What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ziplock Seeds - 3x3 Organic Soil Tent Grow - Back after 10yrs.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Hi! I used to post/grow but gave it up when I started a family. The family is still going but laws change and so does my situation. In the past 10yrs there has been a lot of new stuff come up. I'm currently waiting for my Spider Farm G3000 to arrive and cleaning up a bit in the basement to make room. I've always used HIDs and where I live, the heat they produced was necessary for winter growing indoors. With that said, I have more resources than 10yrs ago and feel confident I can procure what I need to control temps.

I have a bunch of beans but due to limited space will only be popping fems. My bean stash is modest but I do have Archive face off crosses, a smattering of CSI Humboldt and recently purchased some beans from Ziplock:

Ziplock Seeds
Watermelon Milkshake - cereal milk x KY jealousy
Heady Wedding - (wedding cake x gelato 33) x (strawberry snow x og headband royal)
Cherry Mafia - (mentol x garlic grove ss) x (cherry pie x chem dawg bx3)
Cherry Breath - (mendo breath x grateful breath) x (cherry pie x chem dawg bx3)

CSI Humboldt Seeds
Old Family Purple / T1000 x GSC
UK Cheese S1
Loompa's Headband x Triangle Kush

My plan is to pop a few of the above aiming for 4 healthy ladies to finish out. Todd from AG Seeds has me hyped on all of his heirloom genetics and I have a few of his packs but due to them being regular seeds, I am going to save them for when I have a bit more patience and time but I want to get a run under my belt.

Before

Redrum92

If you're new to LED, there are some significant differences to accommodate for: make sure you add cal-mag. It's necessary with LED 90% of the time. LED’s also don't show leaf burn the same, they will never taco/curl, they will look just fine until 24-48hrs later, and they are bleached and look nute burnt, so be careful about light height. They are surpsingly powerful in a much more directional way than HIDs with a reflector, so even 6" in light height difference can be the difference between A+ plants and B- plants, especially with light power at 100%. If you have a dimmer I'd highly recommend using it.

And as you mentioned, the heat. Try to make sure the plant/room is at least 74°f, root to leaf. If your canopy is 75 but your roots are 69, plant will struggle under full power. Also, some people have mentioned breeding issues with them, I believe specifically reversing plants/getting pollen.

Good luck. Hope you find it easy to resume!

Last edited:

budman678

Veteran
This is great advice. I plan to use a modified subcool super soil recipe as it always worked in the past. In regards to the LEDs, I've been doing a lot of reading and will make sure I take it easy. To your point, I want to dial everything in and lights are a big part of it.

budman678

Veteran
Starting to assemble the room. After a deep clean and a trip to the store to buy soil and amendments, I've started to mix the soil. The tent is up, fans rigged, light is hung and I'm germinating vegetables for my wife's outdoor garden. The soil will need to cook for at least a month..here's the recipe:

Modified Subcool supersoil recipe:

2 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil. I used FFOF and FF Happy Frog bc that is what I have access to (i.e., your base soil)
6.25 to 12.5 lbs of organic worm castings
20 ounces steamed bone meal
20 ounces bloom bat guano
20 ounces blood meal
5 ounces of kelp meal
10 ounces of alfalfa meal
3/4 lbs rock phosphate
3/16 cup or 3 tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons sweet lime (dolomite)
1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons azomite (trace elements)
1.5 teaspoons powdered humic acid
7 tablespoons of Roots Oregonism

I mixed it all up in a baby pool and will be "cooking" it in a 35gall garbage can with lid. I am bubbling 2-3 gallons of water to de-chlorinate and will water tomorrow to get everything activated. At week 4, I will pour it back out in the baby pool, mix thoroughly and age 2 more weeks in trashcan before using...

Super Soil will be in the bottom half of the pot, the rest will be FFOF/FFHF as my base soil.

budman678

Veteran
I've decided to what to move forward with on this run. While I would have liked to already have beans germinating, I'm waiting to have a door built to the room.

Here's what I got poppin:

CSI Humboldt Seeds
Old Family Purple / T1000 x GSC

Ziplock Seeds
Watermelon Milkshake - Cereal Milk x KY Jealousy
Fugazi Funk - LA Kush Cake x White Truffle
Lazer Wolf - Amaretto Sour x Tropsicle

Archive
Ginger Tea -(Pure Thai x Face Off OG) x Moonbow #75

Soil has been cooking for three weeks and I've been cleaning up the room and getting ready. I don't foresee issues with environment but I do have a dehuey, humidifer and can tap into the AC duct work (basement grow).

LEDs have become HUGE since I grew last and am beyond stoked to see what this Spider Farmer LED can do. We all know a dialed-in environment is key, so I purchased a Pulse One which I've had a ton of fun playing with.

budman678

Veteran
two weeks in beer cups and will be picking my final 9 to go into 3gallons. The plan would be to transplant within the next couple of days, give the ladies about two weeks to get comfy and then flip. I MAY top or I may leave them alone.

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4432.JPG
IMG_4433.JPG

Now, I've been out of the hobby for almost a decade but I am perplexed on why they're looking so unhappy. I've been giving them dechlorinated tap water and using good watering practices. Is it possible they've outgrown the cup in two weeks?

