What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this PM or?

chuey_316

Looks similar to a powdered detergent with a bit of water added to make a paste. but after looking at it under a scope, it's a webbing or fiber like material. The last pic is best viewed from a phone so you can zoom in to see the detail. I've looked over all of the plants, and it seems that this is the only branch or leaf that had anything on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	leaf.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	17902784

Click image for larger version  Name:	stem.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	17902786

Click image for larger version  Name:	scope.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	17902785

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PM has a lattice structure that starts in small spots that become larger until the entire surface is covered. I don't see PM on stems very often. It would start on the leaf then grow onto the stems. Yours looks more like spider webbing on the stem part?.. The leaf looks more like PM. Always treat it as if you do have PM. When caught early it's not hard to get rid of. Always have an organic treatment on hand for such things,

It looks like what's left over from mealy bug presence, powdery mildew looks like a hazy white dust. If you notice it again run your finger down the affected area and see if a Mealy bug jumps off onto another stem. Neem oil will take care of them

chuey_316

I poked around at it a bit, and nothing moved, and when I scoped it there were no bugs that I could see. Come to think of it after Hammerheads reply though, I have been seeing spiders at least once or twice a week on a plant here and there lately, but I've never seen a spider that would make a web around an object, but rather between objects.

The Mealybug assessment would make sense however, as I was able to easily rub it off, and it came off in cotton like pieces, and I have been loosing random leaves over the past few weeks. The stem of the leaves will just start to wilt away about halfway up, and the leaf will drop. I haven't been able to spot any bugs however. I've also caught a few spots on the tops of a couple leaves that are wet when there's no rain or dew.

I'll up load pics of the leaf damage in a moment.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If 1 leaf has it all have it. Spores are everywhere in our gardens.. I would treat the plants and area with an oil based organic spray. I use GrowSafe Bio-Pesticide as part of my IPM. This is a Corn/soybean oil treatment. It will keep pests and molds under control.

chuey_316

I gave them a good spraying with this. I've used it indoors before when I had a gnat problem with an rdwc grow.
Click image for larger version  Name:	71ehaxxQcFL._AC_SX425_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	17902871

Attachments

• 71ehaxxQcFL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    71ehaxxQcFL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 31

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If possible immediately isolate infested plants from others to prevent the mealybugs from moving amongst them. 😎

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It looks like what's left over from mealy bug presence, powdery mildew looks like a hazy white dust. If you notice it again run your finger down the affected area and see if a Mealy bug jumps off onto another stem. Neem oil will take care of them

Yup! ^^ what he said ^^

chuey_316

If possible immediately isolate infested plants from others to prevent the mealybugs from moving amongst them. 😎

Unfortunately no way to separate. They're in ground, and I've noticed the leaf issue on at least half of them. Hopefully the Fungicide 3 does the trick, and I don't have an issue when they start to flower in about a month. I need to get started on building framing for a plastic roof to help protect from bud rot late in flowering. I'm not sure how long this strain is going to flower for, and we tend to get rain around the last week or two of October.

Hey Chuey look up a Flatid planthopper they leave some powdery stuff behind too. Im sure the fungi spray will do the trick. Even blasting them with pressurized water every once in a while can help. I dont think its mold. Plant some flowers around them and get the Beneficial's in there, I use marigolds and the bees/wasps carry them things away.. Wish the best

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I didn't know you were outdoors. You have had a moisture issue and some point in your environment, and was too wet for too long. To dry things out, you need to aerate the soil and keep it loose, and turned, to allow the roots to dry out well, between watering's. IF you are getting, or in a lot of rain, then you can block the rain, with hay mulch, and keep the rain from hitting the ground around the plants. . When the rain leaves, remove the wet mulch from around the plants to dry for later use. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have never seen any good results using fungicides on any kind of fungus, indoors, or outdoors. Once the fungus is alive and disperses spores in the environment, they will always be there until the right conditions and bloom again. I've seen a lot of money wasted using fungicides and get hardly any results. When the conditions are just right for a fungus bloom it can be only 3 to 12 days a year. People buy fungicide and spray their plants and then the weather conditions change and get better, and they think the fungicide fixed it. Unfortunately, people buy a lot of fungicides, and spray it on everything, every year, and think the fungicides or NO good. They don't work! I don't put FUNGICIDES on anything I eat, of vape, and don't recommend it to anyone. 😎

