What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KILL SWITCH

A

astra007

every room or grow should have one. sometimes the breaker box is 2 floors away and you get a mag melt down, a burning wall, a power surge and 3 phaze shutdown. any of these you need the power cut NOW. even a surprise inspection of the electrical meter man and you push one switch and your meter runs normal.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah it's a good idea in principle, but i'd have 2 switches one for just the lamps and 1 for everything. in most situations you want the ventilation to stay on even if you want the meter to run normally, you don't want the smell accumulating. but for electrical fire emergency your system should shut its self down, i have special switch that will cut all power if it gets too hot.

Tactician

I have a 3-phase panel with individual control of the ballasts. A 3-pole 200A ABB contactor was added to kill all the power in the event of emergency.

bigsby

yeah it's a good idea in principle, but i'd have 2 switches one for just the lamps and 1 for everything. in most situations you want the ventilation to stay on even if you want the meter to run normally, you don't want the smell accumulating. but for electrical fire emergency your system should shut its self down, i have special switch that will cut all power if it gets too hot.

Yeah, that is one of those things that is true except when it isn't.

If you have a fire and your fan is running... well you better start running too b/c that fire is going to rip to two alarms in about a minute. For my money the best kill switch investment is a thermal kill for the fan. That and a flame defender. Cheap and effective insurance.

A

astra007

didnt want to disagree with a mod but with 1 kill switch for everything, you can pinpoint the source in the dark more easily and the fans are not feeding the fire nor exhausting outside, carbon filter or not.

i also keep a powder fire extinquiser on hand, earlier i had several boxes of flour to smother the flames.

with age; i had a mag ballast melt down under a grow table, that was fun and im glad i had the kill switch. i slagged it, fire exting. and water wand to put it out. then disconnect at light board and power up again. all in 10 minutes.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I've been thinking about doing this. All you'd need is a relay switch of sufficient amperage, with a standard 120v lead-in switch. I'll be adding this soon, and I'll run the switch to somewhere within reach of the front door. If any stranger danger, hit that panic button.

overbudjet

Veteran
I've been thinking about doing this. All you'd need is a relay switch of sufficient amperage, with a standard 120v lead-in switch. I'll be adding this soon, and I'll run the switch to somewhere within reach of the front door. If any stranger danger, hit that panic button.
Exactly what i did !

Tfresh420

Sub panel is the way to go everything right there or at least the lighting control boxes with breakers on it