What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this P deficiency?

GrayZone

Might be it's nothing as it's just that single leaf, but it made me curious as I don't remember seeing anything like this before.

From pics I've seen here in sticky threads and on Google, the only thing it kind of looks like is P def.
Purple on the leaf stem was progressing upwards and made it up to the lower 50%. If not plucked I guess the rest of the veins would turn purple too.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Overall they are very healthy, growing normally, and this is the only leaf showing these signs. It's the second week of flowering, and during those two "stretching" weeks I was still giving them veg fertilizer with some bio boost(they're on BioCanna, using their feeding chart).

As they're pretty much done with stretching and started popping out calyxes I switched today to BioFlores+BioBoost.
IF it's P def, it might be that P in Canna's BioVega wasn't meeting their current P uptake. Also, I've seen something about cold soil locking out P, and it is getting a bit cold here. Day temps are around 22c/71ish F and the lowest night temp wasn't below 16c/61.5 F.

Is it P or something else?

EDIT
Just to point out, on the photo it looks almost black, but actually, it's dark purplish

Last edited:

acespicoli

GrayZone

4 liters, a bit over 1 gal.

Well, by using the high-tech and sophisticated "stick your finger into the soil" method, that comes to about every four days. There's no overwatering, that's for sure. They have their wet-dry cycle.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Might be it's nothing as it's just that single leaf, but it made me curious as I don't remember seeing anything like this before.

From pics I've seen here in sticky threads and on Google, the only thing it kind of looks like is P def.
Purple on the leaf stem was progressing upwards and made it up to the lower 50%. If not plucked I guess the rest of the veins would turn purple too.

View attachment 18920424

Overall they are very healthy, growing normally, and this is the only leaf showing these signs. It's the second week of flowering, and during those two "stretching" weeks I was still giving them veg fertilizer with some bio boost(they're on BioCanna, using their feeding chart).

As they're pretty much done with stretching and started popping out calyxes I switched today to BioFlores+BioBoost.
IF it's P def, it might be that P in Canna's BioVega wasn't meeting their current P uptake. Also, I've seen something about cold soil locking out P, and it is getting a bit cold here. Day temps are around 22c/71ish F and the lowest night temp wasn't below 16c/61.5 F.

Is it P or something else?

EDIT
Just to point out, on the photo it looks almost black, but actually, it's dark purplish
You have no problems. IF you post a photo of the whole plant it would be helpful.

GF-Z

You have bio nutes my friend,
I have them too.
At this point I wish I would buy some mineral ferts like canna terra/ ghe(t.a.) trio and etc. +flushing agent.
Or
Make super-soil with organic bone meals, ewc and etc etc etc....
My plants showed tons of random sketchy defiencies with those canna bio nutes. In veg in pre-flower in late flowering... Clones doing same now...
I wanted to start a thread "whats wrong with Bio Canna nutes" and throw bunch of photos from previous grow, where you could see all kinds of shady defiencies coming and dissapearing misteriously in the end of flowering ??? But dont want to spam whole forum with this worthless nutrient line which makes my nerves to edge hard...
My advice would be switch to something else, for some people they are really good, for some its a nightmare...My guess would be - you need to use canna terra soil together with those nutes maybe it will work in a good way. But not in my case.
I was ramping up 8ml/liter without having any burns on the plant itself. Which is quite strange, huh ? I dont believe this company anymore, as far as I remember horrific experience with their aqua line used in DWC, where some plants where totally dark green healthy robust, while others produced such a fluffy airy low thc buds, what folks have to sit down and discuss what to do next, because it is not normal...

GrayZone

You have no problems. IF you post a photo of the whole plant it would be helpful.

I'd think so too. It's just one leaf. Overall, they are really healthy, with leaves in praying mode, and no discoloration whatsoever; just healthy green leaves. The growth is great, and other conditions are as they should be. As said, it was kind of a curiosity leaf so I thought I'd ask.

So not much to see on a pic, except if you admit you simply wanna see my sexy ladies, I'll post one then :biggrin:

You have bio nutes my friend,

Truth be told, I'm using in total of four CannaBio products and they seem to love it. There were no issues, and even now the plants are overall doing quite well. I heard from many other growers that they're happy with their Bio line.
Not saying that it's impossible you had shit-luck with Canna bio, but overall it seems to be doing what it should.

GF-Z

I'd think so too. It's just one leaf. Overall, they are really healthy, with leaves in praying mode, and no discoloration whatsoever; just healthy green leaves. The growth is great, and other conditions are as they should be. As said, it was kind of a curiosity leaf so I thought I'd ask.

So not much to see on a pic, except if you admit you simply wanna see my sexy ladies, I'll post one then :biggrin:

Truth be told, I'm using in total of four CannaBio products and they seem to love it. There were no issues, and even now the plants are overall doing quite well. I heard from many other growers that they're happy with their Bio line.
Not saying that it's impossible you had shit-luck with Canna bio, but overall it seems to be doing what it should.
Yeah thats mystery, my plant turned so pale in pre-flowering, but it kept going like nothing would happen. Later in flowering it developed quite full colas, but very leafy and last weeks it turns into dark green N toxicity, too much N is present in bio flores imo. I did not use bio boost as it costs way too much, maybe its the key to this nute line..
Normaly plants are N def in late flowering, the opposite happening with canna bio line. Trying to flush out bio nutes now *cringe* (feeling like in parralel universe tbh)...
And I cant explain this with logic, why plants starts with N def and finsihes with N toxicity...
Thats why I say, I would better go mineral based, to have more control on nutes ..

GrayZone

So false alert, as thought. No other leaves affected so far, and they are starting to fatten up. Seems it was just an odd leaf that decided it had enough...

Brother Nature

Yeah thats mystery, my plant turned so pale in pre-flowering, but it kept going like nothing would happen. Later in flowering it developed quite full colas, but very leafy and last weeks it turns into dark green N toxicity, too much N is present in bio flores imo. I did not use bio boost as it costs way too much, maybe its the key to this nute line..
Normaly plants are N def in late flowering, the opposite happening with canna bio line. Trying to flush out bio nutes now *cringe* (feeling like in parralel universe tbh)...
And I cant explain this with logic, why plants starts with N def and finsihes with N toxicity...
Thats why I say, I would better go mineral based, to have more control on nutes ..
Sounds like you have soil issues, perhaps you have a nitrogen containing amendments that are not releasing until late in flower? There is very little N in the bio flores, to the point that you're supposed to feed them the bio vega until their stretch stops. I have been using biocanna in many grows and have only ever had issues when the soil mixes weren't correct, though I also found I always had to up the ph for biocanna line as it's very acidic. Nothing wrong with trying other nutes though, bottled organics can start to get expensive and you can achieve as good a results with out them, figure out what works for you as every situation is different.