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have never seen any good results using fungicides on any kind of fungus, indoors, or outdoors. Once the fungus is alive and disperses spores in the environment, they will always be there until the right conditions and bloom again. I've seen a lot of money wasted using fungicides and get hardly any results. When the conditions are just right for a fungus bloom it can be only 3 to 12 days a year. People buy fungicide and spray their plants and then the weather conditions change and get better, and they think the fungicide fixed it. Unfortunately, people buy a lot of fungicides, and spray it on everything, every year, and think the fungicides or NO good. They don't work! I don't put FUNGICIDES on anything I eat, of vape, and don't recommend it to anyone. 😎

This is true mold spores are everywhere. It's not possible to keep them out of any open room. This is why you must have an IPM in place..Fungicides do work but they are not a 1 and done type of deal. They have a short protection range. We use these on a schedule to prevent PM from germinating, the same product also keeps pests off your plants. Any good IPM schedule you will treat your plants every 7-10 days. If your using these in others ways that is why it doesn't work for you. As long as the product is certified Organic it will not be an issue eating/smoking it. Most are made from plant oils like corn or soybean there are many.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When an environment is already infected with a fungus, nothing really works at that point. The growing conditions need to be modified to prevent a fungus from growing in the first place. An environment that is fungus prone, is not an ideal environment for growing cannabis. Spraying anything on plants every 7 or 10 days is not natural or conducive of a healthy grow. Using bug sprays, or fungicides on any plants, is a signal that something is wrong, or missing, and is out of balance, in the growing conditions. I've been growing for over 50 years indoors and outdoors without the need to spray any fungicides on any of my plants. I seen and heard about a lot of people using fungicides when it wasn't needed. 😎

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When an environment is already infected with a fungus, nothing really works at that point. The growing conditions need to be modified to prevent a fungus from growing in the first place. An environment that is fungus prone, is not an ideal environment for growing cannabis. Spraying anything on plants every 7 or 10 days is not natural or conducive of a healthy grow. Using bug sprays, or fungicides on any plants, is a signal that something is wrong, or missing, and is out of balance, in the growing conditions. I've been growing for over 50 years indoors and outdoors without the need to spray any fungicides on any of my plants. I seen and heard about a lot of people using fungicides when it wasn't needed. 😎

That's untrue.. All open room gardens have mold spores. There are literally billions of them floating in the air. There is 1,000 and 10,000 fungal spores in every cubic meter of air we breath. We inhale up to 10 billion mold spores daily. Only sealed rooms are free from them. They use hepa intakes to prevent them from getting in, they still have IPM programs in place. Without a IMP program in place, you will always have PM growing if you do not take preventative actions. It's not possible to grow in a greenhouse or other open environments without using something to stop those spores from germinating. Its why we use IPM or we will have issues guaranteed.

Great outdoors

That's untrue.. All open room gardens have mold spores. There are literally billions of them floating in the air. There is 1,000 and 10,000 fungal spores in every cubic meter of air we breath. We inhale up to 10 billion mold spores daily. Only sealed rooms are free from them. They use hepa intakes to prevent them from getting in, they still have IPM programs in place. Without a IMP program in place, you will always have PM growing if you do not take preventative actions. It's not possible to grow in a greenhouse or other open environments without using something to stop those spores from germinating. Its why we use IPM or we will have issues guaranteed.

Yes the mold spores are everywhere. That is why you want your environment not to encourage their growth. Also a healthy thriving plant has it's own defense's to keep things from taking hold. Otherwise it never would have survived natural selection.
In my experience PM is only an issue when there is an excess of nitrogen. In general I feel nitrogen is over used in cannabis growing. Excess nitrogen also is a key player in Botrytis.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your environment alone will not keep PM out of your garden. I can only pass on the knowledge. I'll leave it up to whoever wishes to use it. I've been at this for a very long time.

Peace
HHG

Latest posts

Latest posts