What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need soil recommendation...

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Yes, ProMix. Also Roots Organics Original ( or Lush their Super Soil ), Espoma's Organic Potting Soil ( Sinai needed nothing but Water when grown in it ). I liked Strawberry Fields more than Happy Frog or Ocean Forest from Fox Farm.

Depends where you are though, like @GMT said.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The above soils are different and have different feeding requirements. Pro-mix is a soil-less that has to be fed a regular consistent EC.

Roots Organic soils are amended and will feed the plant with pure water releasing the organic salts. Every time you water Roots Organic with pure water it replaces the nutrients.

The success of both soils depends on water management. Using water to "hold or release" the run-off is key to the longevity of the substrate. If I discharge a lot of water using an Organic mix it will run low on nutrients quicker. If I hold the runoff the soil EC will last longer. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If using a peat or coco substrate I need to maintain a constant EC in the containers. Using a synthetic fertilizer I can maintain a constant EC by doing a pour-through and catching the runoff and measuring the EC with a pocket meter. If the EC gets low I add more fertilizer ppm to bring the EC back up. If the EC gets too high then I run more feed water out the bottom of the pot to lower the ppm. HOLD or RELEASE the fertilizer water to maintain a steady EC. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Knowing the water volume of a container will allow me to hold and release water better. If I have a 5-gallon pot of soil and it holds 3 liters of water before it "runs off" or "discharges" then I know not to use more than needed to keep runoff to a minimum. That is key to water management. 😎

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Thanks for the replies guys.

I would prefer to have a soil that all I have to do is water it with ph corrected water and the soil feeds the plant. Then later when in flower I can feed bloom.
And every time from now on I'll be adding perlite to the soil mix so that it works better.
The Times I have added perlite to my soil in the past the plants always grew great.

And I need a soil that is good for both autos and regular seeds.

BlackSwan Indoor

Been growing now for 3 years with plenty of soil/type bases. For my last two grows I have mixed according to Sub Cools super soil mix. I am impressed, to say the least. No added nutrients are required but I do use De-ionised water from filters I build myself. On the second grow, from the same soil, I have only added 20% of the original worm casting amount and added all the additives below that as per the original mix. By the look of the grow this is working better than the start mix ratio's.

I also added 15% vermiculite to the original mix which improved water retention.

I will not change back to adding nutrients to a coco mix again as there is waaaaay too much labor involved and this soil mix turns out about 50% cheaper than the nutrient alternatives. I do source the ingredients from the manufacturers so that does positively affect my pricing.

If you going soil, all I can say is that you must do the research and test, test, test.

Recipe (makes 100 gallons):
  • 8 - 1.5 cubic ft bags of high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (Sold Separately)
  • 1 - 30lb. bag of Worm Castings
  • 5 lbs. Bone Meal
  • 5 lbs. High Phosphorus Bat Guano
  • 5 lbs. Blood Meal
  • 3 lbs. Rock Phosphate
  • 3/4 cup Epsom Salt
  • 1/2 cup Garden Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 2 TBS powdered Humic Acid
  • 10% (by weight) Vermiculite (BlackSwan addition to mix design)
Once amended, It is necessary that you let the soil mature over 6 to 10 weeks prior to planting.

Phlavorjunkee

Veteran
I've grown in all kinds of soiless mediums.
Currently using Nectar of the Gods #4 mix.
It works well , and is comparable to
"Roots organic original. " IMO and is full of food. The plants literally " eat " the soil till there's nothing but roots and perlite some peat.. Lol

I used Roots Organic original for a while as well as Fox Farm's Happy Frog . Both worked well for me, and for while I was mixing the two.

I used Canna Terra Pro for a bit , it seemed to help my yields, but ultimately it retained water TO good and kept having Gnat issues . Wish canna could get that all sorted out. there is New Bio canna Pro soil I want to try but seems there's issues with it too as far as insects .
but at some point I'd like try another run with it.
But I remember opening new bags and gnats flying out. That was end the of Canna Terra Pro!
Sunshine #4 bales mixed with happy Frog worked for me well in the past as well.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
In soil, yellow sticky traps are your friend.

After a run I recycle the soil and add a bag of BAS recharging elements. I like to put in greens such as alfalfa, barley, kelp, etc to cook in also. My soil gets pH’d to around 8 with oyster and crab. I add more drainage during the recycle also. Biochar, pumice, rice hulls, etc… during the run the soil gets top dressed which has EWC. I may toss in a bag of Black Kow and a bag of mushroom compost. I need to send some off for testing, cause I never have.

Phlavorjunkee

Veteran
In soil, yellow sticky traps are your friend.

After a run I recycle the soil and add a bag of BAS recharging elements. I like to put in greens such as alfalfa, barley, kelp, etc to cook in also. My soil gets pH’d to around 8 with oyster and crab. I add more drainage during the recycle also. Biochar, pumice, rice hulls, etc… during the run the soil gets top dressed which has EWC. I may toss in a bag of Black Kow and a bag of mushroom compost. I need to send some off for testing, cause I never have.
I buy the " yellow cards" in 25 packs, my mom's are always wearing one or two 😎