What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Insight into moving from HID to LED, size wise !

Chuckeye

Greetings,

As some of you know I'm a die hard HID user !

But, my ballast has passed away and I'm due for two new tubes......

Thinking about investing that money into an appropriate sized LED bar light ;)

And finally quenching my curiously :dance013:

I don't Need a Mega Watt monster but would like to come somewhat close to what my 600w HID was producing.

Currently looking at @VIVOSUN VS FD 6500 (~$600 Cdn.) and the Marshydro FC-E4800 (~$490 Cdn.)...

Still in SIP's and 4 strains per grow in a 4' x 4' x 4' high enclosure that expands to +5' x 5' x 4' high if needed (inside a 10' x 10' x 8' room).

FYI > I plan to continue growing Sativa's but am actually looking at training methods to Reduce yields/heights !

Comments/advice appreciated on brands/how many watts is really enough if all other specs are similar in that price range !

Cheers

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Greetings,

I don't Need a Mega Watt monster but would like to come somewhat close to what my 600w HID was producing.

Currently looking at @VIVOSUN VS FD 6500 (~$600 Cdn.) and the Marshydro FC-E4800 (~$490 Cdn.)...

Still in SIP's and 4 strains per grow in a 4' x 4' x 4' high enclosure that expands to +5' x 5' x 4' high if needed (inside a 10' x 10' x 8' room).

FYI > I plan to continue growing Sativa's but am actually looking at training methods to Reduce yields/heights !

Comments/advice appreciated on brands/how many watts is really enough if all other specs are similar in that price range !

Cheers
Hello friend, thanks for the post. It's tricky at first but I think it's well worth the switch in the long run. There's a big difference between the two. The main difference is the heat. LEDs still get hot but not like a HPS. The other difference is leaf burn. It's so easy to burn the leaf tissue with LEDs. I think both lights would be good enough for your switch.

I have grown with HPS and LEDs simultaneously and noticed the plants under the HPS grew fine on a reg—nutrition program. However, the same plants using LED on the same exact nutrition program, I got leaf burn. The fix was to up the cal-mag about 130 ppm in the garden with LEDs. The added calcium and mag. gives the leaf tissue more protection. Keep us posted on the switch. Thanks for sharing.

goingrey

That VSFD6500 is much more powerful than your current 600W HPS. So you would have to get more space if you wanted to make full use of it. It does have a dimmer so you could use it. But you could also just go with the VSFD4500 or other lower power lamp and save some money.

Chuckeye

That VSFD6500 is much more powerful than your current 600W HPS. So you would have to get more space if you wanted to make full use of it. It does have a dimmer so you could use it. But you could also just go with the VSFD4500 or other lower power lamp and save some money.
Thanks @goingrey !

Cheers

Rocket Soul

Greetings,

Cheers
In organic sips you should probably not keep your bottles far away. You may need to have a plan for light nutrient solution in the res, and something for calmag.
With leds and hydro as long as you hit the right environment you can fairly easy cure leaf defs from intensity with just more food. Led plants are hungrier for food, since they transpire a bit less than with hids. This can make it problematic to not be able to change the available feed in the pot drastically from one moment to another. But you can manage this with very light feed in the res.
650 watts of led in a 4x4 is a hell of a lot light for a 4x4 tent, it will take a bit of time to hone your skills before you can use that much and not burn the shit out of the top cannopy.
To get the right environment; treat 79F/25C as the lower limit of temps when giving more than just very low light, and follow VPD :)

Chuckeye

In organic sips you should probably not keep your bottles far away. You may need to have a plan for light nutrient solution in the res, and something for calmag.
With leds and hydro as long as you hit the right environment you can fairly easy cure leaf defs from intensity with just more food. Led plants are hungrier for food, since they transpire a bit less than with hids. This can make it problematic to not be able to change the available feed in the pot drastically from one moment to another. But you can manage this with very light feed in the res.
650 watts of led in a 4x4 is a hell of a lot light for a 4x4 tent, it will take a bit of time to hone your skills before you can use that much and not burn the shit out of the top cannopy.
To get the right environment; treat 79F/25C as the lower limit of temps when giving more than just very low light, and follow VPD :)
I'm growing in 5 gallon pails with GroBuckets and ProMix HP, feeding Mega Crop one part.....

Leaning towards the Mars Hydro FC-4800 right now ;)

For personal use, I don't have the budget for what I would really like. The Photontek 465w !

Cheers

negative37dBA

Veteran
Good choice to move to LED. Little bit of a learning curve but in the end you will like them more. I have 630 watts in a 4x5 room....its never on full. Rocket Soul is 100% correct on the heat. I actually have to use a heater lights on to get there. It may change the timing of how you grow as well. I used to go lights on at night to use the cold of the night to combat heat in the room. Now I have it the exact opposite with LED. I use the heat of the day now at lights on to help keep temps up. Good luck picking one out. There are a few great choices out there now.
Peace, negative.

Chuckeye

Good choice to move to LED. Little bit of a learning curve but in the end you will like them more. I have 630 watts in a 4x5 room....its never on full. Rocket Soul is 100% correct on the heat. I actually have to use a heater lights on to get there. It may change the timing of how you grow as well. I used to go lights on at night to use the cold of the night to combat heat in the room. Now I have it the exact opposite with LED. I use the heat of the day now at lights on to help keep temps up. Good luck picking one out. There are a few great choices out there now.
Peace, negative.
Thank you @negative37dBA !

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts