What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IT safety

Hasselhoff1337

Hi guys, this might be the wrong place if so please delete/move post.

Anyway weed growing is not legal where I live but I would like to participate here with pictures, question and answers.

Am I safe to just use a vpn and a service that removes metadata on my pictures or do I need to up my IT game?

goingrey

You will also want to use some tracking prevention in your browser (either one with the feature built-in or a plugin). And of course keep the browser and OS always up to date. And keep in mind that a VPN is only as trustworthy as the provider.

If they really want you they can get you though. Darknet markets, encrypted phone networks, non-logging VPNs... all have been infiltrated by LEO during the last few years. No network connected computer is truly secure. Do they really want us horticulturists so bad though? Well I sure hope not.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Nothing one does on a PC is truly secure, nothing, nobody. Ask Snowden! Especially not operating Win10, it has gotten worse and, don't even think of upgrading to 11, do so at your own peril!!!

At a minimum, if one must (we have no choice) run Win10, get yourself a "true copy" of the software. It's a boot-able flash drive. You wouldn't believe the shit that doesn't load when you don't go by/with "recommended" If it wasn't for my dementia, I would still be running a Linux box. I can't code any more and my notes do not help me. Is a Linux box more secure? Nothing is truly secure but yes. Ran a Linux box for over 10 yrs and never caught a virus and they run without a virus checker.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I've been scared for so long that it just became a way of life for me. I did six years in the Penitentiary so I was already spooked. I just started taking a few photos the last 3 or 4 years because I was afraid of someone getting a hold of the photos. I wouldn't even look at a computer site if there was weed in fear of getting busted. Things are much better now and if they want me they can come and get me because I don't give a fuck anymore. I'm going to grow my own medicine for my PTSD as long as I can because it works. 😎

Hasselhoff1337

I've been scared for so long that it just became a way of life for me. I did six years in the Penitentiary so I was already spooked. I just started taking a few photos the last 3 or 4 years because I was afraid of someone getting a hold of the photos. I wouldn't even look at a computer site if there was weed in fear of getting busted. Things are much better now and if they want me they can come and get me because I don't give a fuck anymore. I'm going to grow my own medicine for my PTSD as long as I can because it works. 😎

Hell yeah. Fuck em!!!