What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Imaging Trichomes with a $15 Macro Lens

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
My phone takes the worst pictures, so I bought a Universal Lens Kit for it from Canadian Tire in the Cell Phone Accessory section. At $15, I'm not risking a lot.

The Upside
- Cheap
- Easy install - take off
- Pictures are a little better, but not by much.

The Downside
- Pictures are a little better, but not by much.
- You have to move your phone closer/farther to focus manually.

Is it worth a small bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken? Probably.
But I'm still going to get a macro lens for my Cannon Rebel.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not too bad at all. Amazing macro shots, Tychomonolyth! Love the close up pistil shot and the macro of calyxes above it! Looks like its worth it! Looking forward to seeing some macros with a cannon rebel with a macro lens! Thanks for sharing, brother!

patmando- Try putting the camera up to the lens. It will focus correctly. That way it looks less silly and gets a better macro. Haha. Lots of resin on that pheno! Thanks for sharing!

St. Phatty

More please! Love macro shots of weed. It almost looks like it's from another planet.

Based on findings of Cannabis pollen in organic space debris like meteors etc., there's a good chance that some Cannabis genetics does come from other planets.

Which doesn't entirely make sense because then the pollen would have to have travelled light years.

CowboyTed

It's always a happy feeling when I find a solution that's simple. That lens kit is exactly that.

I take macros with my cell phone too, using a simple magnifying lens. It's a challenge to figure out how to hold the camera and the lens together in such a way that you can move the lens independently of the camera, because that's what you have to do for a fine focus. Back in the "film" days when I did a lot more serious macro photography for money, the standard method of focus was to move either the camera or the subject and achieve the level of focus you want that way. The depth of focus is so small in highly-magnified macros that the distance between camera and lens becomes the only way to further adjust focus.

When I used to photograph a lot of jewelry, I had a mirror lying flat on my worktable. Sometimes I photographed things sitting directly on that mirror, but often I appreciated the mirror simply because it was slick. I would lay down a sheet of felt on top of the glass, then build my background scene on top. When the jewelry was in place, I could gently tug the felt closer to the camera to achieve the exact focus I wanted for a particular shot.

If I were doing trichome pictures, I'd probably try putting the camera on a tripod, then locate a light source that lights the area directly in front of the camera. With the camera and the light fixed in place on trpods, I'd then focus the shot by gently moving the stem to bring the bud closer to the camera, or farther away until I like the frame.

CowboyTed

I took some macro shots this morning with my simple cell phone & magnifying glass, when this young lady lifted her skirt and showed me her privates for the first time:

picture.php

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Taken with my 10X loupe stuck to the lens of my point and shoot:

picture.php

Good enough for my documentation, won't win any prize, lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts