What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm very outdated, ideas?

kosh

Hi all
After many years where life got in the way of growing, I have accepted that I miss this hobby so much that I am going to build my old clone tent into a micro grow, probably a single plant more for the hobby than for production.

Having said that, once I have a micro grow I'd like it to yield as much and as good as possible and I am a firm believer on climate control being responsible for most of the results.

I'm old school, timers and guessing and discovering your froze/boiled your plants and adjusting accordingly, but I'd like to move from adjusting after the stress.

I know nowadays there are a lot of inexpensive climate control options. Would it be better to use some sort of brewing temp control with a heating mat as a heater and the extractor fan as a cooler or is there any model of extractor fan such as the infinity that I am not aware of? I wouldn't mind spending a little if that leaves me with a functioning system.

In principle I'll be using something low like a 135w led so heat is not a concern. I need your best tech and gadget advice to keep the tiny tent as constant as possible

In the future I would love some remote (Arduino/raspberry pi) setup where I could monitor properly, but for the time being I don't have the knowledge and I think focusing on that will delay having something. Once I have that something I can focus on a more complicated system

Thanks!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi all
After many years where life got in the way of growing, I have accepted that I miss this hobby so much that I am going to build my old clone tent into a micro grow, probably a single plant more for the hobby than for production.

Having said that, once I have a micro grow I'd like it to yield as much and as good as possible and I am a firm believer on climate control being responsible for most of the results.

I'm old school, timers and guessing and discovering your froze/boiled your plants and adjusting accordingly, but I'd like to move from adjusting after the stress.

I know nowadays there are a lot of inexpensive climate control options. Would it be better to use some sort of brewing temp control with a heating mat as a heater and the extractor fan as a cooler or is there any model of extractor fan such as the infinity that I am not aware of? I wouldn't mind spending a little if that leaves me with a functioning system.

In principle I'll be using something low like a 135w led so heat is not a concern. I need your best tech and gadget advice to keep the tiny tent as constant as possible

In the future I would love some remote (Arduino/raspberry pi) setup where I could monitor properly, but for the time being I don't have the knowledge and I think focusing on that will delay having something. Once I have that something I can focus on a more complicated system

Thanks!

VIVOSUN check out their site at the vendors forum.​

goingrey

You need the extractor fan for air exchange and possibly odor control. Along with your light it will raise the temperature a couple of degrees from the ambient temp. Don't know anything about heat mats.

ZOnaVerde

Veteran
For indoor ventilation you need a PC cooler (at most), I grew up in a 40x40x120 tent with an extractor fan or sometimes without, it depends on the conditions of the room.
For controlling the climate, ventilation, heating, I don't know if it's worth using for a mini/micro grow controller.

I use a controller from growcontrol, growbase pro which requires purchases at high prices, and yes it is worth every penny.
You can control the humidity with the intake/exhaust, heating mat. It has many functions for your safety, such as: if the temperature exceeds the limit, it automatically reduces the intensity until it stops if necessary.

Good luck!

X15

Congrats and getting your hobby going again!
I’ve been using Inkbird controllers for tent set ups. Have been using the same ones going on a few years now with no issues.
Using the ITC-308 for temps and IHC-200 for humidity. They sell them with Wi-Fi capability to monitor remotely as well.

OleReynard

I dont use any of the before mentioned gear, I've been growing for over 40 years with old school means.
Tent, 600 w hps, flouros for seedlings.
2 fans -1 inline cuz i use air-cooled hoods for temp and 1 sitting square dab in the middle of the tent blowing directly at the light, oh and a timer.
Used a dripper for a year otherwise I hand water everything.
Old school means for cloning.
It's all I've ever known

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I just use a bathroom fan to extract the heat and smell into a carbon filter, since I grow in a tent indoors, I just use what comfortable humidity and temperatures I live in, which is usally under 27C and below 40% humidity. The only thing you might want to consider is, if you live closer to the north pole you might want a heating mat during the day to simulate the soil warming with the sun and avoid clorosis from night temps being higher than day temps. also helps if your room gets too cold (not mine).

kosh

Thanks everyone, I have a bit of homework now.

I have no issues controlling it manually, I completely understand intake/exhaust and interior ventilation. What I wanted to do this time is not rely on ambient conditions so much. For example I used to run hps when the room was colder to compensate for the cold, but then will suffer when we had a random warmer day. The goal now is to keep conditions fairly consistent throughout the cycle.

I Care

Get that infinity 4” fan and 69 pro controller and all the stuff to go with it, you’ve probably already got the other stuff ya need to calibrate your temp and humidity and to use as a control. You’ll be impressed with features