What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Iceberg Hashish

troutman

Seed Whore
I've put off making this planned Iceberg Hashish for far too long with my Fall harvested buds. Now that Winter with it's snow.
I figured I better get to it before the snow all melts. The 1st time I made ice/water hashish was in 2009. I then used common
household items like tap water, bags of ice, coffee filter, a hand whisk and a big metal pot. This time around I decided to use
more appropriate items to make hashish.

So I eventually found some 12 inch plankton sieves on EBAY that can fit on a 5 gallon pail and stacked on top of each other
if needed. In time, I purchased 3 of plankton sieves of which I got the 25 micron, 75 micron and the 200 micron size ones.

I started the process of making my Iceberg Hashish by collecting fresh snow and melting it indoors. The water was then
filtered using coffee filters. Then the water was poured in a shallow metal tray outside to freeze for a few hours. I then
repeated this ice making process a few times and this gave me all the free ice I would need. Using a hammer to crack
the ice was fun.

Snow Collection

picture.php

Ice Making

picture.php

Ice Breaking

picture.php

Fresh Ice

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
These are buds from 2019 Fall harvest that I froze immediately.

Fresh Frozen Friesland Indica

picture.php

Same buds all chopped up ready to go.

Fresh Frozen Friesland Indica Buds

picture.php

I purchased a new Stainless Steel ice bucket for the job to avoid using too much plastic. I'm starting to hate plastics.

Stainless Steel Ice Bucket

picture.php

I started with a few inches of melted snow water, added buds and some ice.

Buds in Ice Bucket

picture.php

I then added some fresh snow, more buds, melted snow water, ice and more fresh snow.

Snow Added

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
I purchased a new hand blender that luckily was on sale and mixed the iceberg mixture a few times on and off for a total
of about 20 minutes. I left it all alone for a couple of hours for the ice to melt so the goodies could settle before proceeding.

Blender Time

picture.php

Then I removed the larger bud pieces from the water using a metal cooking mesh basket and it's not pictured.

Raw Hashish Water

picture.php

I then used the 200 micron sieve below to remove the remainder of the leaf material. This was a fairly fast step.

200 Micron Sieving Time

picture.php

This gave me a clean golden liquid free of any visible pieces of leaves,etc.

Cleaned Hashish Water

picture.php

I then used the 75 micron sieve to finally see what I have and started slowly with a turkey baster at first and it didn't
take long for some gold nuggets to be found. This sieve also allowed the water to pass fairly easy, but at a reduced rate
compared to the 200 micron.

75 Micron Resin

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
Here I started adding hashish water faster than the sieve could drip thru and you can see the goodies at the bottom of the liquid.

75 Micron Sieving Time

picture.php

Let's fill it up and stop wasting time. lol

75 Micron Sieving Time

picture.php

This pic is a closeup.

75 Micron Resin

picture.php

I dried the wet goodies on tinfoil because the day before I tried drying some on the sieve itself and it turned hard and
was impossible to scrape it off safely. So I wet it to dissolve it. Didn't want to rip my sieve. I used a small fan and
it dried too fast I guess causing this cracking effect. I won't use a fan again knowing this.

75 Micron Iceberg Hashish

picture.php

In this pic below, I start the final filtration using the 25 micron sieve to capture the smallest goodies I can. In this last step,
I learned the hard way that it's best to filter the top layer of water 1st and only deal with the bottom layer which contains
the last goodies afterwards. The reason is that otherwise the sieve will get clogged fast and the water takes forever to pass
thru. I do have a vacuum pump, Buchner funnel and Whatman No. 1 filter papers. Next time I'll use them for this last filtering.

25 Micron Sieving Time

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
The stuff I got from using the 25 micron sieve has a little more green to it and was softer than the 75 micron when dried.

25 Micron Iceberg Hashish

picture.php

I mixed it all up and stored it in 1.5 mL microcentrifuge tubes I use for seeds and placed them in my refrigerator.

I get a funny feeling these Iceberg Hashish tubes won't last long. :biggrin:

Iceberg Hashish

picture.php

I saved all used buds in baggies and refroze them for further extraction. They still smell nice and the plan is to distill
off the Terps using my laboratory glassware.

Saved For Terp Extraction

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
I still have a lot more fresh frozen Friesland Indica buds to extract before Winter is over. :dance013:

Making your own hashish sure makes you wonder how many plants it would take to make a ton of hashish. :hide:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Great tutorial troutman - it seems so much simpler when nature gives you a hand with all the ice and snow you need -

*I liked it so much - made it a sticky thread -

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee, hee, some curse the weather and others............…. Nice job using what was free and at hand, as well as documenting and sharing it!

E

ESTERCHASER

quick question

quick question

I still have a lot more fresh frozen Friesland Indica buds to extract before Winter is over. :dance013:

Making your own hashish sure makes you wonder how many plants it would take to make a ton of hashish. :hide:

so i should just take freshly harvested flowers and throw em in the freezer? Are they gonna need to be sealed air tight in their? I love to do this! thankyou for sharing this thread its right up my alley

troutman

Seed Whore
so i should just take freshly harvested flowers and throw em in the freezer? Are they gonna need to be sealed air tight in their? I love to do this! thankyou for sharing this thread its right up my alley

After trimming the plants place them in sealed bags. Best doubled. :tiphat:

Cvh

Supermod
Very nice tutorial Troutman! :)

I really like your use of natural renewable materials and collaboration with nature.

:ying: