What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just a lil bit

eyesdownchronic

"All the plants really need is a lil bit,

a lil bit of this, a lil bit of that."

hah

Welcome All,

Follow my mediocre attempts at getting dialed in to coco.
Figured the start of the new year would be a good time to start a new thread.

Please, feel free to chime in with any questions, comments, concerns, experience, criticisms, whatever.

Before we get into those nitty gritty specs. Lets get high on some not so properly grown Tonygreen RIL.Came off a plant that was just like one we got going this round, so hopefully at the end, we can smoke on some glue thats 'just a lil bit' better.

picture.php

LordOfTheNugZ7

Hey I checked out your other thread... if you copy and paste the URL that is below your pics into your post, it will show the pic upright.

Also W Coco it is easier to control your humidity and things like mold, pm, etc.. when you either rinse the pith out prior to using it and/or add in something like perlite to improve drainage.

Not trying to tell you what to do at all, just sharing a couple of methods that have worked well for me in the past in preemptive troubleshooting and dialing in when working w coco.

I'm subbed for the ride. I always enjoy Tonygreens work.

Peace!
LOTN

eyesdownchronic

Plan here is to try and find a couple cuts that perform well and get dialed in to their needs, before attempting to take it up to scale.

So, on to the Specs.

Grow Space: Will be working in just a 4x4 tent

Planting arrangement/ spacing: We will be working with 4 plants on even 24" centers. Seems like either 4 plants on even spacing, or 8 plants on alternating spacing is the sweet spot for a 4x4 area, just depends on the size of the plants.

Environmentals: Day Time Temps ~(75-78f) Night Time ~(70-72)
Day time leaf temps most likely exceed 80f under HID lighting though.
RH seems to be sitting around ~ 60-65%
This puts my Diff. at about 10f which is a bit much, but not too bad.
VPD about 8-12 or so. which is pretty good. VPD is a helpful measurement but I usually dont put as much as stock as alot of other growers seem to put into it.
Due to the mechanics of running HID in a tent, im somewhat constrained as far as setting environmentals, so thankfully they are already mostly in range. At this point its just finding cuts that do well in the given environment.

Lighting: Lighting will be supplied via CMH, using a generic 630w ballast retrofitted with brand new Phillips elite agro 930's.

ive always found cmh grown flower to be of a very high quality. So I am definitely excited to see how plants perform under these puppies. Hoping to see a real improvement to both plant growth and final yield.

So here is a lonely looking tent ready to be filled,

Planting media: Plants will be in 3 gal. container with pure coco. In the past ive usually ammended coco with small levels of an aeration type ammendment (usually vermiculite) but this run I'm just going to be using straight coco for simplicity's sake.

Irrigation: Water will be supplied via daily hand waterings (pretty low tech, I know). I'm just trying to get everything figured out before changing up too much shit. Gotta figure out how to walk before you try to run, am i right. Moving to drip is definitely on the agenda though.
Water is just city water with a moderately low ec (.4) but a pretty high alkalinity, high 7's. water will also have a murky white tint to it, which i believe is bicarbonate's and calcium precipitates. i think its coming from the piping, because it is not an issue in other areas. "both" water's have the same ec and pH though.
anyways, mixing in 'just a lil bit' of pH down or grow clean makes it go away.

Fertilization: For the most part, fertilizer is supplied via dry fert. salts, with some minor additions of "natural or organic" inputs.
Target pH range is ~5.8-6.0
Target Ec range is ~.8-1 for veg, ~1-1.2 for flower.
considering water is at a base level of .4, even at a 1.2 ec, its only adding about .8 ec or 400ppm's, which is quite low.
Formula will be loosely following reccomendations laid out by BillFarthing in his 'Cheap Nutrient Line" thread. definitely worth a read. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=377492
Ca boost weeks 1-3 PK boost weeks 4-6.

Full nutrient list is
Jacks hydro base (5-12-26),
Yara Liva Calnit,
Epsom,
solution grade gypsum,
plant prod. chelated micro mix,
agsil 16-H,
and then MAP, MKP, and K2SO4.
plus Haifa grow clean 5-31-40 (drip clean alternative)
GH pH down for pH ammendation

"organics" are;
ewc,
kelp,
fish protein hydrolysate,
fulvic acid (mr. f),
molasses,
OGBW for bennies.

Co2 supplemenation: None for now. might get one of those CO2 bags, not so much to be running at elevated levels, but to keep ambient levels from getting depleted.

Airflow: Just two small 6" stationary fans facing opposite each other, on alternate sides of the tent. Trying to get some vortex type air motion.
Plus a 6" fan for exhaust, and to get negative air pressure.

Training/ support: Supplied by standard horizontal trellising. Not sure if i will need to use 2 or 3 nets, there is a bit of variation in plant height already...

IPM: As far as IPM i try to be as non-toxic as possible. This round will be using
-Ambylseius Andersoni (generalist mite control)
-hypoasis miles (generalist soil mite)
-sf nematodes
plus the OG Bio War and Si.

Strains: Gonna be running
-two different Tonygreen Glue RIL's, one heavy glue leaner, one displaying some sour bubble type traits.
-two different PNW Roots: Koko (glue x koffee f2) one glue type plant on a much tighter, somewhat bushier body, and one that leans to the koffee (alien).

jeez that took a minute, hope i didnt forget anything.
Let me take another bong rip real quick.

Last edited:

eyesdownchronic

And off we Go! Plants in their new home.

picture.php

Koko on the left, koffee leaner in the back, glue type upfront.
RIL on the right, glue leaner in the back, bubble up front.

