What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it a good time to move to Co and grow legally?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
He is so right. My MMJ dispensary will not go recreational even since the state is willing to give them a very large discount on the business license. The Recreational portion is in a very big transition right now and nobody knows what to do. My dispensary says there is a lot of talk about being vertically integrated which means a Recreational shop must grow what they sell and the result being no competition. The state is also mumbling about throwing a 30% tax on the shops which would drive everyone to the black market and cartels. If you can wait a couple years things will settle down. It is such a strange feeling that my MMJ plants are completely legal with the state (not feds) and I don't have to look over my shoulder for LEO.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
As stated above, if your coming for the hills and a small personal grow come on out. Bring your money and pay some folks to build you a new house, we could use the work.:tiphat:

barnyard

from the Denver Post today:
"Colorado lawmakers stood the state's current model for marijuana businesses on its head Monday, endorsing a proposal that would allow recreational pot stores and commercial growers to operate independently.

Currently, medical-marijuana businesses in Colorado are vertically integrated, meaning growers and sellers are part of the same company and the stores grow most of what they sell. But, on Monday at the final meeting of a legislative committee writing a bill for recreational marijuana rules, lawmakers backed a proposed model where growers and sellers would be separate. They also shrunk what had been a one-year window where only medical-marijuana businesses could apply for recreational pot shop licenses down to three months"

I think this could also encourage more cooperation in the industry.

MN is beautiful OLordy with lots of fishing, keep in mind that more than half of CO is high plains desert.

Can I ask you a question O? If you came to CO on a vacation and bought an 1/8th of herb (when its totally legal to do so), where would you smoke it?

OLordy

Can I ask you a question O? If you came to CO on a vacation and bought an 1/8th of herb (when its totally legal to do so), where would you smoke it?

I would bet - it would be on a chairlift... why asking?

Although, I have to say that I quit on the chairlift-smoking idea pretty much - it's too much wind - I vape oil on chairlifts nowadays. It was the freaking 2013 the last time I checked, right? Piu-piu!

I would move to Colorado simply so I could finally have a hobby or a career in somewhat legal trade (for a change). :tiphat:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The more the merrier, I say...

Buuuuut, be sure to bring money or your own job with you. Like LubDaNugs said... bring money and hire us locals to build your house. Lots of folks need jobs, especially in the mountains. :D

Tons of people are already moving here without jobs... it's not going to get any easier. Tons of people are growing pot, that don't know how to grow pot... that's not going to decrease any time soon.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

OLordy

I am getting a bank license for Cannabank registered at Turks and Caicos Islands. I will operate it out of Colorado or Cali - haven't decided yet.

Green Gooma

Lots of good advice here. If you're coming for the quality of life, and you can support yourself, all power to ya. My first week after moving here from Minnesota, I figured out I won't be going back to live in that place again. But I had a job and a home and a family, and it was about all of that, not reefer. Sure is nice having a little legal grow in the basement though.

If you have schemes for living off of cannabis in Colorado - fuggedaboudit. Many of the operators who jumped into MMJ are broke, gone and forgotten. Others are hanging on, hoping they can sell out to the next wave of gullible suckers who think they're going to cash in on recreational legalization.

LOL @ offshore Cannabank! Good luck Skippy!

OLordy

appreciate everyone's opinion
not planning on moving anywhere yet (you Coloradans can sigh a sigh of relief now)

And yeah, it was a joke about an offshore, but there is a little piece of truth in every joke... Time shows

barnyard

can you legally smoke up on a chair lift?

can you legally smoke up on a chair lift?

I would bet - it would be on a chairlift... why asking?

Although, I have to say that I quit on the chairlift-smoking idea pretty much - it's too much wind - I vape oil on chairlifts nowadays. It was the freaking 2013 the last time I checked, right? Piu-piu!

I would move to Colorado simply so I could finally have a hobby or a career in somewhat legal trade (for a change). :tiphat:

ahhh making a wind break with your jacket while trying to light the one hitter on a chair lift. I've done that to. But technically its public consumption which is illegal.

The reason I asked is because we have a contradiction here in CO. We're going to allow individuals to come to the state and buy small amounts of recreational cannabis, but we haven't provided any place to legally smoke it!

monsoon

No real contradiction. Just regulation.

Like the beer/booze you buy for personal use in the liquor store, pot will be exactly the same in that you can't use it legally on the chair/ski hill, walking down the street, or anywhere else in public.

OLordy

ahhh making a wind break with your jacket while trying to light the one hitter on a chair lift. I've done that to. But technically its public consumption which is illegal.

If it was illegal to pee while standing up, would you sit down to comply with the law when nobody's looking?

The reason I asked is because we have a contradiction here in CO. We're going to allow individuals to come to the state and buy small amounts of recreational cannabis, but we haven't provided any place to legally smoke it!

I think as a businessman - every void is an opportunity.

barnyard

integrity = acting the same way whether you're being watched or not

So for me the variable would be whether the law was just, not if someone was watching or not. I've smoked in public hundreds of times (often in very creative locations, lol) and grew illegally for nearly a decade.

But why set someone from out of state up for trouble?

Exactly. Why not create a business troika with growers, sellers, and smokers, i.e, herbal coffee shops, all creating employment and generating taxes at three levels.

To sell someone herb but not provide them a legal space to partake, seems irresponsible, IMO.

BTW O, who breeds the a.g. strain you mention in your signature?

Last edited:

Green Gooma

By the time the legislature is done formulating the rules, there will be very little opportunity, and no fun to be had in this business whatsoever. You'd do better selling hot dogs to the tourists.

OLordy

integrity = acting the same way whether you're being watched or not

So for me the variable would be whether the law was just, not if someone was watching or not. I've smoked in public hundreds of times (often in very creative locations, lol) and grew illegally for nearly a decade.

But why set someone from out of state up for trouble?

Exactly. Why not create a business troika with growers, sellers, and smokers, i.e, herbal coffee shops, all creating employment and generating taxes at three levels.

To sell someone herb but not provide them a legal space to partake, seems irresponsible, IMO.

BTW O, who breeds the a.g. strain you mention in your signature?

No it is fictional but very likely to pop up one day, when somene crosses Alien Kush with Grapefuit or something...

I am just trying to find support in breeding strains on exact purpose to act like a pharmaceutical it's replacing. Nobody takes medicinal cannabis claims seriously, I think mainly because of the strain naming and breeding focus on production and potency

Latest posts

Latest posts