What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Infertile Females?

Nspecta

Veteran
Has anyone ever experienced Infertile Female plants?

By Infertile I mean...the stigmas will accept pollen and wither and die when pollinated but no seeds will develop?

I have had two individuals over the last year that have exhibited this trait...which is a new one to me. Any observations are welcome. :tiphat:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i've yet to pollenate this NL i have. could just be my pollen is broken. i'll let you know next round with fresh pollen.

Nspecta

Veteran
I'm a bit surprised...is it really that dead around here that almost nobody has experienced this phenomenon?

Nspecta

Veteran
Infertile Females...

Infertile Females...

attachment.php

This is an example of one of the Infertile Females I've found...out of roughly 150 female siblings in an open pollenation with approx. 50 males it's one of only two plants that hasn't really set any seed. :dunno:

While all the stigmas accepted pollen & withered up... almost no seeds have been produced...???

Curious to hear about your results stihgnonbevoli with yer NL. :tiphat:

Attachments

• InfertileFemale.jpg
    InfertileFemale.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 27

Jbomber79

Veteran
I have a strain that rarely if ever will produce viable S1's or viable seeds from pollination?..

I'm curious if it is something that your feeding or environment? I'm guessing your pollinating others that are producing seeds? Your pollen is working on the other ladies?

Nspecta

Veteran
I have a strain that rarely if ever will produce viable S1's or viable seeds from pollination?..

I'm curious if it is something that your feeding or environment? I'm guessing your pollinating others that are producing seeds? Your pollen is working on the other ladies?

The environment is dialed in to near perfect...roughly 148 girls took the pollen no problem...only two have troubles making seeds...and it's not the first time...I've had one of these girls in 3 other rooms full of pollen (from different sources) & zero seeds thus far from her.

harry74

Veteran
I has fertility problems when I did my BB f2.

In one hand, the 2 females used produced a lot less seeds than other females from different strains.
Many of the mature seeds are dead. When put soaking in wáter, they go straight to the bottom and don´t germinate at all.
Germination rate of around 50%.
I tought that somehow the line was going down.....but I have done BB F2 X GLO F2 and I have more seeds with a smaller plant that was pollinated quite early.Haven´t tested this cross yet.

At the moment I´m doing BB F3 with the same male just to see if there are fecundity problems again.

If your plants are a IBL could be endogamy..... quite difficult.

In humans fertility problems come usually from CHEMICALS.
Are those plants from Natural/ Regular seed or afeminated?

Could be that the male is infertile too, always blamin females about everything lol....I see that is not the case.

harry74

Veteran
I wouldn´t be very worried in your case, it´s just 1or 2 plants in a quite big population.
Just a couple of individuals.
Another thing would be if you germinate many of that seeds and you see that you have increasing numbers of infertile females.

I have a grape that i've tried prob 10 or 12 different males on and it would never take. Finally figured out she likes to be hit with pollen way early and she started making seeds. Small window though.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I got one just this year, it's an unknown clone I have no Idea what it could be but it grows very odd. Almost no pistils, it's dank as hell tho, one of the best plants I've come across.

picture.php

picture.php

Here's a pic from earlier into flowering.

picture.php

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i've finally revegged my nl enough, gonna toss it back into flower next week. i collected pollen from this male (Victoria Clipper: P75xOrtega) already but i also kept it in case it's offspring are good. they grow similar in veg once i plucked the huge primary fan leaves off the clipper. so it should be interesting to see what the cross turns out...assuming the NL isn't a sterile female.

picture.php

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
my first grow was out door and the people supplying me my plants gave me total shit in flower at the end of may. sucked, that was supposed to be my entire grow. so needless to say i started asking around. one of my neighbors charged me an arm and a leg for unproven seedplants they ordered from amsterdam. they were so sure it was just the most awesome plant in the world lol. anyway one of them produced zero pistils. none at all that i could find. it weirded me out and i had no one who could tell me what to make of it, i chopped it early because i was sure that it would just explode into hermie flowers or something. i was a nervous nelly my first grow. i dont remember much about it other than i got a decent price because it was so early that noone really had herb yet. i do remember it was mediocre and yeilded low. never seen anything like it since. we popped a lot of seeds up there in subsequent years and saw a few strange genetic anomalies. three noded plants instead of two opposite nodes it was whorl of three. a few other weird ones i cant remember right at the moment.
I got one just this year, it's an unknown clone I have no Idea what it could be but it grows very odd. Almost no pistils, it's dank as hell tho, one of the best plants I've come across.

View Image

View Image

Here's a pic from earlier into flowering.

View Image

JointOperation

ive heard about this.. but never seen it . or had any friends that grow experience this issue....

ive had plants not take pollen well.. needed to keep the male plant in with them the entire time.. and allow them to literally grow until dead in the pot in order to pull a FEW seeds from it.. had to reuse a male.. to hit an entire room of the clone.. and still only got 200 seeds from 20 plants.

and they didnt even look pollinated...

AMATOXIN

I have a old skunk berry clone I have tried several times and never get viable seed after pollination. I speculate that maybe it is a timing thing but doesn't really make sense in that the stigmas if unpollinated remain in good condition. Or that it might be possible that some sort of chromosome malfunction has happen resulting in incompatibility issues. But have never delved into any real investigations to suport or disprove either.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds, to me, like yall found some interesting clone only plants.

There must be some reason they're sterile. Maybe they're eunics instead if herms...

I've not experienced any such female types.

browntrout

Veteran
I had two very small (2 gram) PCK plants, Both Jet grimace purple, one was seeded with about 25 seeds the other not at all, was in an outdoor open pollenation right beside multiple males.

BT

Nughugger

I have run into this problem with females not making seeds several times with plants,clones I know make good seeds. I live in the center of the mohave desert. I figured out my problem palo verde trees after finally testing this ive found palo verde do something to stop cannibis pollination, any time I put seed crops under or close to palo verde no seeds ever. This could be useful for growing some thai under. I cant find any other sorce of this information so mabye someone else should test this

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Friend of mine have a old skunk#1 same few seeds every time try difriend males on this cloon only few seeds ( other female plants in the room fully seeded)

Just thinking ...Meabey if one of the seeds is male... try to back cross it to see if she take it beter from owh genetics

PDX Dopesmoker

I got an infertile female autoflower this summer that was unsuccessfully pollinated by 10 different males, all of who worked fine with different females. Now I want to know how to make more infertile females, its a potentially useful feature for anyone who wants to grow some sinsemilla where pollen is present. I read a little bit about cannabis chromosomes, but I still have no idea at all what the trick might be to getting infertile plants