They're going in 3 gallon rain science bags with the bottom third being subcools supersoil which should help once they start getting some heavy nutes. the roots are just starting to circle in most of the cups but once again, they havent been in the cups long...

any ideas on why they're lookin droopy?

EDIT: I did water this morning and they were thirsty so that may have something to do with it...the plan is to transplant tomorrow evening. I've also decided to move from 24/0 light to 18/6 with tonight being the first dark period....i am not in a rush and i feel the 6hrs of darkness may slow them down a bit. what are your thoughts?

budman678

Veteran
Ziplock Seeds
Fugazi Funk - LA Kush Cake x White Truffle
Cuban Affair

I will be running two of each and an extra of another ;-) They're looking much better after getting a drink and turning off the lights for 6hrs. I've always run veg 24/0 but will be running these on 18/6. Does anyone find that the plants are happier when you give them a break from photosynthesis?

budman678

Veteran
Thanks for weighing in...I do think they benefited from taking a break. I also raised the light up to 18in and turned down the light to 30%...which is what the manufacturer recommended...who would have thought?
looks like too much light to me either dim the light or reduce the hours. its one of the first things i learnt when switching to led! hopefully they perk up soon
Thanks...I am new to LEDs and I think you hit the nail on the head...they were getting too much light...i raised the lights and turned it down a bit.

I think they will like their new homes as well.

budman678

Veteran
UPDATE:

Day 3 in 3gall Rain Science bags (loving them so far and seem to breathe even better than fabric pots) and 16 days since they beans popped from the root plugs. Spot watering while the roots get a bit bigger...I'll give them 2-3 weeks in their new pots before flowering. With such limited space, I'm going for a quick turnaround with little veg time versus topping/training and giving them a bunch of time. I simply don't have the space.

The ladies seem are recovering a bit from transplanting on Friday...they got a fairly nice soaking last night so should be good for about three days. It's taking a bit of time to get into a rhythm. It's been many years....

The watermelon milkshakes and laser wolfs seem to be the happiest thus far.

IMG_4442.JPG

Redrum92

Man, genetics are crazy these days. I don't recognize half of those names, but the ones I do, sound great. Looking forward to seeing what you produce!

Can't tell for sure from last pic, but from that perspective light looks a little close, partially by how the plants look. LED can be really deceptive, hard to say.

budman678

Veteran
Man, genetics are crazy these days. I don't recognize half of those names, but the ones I do, sound great. Looking forward to seeing what you produce!

Can't tell for sure from last pic, but from that perspective light looks a little close, partially by how the plants look. LED can be really deceptive, hard to say.
I found Ziplock Seeds on Redditt's r/microgrowery...its definetly the fruity, cookie-type plants that I am not familiar with at all. I have run Chunkypig's OGKB 2.0 but unfortunately its been lost. Also had the forum cut cookies from 2010 icmag.

So, I am mostly a gas guy (Sour D, Chems, Kushs, etc) but I want to give some of these hype strains a proper run as I don't have access to these types of genetics. I won an auction and have 10+ packs of Ziplock Seeds...all different types and all feminized....if any of them strike your fancy, let me know and I can send some your way. ICMAG's members have always been VERY generous in the past ;-)

I also love CSI Humboldt and Archive Genetics...I feel those guys are preserving the legendary strains that were popular 20yrs ago (Triangle, Urkel, Chems, Sour D's, Trainwreck, Headband, etc). And IMHO, there's nothing better than a properly grown Sour D. I love those terps...

Now, getting back to the LEDs...I am new to them and when I used to grow with HPSs, I'd get it as close as I could without burning but it's apparent that these LEDs are way more powerful.

Do you have any tips? The SpiderFarmer G3000 states that for early veg, 16-24inchs above the canopy at 30% dimmed. I would say I am closer to 16inches but might raise it a few more. The power of these new lights are WILD and they fact they don't produce any heat...got me off my game.

budman678

Veteran
Looking good, been wondering about spider farmer
I scooped the G3000 during a sale in early April. It's damn powerful for my 3x3. It's currently about 18-20in above the tops of the plants and only running at 30%....I find it hard to believe that I'll be turning it higher but I assume as the leaves get bigger, the ladies will be able to soak it up.

These are some high-quality lights....

sneezydog

I heard some run big powerful lights at 30 percent the whole time, someone else will explain the logic but less energy loss and intensity, i think. Just adding more leds if needing more light.
I dont run lights so take it for what its worth... questionable hearsay

budman678

Veteran
I’ve also been reading recently that some breeders ask that you veg from seed for 75 days before flowering to limit intersex potential. If you can veg that long, take cuts and flower those out.

Anyone else heard this? I don’t have the ability to keep clones and personally, the appeal of growing from seed is finding new herb and the whole reason I grow. I could run my buddies clones but he’s been growing the same four strains for 20yrs. I need variety and novel cultivars.

sneezydog

Urkel was nice stuff. Chocolope ive heard is about the same as it was. The seeds i had were good. Im not into cookies, i had 1 experience with a crazy high and nothing since like it from any cookies relative. Just pressure in the head and a gentle stone.
Juicy fruit? Fruity juice haha. Short and sticky and nice warm effect

Latest posts

Latest posts