What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Improvising into 2022 - with Koon

Koondense

Veteran
Hi Ace people,
this will be my kind of winter run, Q4 start and ending early next year with some Ace genetics.
I had and still have a weird period so there is no guarantee anything will go according to plan, so no promises or anything, not even to myself :)

Just popped 20 seeds(don't ask me why this many) and 11 were Ace varieties*:

Pck x KaliChina(fem) - 4x
Pck x Malawi(reg) - 2x
Nepal Mist(reg) - 4x
OrientExpress x NepalJam(fem) - 1x

I say "were" because 10 of them popped and 1(OExNJ) is still sleeping and I have a feeling it won't pop. The Pck x Malawis are slowest, all others are in the ground already.

*if anyone's interested in the other seeds I popped:
California Dream(Mandala)
Lemon Tree(Barney's)
Aunt Of Farouk x Original Haze(private cross)

The point was to go in the direction of selecting varieties from parents with some resistence to cold in general. The Nepalese genetics with Pck and KaliChina seem a good way to go, the Malawi and KaliMist side not so much but still overall resistent sativa genes in the line, hopefully.
My veg chamber is totally full right now, had a bud of my PanOHaze x OHaze experiment I tried to reveg but I was too late.
That's it for now, let's see what happens :)

Cheers

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
MY NepJam x OE got botrytis....it was in spring time so humidity was high in my room, but be forewarned. Loved the PCK x KC though.

Koondense

Veteran
Welcome guys :)
I had two OExNJ plants a couple years ago and they were pretty good, no mold or losses but one had some issues with probably too low pH, i'm sure now i could grow her better, no doubt. But that was the past, now let's see if the seed sprouts.
The Pck x KC were not my favorite pick because i tend to prefer more nld kind of plants, but at the same time it's ok to go out of the comfort zone a bit. Maybe i find some new love among these genes :)

Cheers

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
This is going to be Fun. Great choices. Very interested to see the Lemon Tree. Planning to run that one soon.

Blessings on your Grow
Good Luck Koon!!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Koondense friend :smoke: It's always a joy to follow your grow diaries, thanks for making a new one here in our room, and for including some of our genetics in your new grow.

Quite a surprising selection, well ... at least kinder in effects than usual :) although Malawi x PCK can be really strong, PCK x Kali China, Nepal Mist and Nepal Jam x Orient Express are definitely more on the 'kind' side. NJ x OE is a very lush compact wide leaved mostly indica cross, therefore not the most mold resistant genetics, but PCK x Kali China, Nepal Mist and Malawi x PCK are quite resistant against fungus.

You are probably fully aware, but it's my job to let you know: you are growing different strains with very different structures and flowering times ....
Nepal Mist is tall, lanky and somewhat long flowering, while PCK x Kali China and NJ x OE are really compact and fast flowering. Malawi x PCK in the middle between both groups.

How much do you like your Oaxaca/PanamaxOG cross ? :yummy: looks terrrific!

Koondense

Veteran
Hey Dubi,
thank you for jumping in, I always appreciate your insights :)
The plan is to have them in different spaces so the flowering times won't cross over each other, or if they should cross, then some kind of perpetual harvest will have to happen.
No worries, I'm quite used to do it this way, right now I run OriginalHaze(18w), sharing the space with FarOut(9w) from Mandala but before(in OHaze early flower) I managed to finish a very fast PanOHxOH pheno(10w) which is already dried and being vaped and shared. Meanwhile it looks like FarOut will finish at a similar time as OHaze so it's a real struggle to have some 18 weekers going with two 9-10 weeker runs in the same time frame. The Haze experience is more of a learning process on how to tame wild sativas indoors and to research a bit which nutrients work better than others, it's really not easy and I totally understand why OHaze is not popular, mostly because of its impracticallity and low return compared to hybrids. There's absolutely no contest.

So far all sprouts are growing the first leaves, looking healthy. Tomorrow I'll put in soil the last PckMalawi sprouts and check if the OExNJ is still alive or is it gone.
PckKaliChina look a bit thinner than I was expecting, the NepalMists already have some old school vibe to them, or it's maybe my imagination :)
Looking forward to the winter adventure with many lovely plants.

