What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Isopropyl/water spray?????

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I was wondering how to clean a vacuum, after removing the mites?

We have ongoing bug problems. Canola fields just shoot out flea beetles at/after harvest. They don't seem to get inside the house, but they hit my gardens HARD at grain harvest time. Took out my kale in what seemed like a day, but the kale came back from the root really well.

Aphids are in the house every time that the weather warms, i think that they came in from down south with the house. I read that getting hit with sugar kills them. So, maybe the molasses in the water has helped. I'll be spraying the tree outside and maybe the outside perimeter of the house with sugar water in the spring to see if that helps.
No idea what kind of vaccuum, but might try No Pest Strip in it maybe for a few days to also kill hatching eggs. Read the warnings. Best not to use in house. Dichlorvos is the poison.

Cloneman

Veteran
I was wondering how to clean a vacuum, after removing the mites?
You get a vacuum to remove said mites from that vacuum and so on....the never ending story.

Seriously though. I used a cheap small vac that i could clean out after.
Here's a thing, Im going to whisper this "since switching to LEDs those pesky spiders have gone".

Loc Dog

Veteran
Predator mites are probably your best long term solution.
If they come back I will have to get them. Have no income since 2005 so hate spending money on something that is one shot. Heard they are almost impossible to keep them going. Had a praying mantis egg case in yard I should have grabbed during fall.

jackspratt61

If they come back I will have to get them. Have no income since 2005 so hate spending money on something that is one shot. Heard they are almost impossible to keep them going. Had a praying mantis egg case in yard I should have grabbed during fall.
Lookup eden blue gold fxi saponin product.

moose eater

The only time I can recall bringing in commercial clones from elsewhere (a pot shop in Fairbanks that I later learned was somewhat notorious for passing on infestations; otherwise very nice people), I got bugs of several different varieties; silverfish, fungus gnats, thrips, and who knows what else.. an army of squatters I hadn't invited. Reporting to the shop re. the circumstances, they didn't seem to care much; tail light warranty. All too common in this day of failing to take personal responsibility. Egos and deflection abound.

If cleaning out the vacuum after the fact, I'd do that oudoors ONLY, and that would be the place to use hard-core disinfectant or pesticide. The machine, inside and out, will tolerate that far better than the plants will.

I wouldn't use -any- volatile solvents, to include alcohol, on a plant I was intending to process for consumption; especially this close to harvest.. I keep my booze and my pot separate, though enjoy both (that was a bit of caustic base humor).

As others have indicated, you're too close to harvest, thus, after downing the plants, having cleaned them in the least volatile/toxic way possible, I'd do a thorough cleaning on the remaining veg or mother plants, and quarantine any affected areas of your grow room/tent/whatever for a while..

There's an attraction sometimes to taking in highly reputed clones, but regardless of any gains, the risks ought to outweigh potential advantages. With only a few very limited exceptions.

I recently sent some seriously ancient seeds of heirloom varieties to a forum member, with the request that IF any of them sprout (yet to be seen) I'd be interested in receiving some live material back. But that grower, from my impression, keeps a fairly clean operation. And even then, anything coming back would be quarantined until it passsed muster for cleanliness where hitchhikers or unwanted diseases are involved.

Live and learn.

Ask me if I let my eyes' desires guide my mind and thoughtfulness when I'm around others clones any more. NOPE!!

Hmong

Veteran
These mites can be removed manually every day to keep their population under control. They suck leaves so swiping them with fingers will kill some mites,

been doing that for a while now, and it really helps with single plant infestations.
coincidentally I've also tested the alcohol spray on flowering plants just this week.
got a bottle of sanitizer mix with 70% Iso in it, which I normally use for cleaning tents & gear after a run.
when I discovered the infested buds, I instinctively grabbed the bottle and sprayed em.
bugs were dead on contact, but those that didn't get hit directly were active again the next day.

Fire. I like fire when those little bastards are on the end of the stem hanging there waiting to go airborn and find another plant to infest. Couple passes with a torch and all gone.

wanted to say exactly that, love torching em too
this years outdoors was mad, and I seem to have carried some inside end of autumn, lately they started coming up in different spots.

indoor I like to use some anti-insect resin on the stems when hanging, not giving em any chance to get to the top, in the first place. It's a trap!

bugresin.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Nutrition is your best long term solution. Truly healthy plants produce proteins which kill the mites if they keep eating.

Got rabbit manure? ;)

Edit: Please use 91% or stronger isopropyl alcohol instead of ??? in that sanitizer 'mix?' Hopefully it was only water.
1oz to 1 gallon.
Use a lot of airflow and avoid skin/lung contact. It does damage tissue.

Last edited:

Hmong

Veteran

mine apparently came with the predator sachets...

It does damage tissue.

I know from quick cleaning fingers after trimming, not doing it anymore
only tools from now

Please use 91% or stronger isopropyl alcohol instead of ??? in that sanitizer 'mix?' Hopefully it was only water.

chill !
you didn't catch the fact that I was talking about a premixed product

no clue what 30% WFI meant, so had to look it up
it's just sterile water afterall

"Sterile and non-sterile cleanroom trigger spray containing 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water for injection Trigger spray designed for use in the cleanroom transfer process and the disinfection of hard surfaces"

so you would recommend even higher strength then?

As I don't get your point
1 oz per gal is not much % strength
that's almost plain water, so why bother? where is the effect then?

Loc Dog

Veteran
been doing that for a while now, and it really helps with single plant infestations.
coincidentally I've also tested the alcohol spray on flowering plants just this week.
got a bottle of sanitizer mix with 70% Iso in it, which I normally use for cleaning tents & gear after a run.
when I discovered the infested buds, I instinctively grabbed the bottle and sprayed em.
bugs were dead on contact, but those that didn't get hit directly were active again the next day.

wanted to say exactly that, love torching em too
this years outdoors was mad, and I seem to have carried some inside end of autumn, lately they started coming up in different spots.

indoor I like to use some anti-insect resin on the stems when hanging, not giving em any chance to get to the top, in the first place. It's a trap!

View attachment 18807472
Is that product meant to be applied to the stalk??? I only find products in USA that are meant for hard surfaces (floors or pots). For isopropyl I saw to mix 50/50 with water. Above 50% is supposed to be bad and out of bottle is 70%.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Does anyone know if 50/50 iso spray could use a little soap as an emulsifier?? Thought it might help disperse.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
try the myco-insecticide No-Fly WP.

after you harvest spray everything in your rooms and outside around your grow with this every other day for 10 days to make sure you didnt miss anything.

also use No Fly WP as a preventative along with any other ipm once you bring plants back in.

this was how i got rid of them a while back and i havent seen that 2 spotted pita since.

peace

Hmong

Veteran
@Douglas.Curtis thanks for clearing that up, very helpful

I'll try as soon as I've converted this gibberish into metric ;)

*which comes out at ~0.75% strength no matter what units
so I don't know man, quite weak to have an effect imho

after trying almost 100x that strength, I mean

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have zero mite issues with that weak sauce lol. In the last 10 years it has defeated all infestations... including multiple instances of "resistant" mites. Control things in veg for best results, filter yer damn air and only work with clean clothes and body. Outdoor the answer is always nutrition and localized pressure reduction. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts