What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a way to regulate pH in the middle of the crop?

Vancho

What if you had a soilless mix buffering at 5.5 and then you add too much dolomite a the point now your mix is buffering 6.7-7.0

But you were aiming 5.8-6.2

Is there a way to lower your soilless to 6.2 adding something to the watering? since I cannot mix anything on the substrate right now at flowering week 2. No matter if my nute solution is 6.0 or 5.5, the runoff is always around 6.7.

I'm starting with some deficiencies already. Still have 6 more weeks of flower.
Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

troutman

Seed Whore
You could use a little pH down with your water so it's pH 6.0 and
keep using that until you reach your goal. It will take time though.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Yes use pure RO water with discharge until you lower the pH. Don't use tap water because that won't work. When the pH drops use a low ppm nutrient with every watering to keep it down.

Cerathule

What if you had a soilless mix buffering at 5.5 and then you add too much dolomite a the point now your mix is buffering 6.7-7.0

But you were aiming 5.8-6.2
Next time best check your parameters of self-made mixes using the standard 1 to 5 slurry probe (it's for soil solution EC but you can check pH alongside as well).

Question is what are you feeding, and how often?

You could change the nute formulae by replacing NO3 with NH4 this will cause a steady drop of pH but it's slowly acting. And you could use more pH- for irrigation like pH 5.0.

Last edited:

Ca++

I would definitely be going in at pH5 - 5.2 and have no fear of doing so, at all. The most likely problem from doing so, would be making the small stuff much more available. Perhaps leading to toxicities that are really not very likely.
Your high pH issues were not described, but I imagine you welcoming the issues a low pH may bring.
I would stick with Nitric as my down, as it reduces alkalinity well. It's about twice as good as phosphoric, and I don't really carry anything else.