What's new

I put together a leaf mold pile today, and wanted to show someone.

Plookerkingjon

Well I very much appreciate that. I can't seem to send you a private message but if you wanna send me one I'd love to hear what you've got to say and I've got a few questions I'd like you run by you too. Thanks
Chunky pigs idea of mulching it up is a phenomenal suggestion he's on the right path he's giving you great advice I would also if I were you suggest grabbing clean cardboard in an area that you're going to want to grow in and cover all your leaf mold piles with cardboard. You can also go to your local Forest try to find the oldest hardwood tree black cherry Oaks Maples Birch Beach whatever the case may be go to the base of the oldest one that you can find get to the main trunk get that leaf mold you'll know immediately because it looks like coffee grounds and it smells phenomenal get a bag of it bring it home add that to your leaf mold litter pile can't go wrong I'm full of all sorts of neat tricks you can use in nature in the forest to bring the forest pest prevention vigor Etc etcetera into your Gardens at home. And I apologize for the not being able to send messages and stuff like that there's a bunch of settings and options here at the site that I haven't quite figured out yet

Rico Swazi

I need to get better about using YouTube. I have a friend who learns so much on it. I just have a hard time watching for more than 5 min. I read info well though. I'm going to using YouTube more though. I'll check this out

like to read ?

Spent lots of time there even becoming a member but everything is open source now so no need really
look for untreated unpainted rotting wood for your hugelbeet
found a bunch sitting on a burn pile that I buried in a problem area with clay soil early last year

hoog 3.jpg

hoog 4.jpg

hoog  5.jpg

be sure to cover your compost heaps and piles to prevent leaching
leaf mold piles optional IMHO

Good luck Mr Baggins

Rico Swazi

the best way t speed up the fungal leaf breakdown is to keep the pile evenly wet. Many people make leaf mould in big plastic bags with a few drainage holes - so as to keep them all damp/wet. but a pile is fine too. perhaps cover the top to stop the top layer drying out. Some leaves rot down pretty quickly and some like beach or oak will take a couple of years.
Leaf mold is actually fairly low in nutrients compared to compost but it is excellent at improving the soil structure and moisture holding and increasing the life in the soil.
VG

gave bins too fragile for soil to friends for leaf mold project
holes in the bottom for the worms to crawl in and out
took about a year undisturbed for the leaves to become friable with bits of white fungi throughout
had a good portion of castings along for the ride also

bin leaf mold 1.jpg

bin leaf mold 2.jpg

Agreed not much nutrient value but plants do love a good trip on humic acids
+1 for the distinction between the two piles

Growdo Baggins

like to read ?

Spent lots of time there even becoming a member but everything is open source now so no need really
look for untreated unpainted rotting wood for your hugelbeet
found a bunch sitting on a burn pile that I buried in a problem area with clay soil early last year

View attachment 18800112

View attachment 18800113

View attachment 18800114

be sure to cover your compost heaps and piles to prevent leaching
leaf mold piles optional IMHO

Good luck Mr Baggins
Dang man, I honestly have to say thanks again in a big way. That forum was something I needed but didn't know I needed. I'm reading Permaculture a Designers Manual by Bill Mollison right now. It's got me really interested. It's a lot to read, but I'm learning a lot. I thought of getting an easier Permaculture book to read, but it seems like I can't go wrong with one I'm reading, so I'm stick with it. I'm very excited about that forum thanks again.

Rico Swazi

Yeah, any of those early pioneers the likes of Bill Mollison, David Holmgren, Reny Slay, Rachel Carson, J. Russel Smith, and Sepp Holzer are all great to read just try not to let it over whelm would be my advice. When you need to take a break from reading, take a walkabout to see if the neighbors have leaf piles and/or rotted wood tucked away.

20220328_130317.jpg

20220328_151956.jpg

Be a good time to meet the neighbors if you haven't already. They can be and have been for me an incredible resource of local materials. Return the favor with fruits and veggies or compost and things become symbiotic, harmonious or just plain better for the effort.
I acquired this acre in '95 as a stepping stone to a larger parcel but loved the 'hood' far too much to leave. How much property did you say you have to work with?
Wishing you all the best with being a good caretaker/steward of the land. You are off to a great start IMO.

Growdo Baggins

Yeah, any of those early pioneers the likes of Bill Mollison, David Holmgren, Reny Slay, Rachel Carson, J. Russel Smith, and Sepp Holzer are all great to read just try not to let it over whelm would be my advice. When you need to take a break from reading, take a walkabout to see if the neighbors have leaf piles and/or rotted wood tucked away.

