too small for the container size at the moment and you have been watering it too much before the plant and the root system have had enough time to grow to proper size.

During winters my temps have been even under 25 C and my plants have been drinking fairly normally - not as much as during summer/higher temps – but still it hasn’t been anything out of ordinary.
..so if your coco/soil has stayed too wet for too long then i think it’s a matter of over watering abit.

You’re not supposed to let coco dry out as much as when you’re growing in soil, but you can’t keep it too wet constantly either, like f-e has been explaining in the earlier posts, and you have to let the coco dry out abit in between waterings.

..i don’t usually grow in coco, so it’s better that the coco-people will advice you with proper watering schedule.

4$gMn20

One way of looking at it..

If your soil/coco isn’t drying out as fast as you want – but you have enough perlite mixed in with it - then your plant may be too small for the container size at the moment and you have been watering it too much before the plant and the root system have had enough time to grow to proper size.

During winters my temps have been even under 25 C and my plants have been drinking fairly normally - not as much as during summer/higher temps – but still it hasn’t been anything out of ordinary.
..so if your coco/soil has stayed too wet for too long then i think it’s a matter of over watering abit.

You’re not supposed to let coco dry out as much as when you’re growing in soil, but you can’t keep it too wet constantly either, like f-e has been explaining in the earlier posts, and you have to let the coco dry out abit in between waterings.

..i don’t usually grow in coco, so it’s better that the coco-people will advice you with proper watering schedule.

Ye, I have lowered the K and reduced the waterings a bit. I will update if I see improvements

GoatCheese

Veteran
IF your pants have been over watered then it will take a while before they will respond, cause there maybe some damage to the root zone and it will take a while to fix itself. So don’t expect to see a huge improvement in a day or two
..but your plants don’t look super over watered, so i’m sure they will look better after a week

-

Does you light have a dimmer on it? If it has one and you want to get temps up abit then you can raise the light a little higher and turn the power on the light up abit also. This would generate more heat into your tent and the plants would prolly start drinking abit more

Kimes

420giveaway
@4$gMn20 Hiya, I have the same lights and would love to hear the follow up whether you got this sorted out.. I´ve had similar issues in the past due to ovewatering and too strong nutes...

4$gMn20

@4$gMn20 Hiya, I have the same lights and would love to hear the follow up whether you got this sorted out.. I´ve had similar issues in the past due to ovewatering and too strong nutes...
I have not been able to solve it. I think that coco coir and this type of LED dont work very well, as others have said maybe we need special nutrient formulas with less K and more Ca. I have taken the plant outside and lowered the K, the plant has fully recovered. The next crop I will do it in DWC and these leds to see if it works better

Kimes

420giveaway
I have not been able to solve it. I think that coco coir and this type of LED dont work very well, as others have said maybe we need special nutrient formulas with less K and more Ca. I have taken the plant outside and lowered the K, the plant has fully recovered. The next crop I will do it in DWC and these leds to see if it works better
Best of luck with that DWC then, keep us informed, will ya? Good to hear she recovered.. I use now a gauze(?) mesh netting under the led, little less lux for sure, but plants love it that way now way way better than before. Those Samsung Lm301h chips are powerful...!

GoatCheese

Veteran
Any photos of the plants?

Sometimes, if you have plants in veg and you’re having bad root system problems, it’s good to repot the plant into a fresh batch of coco/soil, instead of trying to fix things in the old coco/soil batch.

Over watering can cause root rot and sometimes it’s faster fix – maybe even only fix to save the plant -to transplant it into fresh coco or soil because of the bacteria(?) living in the root system/coco that caused the rotting in the first place.

Yea, plants in coco and soil need good and strong root system before they can handle watering issues little better, cause then they have enough mass- and the whole plant is bigger in general – to get the medium drying faster ..small plants with small root systems can’t handle over watering very well.

Rurumo

Jack's 321 works great with coco/LED. From your first pic, it looks like you were overwatering it. It's a small plant in a big pot, maybe a recent transplant, and you said you're already multifeeding. I never feed more than once per day until 12/12 starts. You never want to multifeed until the plant has fully rooted out the container it's in. OP would outgrow these issues once the plant fills out more. Be sure you are feeding those to plenty of runoff and keep the EC around 1, and 6 PH. If you find dtw hydro too difficult, I'd avoid dwc. It would be better to master this type of grow first since it's the easiest hydro method.

SuperBadGrower

How did you treat the coco initially? With fresh coco you still have to do quite a bit of rinsing to set the fertility levels correctly. If you have a 1 gallon of coco, you still need to run like a few gallons of nutrient solution through it for it to be satisfied.

1655220500883.png

(A crude oversimplification)

4$gMn20

It may have been overwatering but I have followed the cocoforcannabis guide and done the high frequency fertigation (suggests that the coco should stay between 90% and 100% saturation) in pre-buffered canna coco + perlite to improve drainage so i dont think that was the problem.

4$gMn20

Best of luck with that DWC then, keep us informed, will ya? Good to hear she recovered.. I use now a gauze(?) mesh netting under the led, little less lux for sure, but plants love it that way now way way better than before. Those Samsung Lm301h chips are powerful...!
Yea sure! I just started new grow using dwc will keep informing. 🤙

GoatCheese

Veteran
The conditions in your grow area has a huge influence of how it all works, so i’m afraid things might still go wrong even if you have folowed the watering instructions 100% perfectly, but if your grow room temperature was noticeably different than for the person writing down those instructions.

You wrote your temps were 25 C but a little warmer , atleast around 28-ish , would be better.

Over watering and colder temperatures are a bad combination.

Some plants don’t like it at all, some fair better. I nearly killed a plant last fall because of this – an Amnesia Haze sativa. Only got it to come thru after repotting it, mind you i’m a soil grower. But i know over watering and cold temps, i live in the North.

I don’t know about the grow advice you have been following – and i don’t often grow in coco, thou i just put an auto in coco - but 15 years ago when i was learning about coco growing usually people recommended watering their plants around three times per day allowing the coco to dry abit in between and before the lights went out ...ofcourse if your cuttings are still small one or two times per day will do.

Watering frequency and size should always be adjusted with the plant and container size; how much is the plant drinking - how wet the coco stays etc.

What ever the advise says you always have to go by how your plants are behaving in the environment your grow area has – with your particular seasonal variation. I live in N Europe and over watering and temps in general (also regarding leds) are major issues for me during winters.

So you always have to adjust everything to suit your plants in your grow because enviro factors can vary so much defending where you live around the globe..

xet

Less water, more patience!
89306002_2816692481746915_1238543737811986485_n-jpg.18722951

Attachments

• 89306002_2816692481746915_1238543737811986485_n.jpg
    89306002_2816692481746915_1238543737811986485_n.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 191

4$gMn20

¡Hola a todos! Empecé un dwc con la fórmula jacks hydro y veo los mismos síntomas que antes con canna coco. Realmente empiezo a pensar en el espectro de mi luz.
IMG_20220707_234655.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts