What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

increasing females from seeds

cashpoor357

I found this in the Marijuana Horticulture Indoor Outdoor Medical Growers Bible Cervantes 5th I've heard that this is a textbook for Oaksterdam U.

I don't grow at all but am interested in horticulture. I didn't think that it was possible to genetically change the sex of a plant although I understand that stressing a plant can cause it to go hermaphroditic. Is the following analysis true!?!?!

from Seed
Environmental factors start influencing sex
the moment the seedling has three pairs of
true leaves (not counting cotyledons).
Environmental factors that influence sex
determination of cannabis include but are
not limited to:
Increasing the level of nitrogen makes
more female plants. Lower the nitrogen level
to create more male plants. Increase the
level of potassium to increase male tendencies;
lowering the potassium level encourages
female plants. A higher nitrogen level
and a lower potassium level for the first two
weeks increases females.
low temperatures increase the number of
female plants. Warm temperatures make
more male plants.
High humidity increases the number of
female plants. Low humidity increases male
plants.
Low growing-medium moisture increases
males.
More blue light increases the number of
female plants. More red light increases male
tendencies.
Fewer hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours)
increases the number of females. longer
days (e.g. 18 hours) make more male plants.
Stress: any environmental stress tends to
yield more male plants when growing from
seed.
Henk, owner of Dutch Passion Seeds,
www.dutch-passion.nl , was kind
enough to allow us to adapt this information
from his archives. (end of quote)

STFU

Put your seeds in a brown paper bag with a banana peel in it. As the peel decomposed it releases chemicals that will make more fem beans. Make sure to take it out before mold sets in.

STFU

Yah thats the word :) It sucks having a good enough memory to remember something you read 2+ years ago. But not good enough to have all the fries in the happy meal.

I put seeds in deep freeze for 24 hours before germ.. one day is like a year of human life to the plant.. 24 hours in the cold- any longer the freeze- tells the seed winter has come and gone now its time to start growing.. I find I get more females this way.. read it in a book years back made sense so I use this method

jjs

Just read the tips to get females instead of males , my question is if this is the case why would you buy feminised seeds?

My opinion is that it is all in gene's rather than using these methods.

:gday:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
okay...if it's all in the genes, how can a female hermie? she would have to have male genes to accomplish that feat.
weird huh? i read years ago that sex wasn't determined until about week 3 from seed.
but what of the hermie seed? they are all female...

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Also If you put a 1/3 of your Gf's birth control pill in a water cup with seeds in it its supposed to make em 25% more female .... this is cause by the hormones in the birth control... I've never done the experiment myself but will do it ones i get some time and space to play with.
I've seen experiments done with High/low temps and stress factors that made more females if done one way and more males if done the other.. this were all factor that came into play Humidity/ light hours/ nutes/ water/ temperature and topping and bending.....
I always thought if you made it too easy for the plant you get a male if she has to fight a little to stay above the rest shes probably gonna be a female... Us males get the easy life I think :) but could be wrong.. I always get a lot of females...
its been a long time since i've seen anyone post about this subject.
Thanks.
sorry rambling super high here :p

jjs

okay...if it's all in the genes, how can a female hermie? she would have to have male genes to accomplish that feat.
weird huh? i read years ago that sex wasn't determined until about week 3 from seed.
but what of the hermie seed? they are all female...

True but whats the point to feminize seeds?

cashpoor357

its been a long time since i've seen anyone post about this subject.
Thanks.
:p

As many videos as I've seen and as many articles as I've read; I haven't come across this until now. I should think that this is valuable information if ANY method reliably increases the percentage of females in a given pack. The article sez that warm temps give you males. Imagine folks thinking that they are providing a friendly warm environment for their sprouts and getting all males because of it! Oh! the humanity!

True but whats the point to feminize seeds?

fem seeds can be used for a lot of reasons.. mainly for people who can not store or keep mother plants and they can not risk making there own seeds mainly because of space and safety as well most countries look at the number of plants you have when been busted and that happens too often.. the other reason for using and making fem seeds is when there is no original male available.. old clones can be S1 and different phenotypes can be expressed.. otherwise selfing clones can bring breeds to places they never get to.. I could go on but i must smoke

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Possibly a number of seeds will be male or fem regardless of conditions , some could go either way and envinonment will push them to express a sex.

Possibly these are the ones that could show intersex traits later in flower if conditions are less than optimum.

Not sure DP,s info is reliable and scientific , has not been duplicated from what i can find but quoted everywhere , that cervantes book may be called a bible but is far from gospel.

N

Nashashuk

If you really want female you will get more lol
Just be really positive with your plant!

Plant's got Aura's so give em good energy ^^

i have a 70% on my seeds turing female

Suspect

Veteran
I grew 4 plants of the same strain from femseeds, all hermied during flower week 4 and they produced mostly buds but also seeds.
Im not sure what to expect of the seeds, they look good and all can I affect the outcome of their sex somehow or am I doomed to grow more hermies with 60% or more of them?

Latest posts

Latest posts