The OaxPan x AmOG is very good, dense and oily with a medical feel, gentle but strong high with a high comfort level. Similar to the feel if someone cover you with a soft warm blanket in a cold night. Happy and delicious, aroma is sharp lemon cream, pine background and just a bit fruity. I'll be able to comment more when the buds stay for some weeks in the jar.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Hi ElTimbo,
they probably are the second, i got them as freebees with my latest order a couple months ago.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Happy new year :) lol
Anyway, things were moving extremely slowly, many reasons for that.
The rough selection and sexing left me with 4x PckKaliChinas, 1x CaliforniaDream(reveg), 3x LemonTrees and 3x NepalMist(1x reveg). There are still 3x TomHillHazes and 1x WhiteWidow x Skunk#1 waiting for maturity.
Now we're almost set up for flowering, plants sit in 10L pots with allmix plus mycorhizza and a.c.t., except the NepalMists have a lighter mix but still find it almost too hot .

Nepal Mist
NepalMists.jpg
These two girls are my favorites, very elegant and flexible, thin leaves and long nodes, the left one is a stronger grower, more everything but less smell after stem rub. The right one is very flexible, soft and has a very minty stem smell, I'm very happy to finally find a plant with such clean mintiness.

I don't have more pics from Ace plants, but this one's got my eyes on. I really hope it's a she.

White Widow x Skunk#1
WWxSk1.jpg
Not much at this stage, will see what comes out of this one, she was transplanted last and will start stretching soon.
The smell is "classic" but it's way too early to say anything.

More to come soon (-er than last time) ;)

Cheers

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Those look great man. Those Nepal Mist have a great structure but look like they could become out of control monsters very quickly.

Koondense

Veteran
Yeah, I guess they will get big and the problem is that the main tent is already pretty crowded :)
So I think this flowering cycle will be a big challenge... or maybe some smart pruning and scrog will be enough to keep some order in the tent. As dubi said these are all pretty different so thinking ahead and more extreme measures will be necessary.
WWxSk#1 took well the transplant, I'm thinking of early topping or to just leave her in 100% natural shape. Should be interesting to see her grow undisturbed(but with rotation).

Cheers

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I have a traffic jam going on right now, so will end up vegging my current cycle for at least a month longer than I usually do. So some of these might get much larger than I've been running lately. It's interesting how we adapt to whatever the current situation demands, given the particular genetics and timing. :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi friend, please update us on each one, got excited seeing the long Nepal Mists :dancer:

Koondense

Veteran
Hey Dubi,
hehe I'm always slow to post updates, especially in last year :)

Quick post:
Slow transition on all plants except LemonTree which was preflowering under 18/6, some early preflowering with PCKxKC too, and they will also be quick to progress, hoping for at least 1x stretch.
Four plants, all similar but a bit different, one is more vigorous and smells softer and more pleasant, the other 3 are more "dank". The plants look overall compact and cute, not my kind of plants though.
Different story for the NepalMists, one was preflowering when rootbound and now is revegging so I hope not to confuse her too much now when I put her in flower again :)
The other two "long" Nepal Mists are having very different treatment. The minty longer NM#2 now only has 6 branches and she sits in a corner for a test flowering. NM#1(stronger NM) is stretching already so I supercropped her in order to keep her lower, I hope she won't reach the top of the tent :)
Got the feeling the #1(big,stronger NepalMist) is starting to have a richer smell from stem rub, mint is getting heavier and I really like it. She's obviously my favorite plant in this run.
Took clones of both long NepalMists, the big PCKxKC and one LemonTree. Still no sex reveal on the WWxSk#1 and TomHillHazes.

Pics coming soon ;)

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Hi Quijote,
from my experience the plants which had woody and incensy smelling buds, they had a different stem rub smell compared to the NepalMists I have. Maybe the "fast" NM pheno could go in that direction but the mint and freshness indicate a much more interesting, almost medical kind of terpenes present at this point. Of course judging by stem rub is not accurate and is also way too early...but the signs are for a rich and fresh smoking plant(s), hopefully.
Indeed a long way to go :) I feel these will get test smoked in mid may at the earliest, the right time to start some outdoor plants :)

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts