What's new

Indoor Gorilla Problems

Jookie

Hey!

We originally had three plants - Gorilla, Shogun and Critical. However, due to bad implementations of our LED, Critical had to be offered to the god of harvest; Shogun followed the same fate today.
10 Days ago we started Green Gelato, just incase we had to offer Shogun to the gods. She's lively and healthy, without any of the problems Shogun originally had. So the gods showed us mercy and granted us a blessing.

However, Gorilla is around 24 days old and is growing slowly. No roots was developing downwards and the edges of the leaves were developing a yellowish tint with some leaves curling upwards. After some searching it seems to be overwatering and nuteburn - but which do I choose? Do I flush it with pH-5.8 water or just wait till it dries out, then flush it?

We also changed the LED to an 600w HPS with an aircooler. We're still trying to calibrate the temperature with the heated floor. But hopefully the floors will have adjusted to around 15-18 Celsius later today and the lights-on temperature will be around ~27 Celsius (80 Fahrenheit). With the lights off temperature around 21-23 Celsius (70 - 73 Fahrenheit).

I removed Gorilla from the pot to check any problems with the Rockwool. Everything looked fine, but the lower parts of the block was pretty soapy. So I made the pot more airy by removing some sides of the rockwool and filling with hydropellets. But I did see a small white root under! But I accidently broke a little part of it. Hope it won't do too much of a damage.

Images: Gorilla is the bigger one of the two. Gelato is 9 days old.

IMG_20220127_123212.jpg IMG_20220127_123244.jpg IMG_20220127_123221.jpg IMG_20220127_123235.jpg IMG_20220127_123318.jpg IMG_20220127_123308.jpg IMG_20220127_123321.jpg IMG_20220127_123212.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_123212.jpg
    IMG_20220127_123212.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 54

RockinRobot

Can't really tell from pics but that Rockwool looks to be very wet . RW needs a chance to almost (but not quite) dry out between feedings.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When the media starts to dry the plant roots take in oxygen and use it. If you keep the media wet there's no way to get oxygen in the roots. You are over-watering your grodan. 😎

Rockwool holds about 80% water and 20% air when oversaturated and needs to dry out (similiar to a soil-based medium) before it is watered again. ... Rockwool should be barely moist, (not dry), before it is watered again. Google

Jookie

When the media starts to dry the plant roots take in oxygen and use it. If you keep the media wet there's no way to get oxygen in the roots. You are over-watering your grodan. 😎

Rockwool holds about 80% water and 20% air when oversaturated and needs to dry out (similiar to a soil-based medium) before it is watered again. ... Rockwool should be barely moist, (not dry), before it is watered again. Google

I should hope it's wet, since it was watered two days ago. But I had no idea how wet it was until I transplanted it again. The top parts of the rockwool was dry when I watered them tho :)
It is looking lively today and will wait till tomorrow before I check again. The question was more inclined to flushing or let it stay? Doesn't the images look like some form of lockout? Esspecially with the yellow tips?

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Hearing the cubes looked "soapy" is concerning. Have you used a wetting agent, surfactant, or soap in your fertilizer?

Double check your ph. Mix a gallon of your feed, measure and adjust ph, then let it sit for 48 hours checking ph after 24 hours and 48 hours. This shows what happens to your mix over time. My guess is ph is drifting up between waterings.

Plants that size in Delta 10 cubes need water every 3-4 days. You can help them take hold by misting with plain water (in a spray bottle) 2 or 3 times a day. This will combat light stress.

Good Luck bro!!

Jookie

Hearing the cubes looked "soapy" is concerning. Have you used a wetting agent, surfactant, or soap in your fertilizer?

Double check your ph. Mix a gallon of your feed, measure and adjust ph, then let it sit for 48 hours checking ph after 24 hours and 48 hours. This shows what happens to your mix over time. My guess is ph is drifting up between waterings.

Plants that size in Delta 10 cubes need water every 3-4 days. You can help them take hold by misting with plain water (in a spray bottle) 2 or 3 times a day. This will combat light stress.

Good Luck bro!!

Nope, nothing. It is plain water with an EC of 0.6. Added 0.2mL of Aqua Triparts from GHE and Biobizz Heaven (Hydro compatible), which increased the EC to 1.0. Afterwards I adjusted the pH to ~5.8. I just checked the feed from yesterday and behold, the pH is now 6.4!

Do I need to adjust the pH before feeding to 5.2 - 5.5 or something, since it will naturally increase over time?

I am misting them with ALGA-A-MIX from Biobizz and 5.8 water 1x each day. They seem to love it 😁 And many thanks for the tip!

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Starting ph lower will help compensate for drift for sure. Get an extra mister for some plain water and hit them twice or three times a day during early Veg. It's like creating gentle rains that help the little ones take hold and get strong. I buy an extra jug of Spring Water just for misting. Always helps reduce stress from brightness and transplant shock. Foliar feeds on alternate days unless Super diluted.

Jookie

Starting ph lower will help compensate for drift for sure. Get an extra mister for some plain water and hit them twice or three times a day during early Veg. It's like creating gentle rains that help the little ones take hold and get strong. I buy an extra jug of Spring Water just for misting. Always helps reduce stress from brightness and transplant shock. Foliar feeds on alternate days unless Super diluted.

Made some feed using only the tri-parts nutes. Will check the pH tomorrow; since I've a feeling the pH increase is stemming from Biobizz Heaven. If it's more stable, then I will only use mist Biobizz products from now on. But I really appreciate the advice about checking pH feed as a measurement in different time intervals! Will make estimating so much easier 😀

I also gave them some 0.2mL feed without Heaven this time. Gorilla looked a bit sad afterwards, but lifted her head up after around 20 minutes and looks good. Gelato didn't gave a shit - I think her powerlevel is anime-tier compared to Gorilla.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I should hope it's wet, since it was watered two days ago. But I had no idea how wet it was until I transplanted it again. The top parts of the rockwool was dry when I watered them tho :)
It is looking lively today and will wait till tomorrow before I check again. The question was more inclined to flushing or let it stay? Doesn't the images look like some form of lockout? Esspecially with the yellow tips?

Fletch knows best with rockwool he'll show you how to caretake your plants, he knows better than me. 😎

bigbadbillybob

its the rockwool, specifically the big square that you transplanted into. they hold far too much water, and just generally suck. next time, just use the small one, or perferrable a sponge type rooter.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
First that plant doesn't look all that healthy. Secondly his plant is MUCH smaller and therefore the Rockwool most likely IS the issue.

Not trying to get into it or anything. Just posted the picture to show a plant that was started in a bigger cube.

And you're right too. I wasn't measuring EC at that time, only ph. The plant was being overfed for sure.

Latest posts

Latest posts