View attachment 18802099

Be a good time to meet the neighbors if you haven't already. They can be and have been for me an incredible resource of local materials. Return the favor with fruits and veggies or compost and things become symbiotic, harmonious or just plain better for the effort.
I acquired this acre in '95 as a stepping stone to a larger parcel but loved the 'hood' far too much to leave. How much property did you say you have to work with?
Wishing you all the best with being a good caretaker/steward of the land. You are off to a great start IMO.
I also have 1 acre, but was very lucky to move next door to a very good older couple who used to run a horse farm. They've got soil outside their hay barn that's very black with the most worms and insects I've ever seen in soil. It's funny that you mentioned that about neighbors bc I've scored hay, black soil, worms, leaves, banana trees that I used for compost, from their farm. They're older and I help them a lot around their house bc their children don't live close. They are really great people and when I get it together they're going to let me let a cow graze on their pastures with the horses. They're actually over here right now bc my parents are visiting and they're all meeting. I'm on the couch on my phone, lol. They're all old people talking, lol.

Man I was thinking kinda the same thing about this house and property. This is supposed to be a starter house but once I've put in years of work to get the farm where I want it, I'm not going to want to move and start over.

I've been loving Permies. Already met a few good people and have gotten a plan together for a hugelkulter, also some really good ideas for around here. I bought a rain barrel. It's a fabric one. I haven't tried it yet. I'm trying to finish this gardening book I bought. I haven't gotten to the vegetable section yet and I'm needing to start getting certain veggies ready right now. But I'm not sure which ones. I know potatoes and onions need to be getting ready soon for where I live. Also prob need to start my tomatoes.

Fungalfreude

That's good stuff thanks. Is there anything I can do to speed up the fungaly driven process?

Also I scored 5 big pumpkin gourde type things and have been grabbing about 5 bags of leaves a day from houses I've driven past this week. I'm going to create a separate pile with some leaves and the pumpkins as a compost pile.

I understand how the leaves are fungaly driven break down process and compost is bacterially driven, but I don't yet understand how the end product differs. I've googled how is leaf mold different than compost but as I understand it is just got less nutrients in leaf mold.
I saw this thread while scouring the Web for info on organic soil and thought I'd join up to post. Hello!
I'm a new grower too, and after years of research (including reading teaming with microbes) two soil amendments have really caught my attention: biochar and leaf mould.
From what I've read, your pile of leaves will take up to 3 years to be fully decomposed, due to the slow, cold fungal decomposition process. One way to speed this up could be to water it with a fish hydrolysate solution- it is apparently an excellent food source for fungi. I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, and I haven't tried it on a pile of leaves myself, the idea just came to me recently and seeing your thread made me want to share.
Here's a link to a recipe with a bit of background: https://joegroworegon.wixsite.com/fermentationfarmer/fish-fertilizer
Also, for a reliable uk source of ready made leaf mould check out https://www.leafmould.co.uk . It also has info on the formation and benefits of leaf mould, which you might find useful.

Hope this helps, and happy growing!

Last edited:

Three Berries

Limestone will help speed up the decomposition. To much is anti fungal though. I guess you could measure the pH of the pile squeezings Tree material will be a low pH, wood especially.. I've found the bark and branches to be quite good at stopping plants seeds from spouting and inhibits root branching with grass and seed. Worse under hardwood nut trees with a lot of tannin.

Growdo Baggins

I saw this thread while scouring the Web for info on organic soil and thought I'd join up to post. Hello!
I'm a new grower too, and after years of research (including reading teaming with microbes) two soil amendments have really caught my attention: biochar and leaf mould.
From what I've read, your pile of leaves will take up to 3 years to be fully decomposed, due to the slow, cold fungal decomposition process. One way to speed this up could be to water it with a fish hydrolysate solution- it is apparently an excellent food source for fungi. I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, and I haven't tried it on a pile of leaves myself, the idea just came to me recently and seeing your thread made me want to share.
Here's a link to a recipe with a bit of background: https://joegroworegon.wixsite.com/fermentationfarmer/fish-fertilizer
Also, for a reliable uk source of ready made leaf mould check out https://www.leafmould.co.uk . It also has info on the formation and benefits of leaf mould, which you might find useful.

Hope this helps, and happy growing!
That's a good recipe. I didn't know much about it, but it seems do able. Thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Latest posts