Plants are already showing quite abit of difference in size. Most plants have relatively even canopies, but they are all at varying heights. I also completely messed up on the koffee leaning koko. She should've been topped again.
It would be so much more even to just work with 1 or 2 cuts.

Last edited:

eyesdownchronic

Hey I checked out your other thread... if you copy and paste the URL that is below your pics into your post, it will show the pic upright.

Also W Coco it is easier to control your humidity and things like mold, pm, etc.. when you either rinse the pith out prior to using it and/or add in something like perlite to improve drainage.

Not trying to tell you what to do at all, just sharing a couple of methods that have worked well for me in the past in preemptive troubleshooting and dialing in when working w coco.

I'm subbed for the ride. I always enjoy Tonygreens work.

Peace!
LOTN

thanks for stopping in and lending your advice!

i usually add in some vermiculite to increase drainage and improve the variation in pore space/ size. but decided not to this run to try and keep things straightforward. Im thinking i may want to try a 2:1 coco : hydroton mix in 5 gal bags at some point.
**edit** before i do that I want to try simply layering hydroton on the bottom and top of the pots as described by HGO.

***re-edit*** after some more reading apparently layering hydroton or some other drainage material on the bottom is actually detrimental. It raises the perched water table thereby reducing area for roots to grow in. I recently starting using a 3:1 - 4:1 coco- perlite mix and am really liking it. Will prob stick with that for the time being.

also want to upgrade to fabric pots. honestly dont know why i didnt make the ~$20 investment. ive just got those black plastic bags now. bleh.

i also soaked my coco in a fairly high charged Cal:Mag solution for about half an hour. for the charging solution i tossed in about 1 tbsp of caso4 and 1 tbsp mgso4 to a 5 gal bucket. ec goes to about 2ish.

Last edited:

eyesdownchronic

noticed a bunch of white mites in my soil. they dont look like hypoasis miles (more red.)

realized they were just andersoni that were falling off the plant

picture.php

looks like the andersoni have no problem thriving in the top layer of soil. I wonder if, and what they are eating.

Last edited:

eyesdownchronic

Wk 2 Update
picture.php

Koko (koffe leaner in the back)

Koko (glue alt.)

RIL (glue)

RIL (bubble)

everything seems to be cruising along fine. koko in the back looks like it might get a bit overgrown, think its time for a third trellis. already dropped two to accommodate the varying heights in the tent.
checked my runoff and we were sitting about 2-2.2, so i gave a couple clear feeds. looks like were back to about 1.5. thinking thats how ill dictate when (and if) to do clear feeds.

eyesdownchronic

Wk3 update
picture.php

Koko (koffee)

Koko (glue mini)

RIL (glue)

RIL(bubble)

everything seems to be flying along now. not sure if I've ever had plants look so full this early on. frost development also seems to be starting on most strains. somewhat surprised by how compact the back RIL is staying. I thought it would stretch 2.5x or so. but it seems to be staying more compact than the bubble leaner up front. guessing it has to be somewhAt influenced by the number of tops, cmh lighting, and heavy tone type feed.

the third and final trellis was dropped. bottom third plus excess growth will be stripped at the end of the week. (day 21)

Last edited:

eyesdownchronic

what kind of trellis netting is that EDC? looks plastic and cut-able without leaving fuzzies everywhere like string, yeah?
hey Glaucksbacon,

yeah, the trellis is just standard tomato trellising. im not sure on the square size. its been working well for me so far. in the past i would just stake large branches when they would start to fall.the trellising is awhole lot better in my opinion.

eyesdownchronic

Wk 4 update

group shot
picture.php

koko (koffee)

Koko (glue alt.)

RIL (glue)

RIL (bubble)

approximate bottom third removed, and feed changed for full bloom.

everything is still moving along well. it doesnt look like they grew in too much, but its because of the leaf strip. I honestly, didnt go too hard on the removal. buds have filled in though, thats for sure.

eyesdownchronic

Wk 5 Update
Group Shot
picture.php

Koko (Alien leaner in the back)

Koko (glue alt.)

RIL (glue)

RIL (bubble)

Buds are thickening up nicely id say. been watering upward of half a gallon a day, theyre drinking heavy. variation in plant feed needs is becoming more clear. The back left koko is starting to look mighty hungry with those yellow tinted leaves, could probably use an ec bump to about 1.4, but the one upfront is dark green. Plants are really starting to produce lots of resin and the smell is getting pretty intense. actually really starting to like the buds on the koko upfront, although it will definitely be the lowest yielder from the run. theyre actually reminding me of pics ive seen of the koffee, so i may have to reconsider calling that plant the glue alt. it just had that exagerated leaf crinkle and viney (yet squat) type structure in veg.

eyesdownchronic

Wk 6 update
Group shot
picture.php

Koko (alien leaner)

Koko (glue alt.)

RIL (glue)

RIL (bubble)

Seems like vertical growth has fully ended. Everything in full swell action now. Flush will be starting next week. Was planning to chop about 66, but stuff is looking like itll be ready a bit early. Still plan to stay on schedule, but we'll see.

eyesdownchronic

Next run ready to go.

Under 480 w QB led instead of 630 w CMH.
other changes are 8 plants on alternating centers instead of 4 on even centers. and plants are in a 80-20 coco perlite mix, planted in fabric pots. Planning to set up drip before flower too...

Strains are a random mish mosh of cuts I had extras of. Still not a mono crop... but everything is looking good so fuck it. Let's get it.

Starting flower next week.

picture.php

Last edited:

eyesdownchronic

Introduction to the new family

Sour D bx2 from Shoreline

Alien Fighter from Obsoul33t

LArry Bear (Lemon Larry x Polar Bear)

Mule Fuel #13 (gmo leaner) from Thug Pug