What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Idukki Gold - the legendary Indian Marijuana that you may never get your hands on?

THCengineer

indio-pipa1.jpg

Asia's best marijuana is produced in Kerala, and we are on the brink of losing this indigenous jackpot​

Idukki Gold - the legendary Indian Marijuana that you may never get your hands on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFEhuSAh7k Vattakulam - Idukki Gold Song

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/ind...t-you-may-never-get-your-hands-on-264249.html - Asia's Best Marijuana Is Grown In India And Its In Kerala. Here's The Full Story Of Idukki Gold - Bobins Abraham January 24, 2017 - If you have ever smoked weed aka ganja/marijuana or if you know anyone who is into it, you might have heard about something like Malana hash, one of the most sought after cannabis variant in northern India.

Grown in the beautiful hills of Himachal Pradesh, it is pretty much a go-to stuff for stoners and available across all 'secret corners'.

But if you are a hardcore user you might have come across something called 'Idukki gold' aka 'Kerala gold'.

The name once again comes from where it is grown - Idukki in Kerala. The district which falls in the western ghats is an ideal setup to grow some real strong stuff.

When I say real strong stuff, that is derived from the expression and excitement of many weed smokers, I have seen when I say that "I am from Idukki". [continued]

:blowbubbles: :rtfo: :gday:

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
It is rumoured that the original 'White Widow' is a cross between a Kerala from India and the landrace Brazilian 'Manga Rose' sativa.

Here is some info about White Widow and its pedigree.
https://blog.seedsman.com/the-origins-of-white-widow-marijuana-strain/

The pedigree of this famous sativa/indica hybrid is made up of a pure Brazilian sativa mother and a South Indian, Keralan hybrid father.

I don't know of any other strains that contain Kerala genes.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
I received a PM from another Icmag user that The Real Seed Company sells Idukki seeds from Kerala.
https://therealseedcompany.com/products.php?product_id=14

Strain: Kerala
Genetics: Pure South Indian Ganja Plant
Latitude: 9°N
Regional Harvest: late December to early February
Height: 2m - 4m
Characteristics: minty, spicy, fruity, and floral aroma; intense, focused, and energising 'sativa' high
Traditional Purpose: ganja ( unseeded or lightly seeded female flowering tops)
Grow Type: Greenhouse or Outdoors

This is a classic South Indian ganja strain with a strong and stimulating 'sativa' high.

Kerala is a region with one of the world's most ancient and respected traditions of cannabis cultivation. This strain comes from the equatorial southern end of the Indian highlands known as the Western Ghats, in a region named Idukki - one of the most famous historic centres of ganja cultivation.

These plants are true tropical sativas that grow between two to four metres tall, with characteristic bamboo-like leaves. Buds are loose, airy and resinous with a minty, peppery and fruity aroma, yielding a pungent sweet smoke. The Kerala high is renowned for its energising positivity.

Kerala cultivars are typically planted around June to July and harvested from December to early February. Allow three to four months of flowering for optimum results. The best plants will show very good potency, and all will have the characteristic Kerala high.

A recent test on one plant reported 17.63% THC (or 14.86% THC, depending on how the result is interpreted). The terpenoids were dominated by linalool, alpha-pinene, and humulene, with smaller amounts of myrcene and beta-pinene. The strain showed no CBD, as expected.

Note: this batch of seeds has been produced indoors outside Kerala.

Last edited:

THCengineer

Thanks Cvh! Now I know where to get my minty, spicy, fruity, and floral aroma; intense, focused, and energising 'sativa' high!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If that Idukii Gold song is anything like the high I will get, then heaven awaits. Got a pack of Kerala after reading this.

therevverend

Veteran
It sounds like the center of cultivation has moved east from Kerala because of the drug war. I mean in terms of the big commercial plantations, there's still plenty of small scale cultivation. I've mentioned this in other threads but if you're interested in long flowering Indian tropical types there's plenty available. The Real Seed Company, Indian landrace Exchange, Ace, Trident Seeds, Coco Genes are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head and I know there's more. If you're interested in trying this type or other varieties from different regions it's not hard to get seeds. I notice this thread is a few years old but there's no pictures of finished flowers. Less talk more pictures!