What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

just bought new lights...

anasha

Hi everyone,

last january I've harvested my second grow. My set-up is a 30 sq. ft. SCROG. with three modular units (middle and side) for better acsess to plants. I was working with three 400w systems. In veg. I was using those convert. light bulbs MH, cause by balasts are HPS. It worked out ok, but from what I hear, they don't put out as many lumens as they should. So no I want to expend a little :rolleyes: by adding two more switchable systems ( 400w ) that can be used for MH with a normal MH light bulb and HPS light bulb when needed, all I have to do is flip a switch...

Does anyone used system like that before, and if so, how is it worked out for you? I increase wattage but will plant less plants than before. I had 27, but now will not grow more than 20.

Please let me know if you know anything about these switchable systems.

anasha

G

I have a switchable 400w ballast. I'm running a 400w agro sun for veg and a 430w hps son agro for flower. It seems to work fine although I'm on my first grow with it. I'm 24 days into 12/12 with a white widow and she's looking pretty good. So far I'm satisfied but we shall see in the end.

anasha

Thanks for your reply boinkadoink,

i hope your grow will proceed as you would like it too. What about temperature of the balast ? Does it gets real hot or not too bad? I usually place a small fan on top of each balast to cool it down a bit, but some get hotter than others. Please let me know.

Good luck and be safe.

anasha

G

The ballast itself does get pretty warm but it doesn't effect ambient temp to much. The hood is what I had heat problems with until I got a exhaust fan taking hot air away from the bulb. But you have lots more room then I do. Good luck

anasha

I have an exhaust fan right over all four hoods ( 180cfm ), but I think I'll eather change it for a bigger one or just add another one of the same size.

Anyway, thanks for the information and all the best to you.

anasha