What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IMO, If you're using LED's, don't watch or read anything from HID grows.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
you guys r scaring the shit out of me - i was growing in a 4x3.5ft tent with 2 315 cmh's n not happy with the result as felt not enough lite - so this grow got a 5x5ft tent, n a mars fce8000- i run in soil using a combo of about 75pct ff ocean forrest, 15pct promix, n 10pct worm castings- i'm 3 weeks in flower , - i have the led running at 65pct of power, n 12inches from the tops- the temp rarely gets above 75F during the day, n is low 60's at nite - so far everything is green n healthy- i always check for bleaching, none so far... but apparently i'm breaking the rules... tooo much light, tooo close, temps tooo low...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Dunno... I've grown with HID for almost 20 years now and all I had to do with LED was add more calcium.

Then again, I grow cool and dry during flowering and only a small percentage of other growers do that on purpose. ;)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
my runtz at 3 weeks from the start of 12/12.... can't tell yet if growing under led's is better the cmh's- need more time

Attachments

• IMG_0599 (1).jpg
    IMG_0599 (1).jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 80

coxnox

Veteran
I just switched from t5 to led for my growroom, and i have a lot of problems too, a lot of strange deficiency....what kind of feed you use on your mother plant under led ?

bibi40

ok merci bibi ;)

cal mag every feed ? ppm ?
can' t help about ppm since i grow in soil and take no measurement about ph or ec ,

i use biobizz calmag booster since week 2 of grow , i start at 0,5 ml/L ,
at week 4 i up to 1ml/L and at beginning of true buds formation can go to 1,5ml/L to 2ml/L which is far beyond their schedule ,

yes each watering apart if i see something going wrong ( copper coloring of the leaves , and dry texture of the leaves ) ,

can be a bit tricky since the little feeder don' t need as much than big feeder and can have a nute lock out from too much calmag ( my last grow i had 1 strain about 4 who don' t like too much calmag and had to flush only this one , others eat more and get full dose of calmag and nutes with pleasure )

it' s a bit of observation and adaptation but you will get it soon !

:tiphat:

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
Needed no calmag till now, maybe my tomatoe vegetable soil is good enough or because i only got 100w LED... dunno, will see with more grows in the future, just started with LED, 2nd time flowering now.

Got a little bit of rust on some leafs but it's going to the end with these plants anyway, so nothing that worries me. :)

Like your username @Tomatoesonly ! :biggrin:

Rider420

The best solution is a grow off where the same clones are grown and thier buds are blindly judged to see who's growing system produces the best ones. Last time this was done in 2019 legally here in Canada the winner was grown hydroponically with rockwool under HID lighting. Pissing off the LED and Organic only lovers.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
The best solution is a grow off where the same clones are grown and thier buds are blindly judged to see who's growing system produces the best ones. Last time this was done in 2019 legally here in Canada the winner was grown hydroponically with rockwool under HID lighting. Pissing off the LED and Organic only lovers.
I was hoping to save 400 watts per tent, but guess you do not get something for nothing. Maybe that was why they were selling for $240 for 400 watt panel.

Found this article. Seems like LED that allows the red and blue to be adjusted individually is what is needed, but no one has them - https://californialightworks.com/blog/what-is-the-best-led-spectrum-for-growing/

Last edited:

420empire

Veteran
Well balanced compost, then i see no problem...also natural high calcium in the tapwater helps a lot. ;) pure NPK seens often to make boring tasteing veggies and herb too.

Mano Verdo

HID for the win
Main difference between LEDs and HIDs will be leaf temperature
HID produce much infrared which heat the surface of the leaves

While the optimal temp under HID would be around 24c, this will not be the case with LED

Apart of that .. very similar
just need to be dialed differently

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is clearly a learning curve when switching from HID to LED. If you grow your plants the way you used to you're going to be in big trouble. LEDs are very demanding forrcing the plants to consume a lot more Ca and Mg. Intervenal clorosis is how the problems start and if you don't fix the issue you will end up with crispy chicken leaves. In my case I found a few things that help.

- most people add Calmag products in every watering but I use slow release amendments.

- adding some dolomite lime to the soil (5g/L)

- spraying epsom salts during the veg phase and in preparation for the switch.

- giving LEDs a lot more distance to the plants.

- run your LEDs at literally half the potency you would use HID. Right now I am using only 300w for a surface of 1,2x1,2m. Which is ridiculous because it is exactly half of what I used with sodium (600w). A few of my friends have had the best results doing this as well.

- plants can take much higher temperatures with LEDs and still be happy. You can grow in the summer with them and plants thrive even at 32-34°C.

The cost of growing in winter goes way up though. I wish I had kept my HID for winter time.
Glad I saw this thread. I have been using distilled water as my tap is so hard. Have had this problem with the leaves and wondered why. Put ewc and kelp, fish bone and meal powders as top dressing and not a big help. I have some dolomite lime and will add a tbsp per pot which are around a gallon each.

I use low wattage LED but keep the lights almost touching the plants in flower and veg for that matter, to combat stretch. I want the intense light on the plants as they are pure sativa and I want that intensity to drive any chemical activity that has to do with the intense and tripped out effects I am after.

The Vermonster

Navigating the shift to LED technology definitely felt like entering a whole new world for me. Transitioning from traditional HID setups to the cutting-edge capabilities of LEDs meant reevaluating everything I thought I knew about lighting. It's been an ongoing process of sifting through heaps of advice, quickly realizing that tips predating 2018 are often more aligned with HID practices and not quite applicable to the rapidly advancing world of LEDs.

You're spot on about the importance of discerning when gathering information; outdated advice can easily lead you astray, creating more issues than it solves. In my quest for the most current insights and strategies, I've leaned heavily on recent forums and articles tailored to the latest in LED innovation. For those of us trying to stay ahead of the curve in LED technology, check this out. It offers a wealth of up-to-date information and guidance, ensuring we're applying the most relevant techniques about leds.

Last edited: