What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I love how suddenly in the last few years all those landrace seeds are either from 1970, 1975 or 1979. They must be using some random year generator.

Lugo

Veteran
Because I personally call BS.

Especially when some of these cats are under 30.

Especially when they give no background information on the supposed cultivar.

Especially when they are trying to make money and/or swap for genetics.

Especially when all you see is random, single stage pictures but never any actual flowers.

They put a born on date on the product but never tell you when, where, how or even by whom the plant (s) was/were grown.

You'll never hear " I grew this in 19-" whatever in such and such place.

At least a "the sea was angry that day my friend"...but nada.

If your jockeying for position don't make it so bloody obvious.

End rant.

✌️💀🌺

right

There is lots of Info on Hempys thai .people are hording these old strains . A lot of stuff is getting released now .I think its yosammy that has some good old stuff. And alot of Neville stuff is coming out .

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive got some seeds that my sister in law brought back from visiting family in Guerroro, supposedly from a very small working farm on the border with Oaxaca. I sure hope its some of that that OG south american sativa instead of those bullshit hybrids watered down with afghanicas from the 90's
Why would it not possibly be sativa from Guerrero or Oaxaca? - just as good or better than South American.

Lugo

Veteran
Ive got some seeds that my sister in law brought back from visiting family in Guerroro, supposedly from a very small working farm on the border with Oaxaca. I sure hope its some of that that OG south american sativa instead of those bullshit hybrids watered down with afghanicas from the 90's
Mexico is North America actually and its huge. I would not be surprised if there are still some original Mexican landrace around. Or at least now that everyone is realizing how valuable they are to the world Cannabis community and its history that maybe some of the OGs are doing some inside inventory and breaking out some old school stash.

Stuff may even be in lock-up somewhere maybe as evidence or scientific samples. Even the universities might have a stash at least going back to the 70's, who knows. 🤞

RobFromTX

Mexico is North America actually and its huge. I would not be surprised if there are still some original Mexican landrace around. Or at least now that everyone is realizing how valuable they are to the world Cannabis community and its history that maybe some of the OGs are doing some inside inventory and breaking out some old school stash.

Stuff may even be in lock-up somewhere maybe as evidence or scientific samples. Even the universities might have a stash at least going back to the 70's, who knows. 🤞

I knew mexico was north america but didnt all of the old line sativas come from south america? I know most the stuff we use to get imported to texas was the watered down hybrids. I'll pop them this spring

Lugo

Veteran
I knew mexico was north america but didnt all of the old line sativas come from south america? I know most the stuff we use to get imported to texas was the watered down hybrids. I'll pop them this spring
I really can't say. All I know is that in relation to topography there are many different regions with different climates and elevations so as to make each cultivar unique be the origin that it may.

Good question though. They might have received African genetics with the slave trade at the same time as lets say Cartagena. They just split ways towards different terroirs.

Nevermind the mostly unrecorded pre-conquista Cannabis history that disappeared with the natives. All those unrecorded indigenous trade routes, who knows how far back it goes.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Having partaken of Oaxacan sativa in 1970 as well as Colombian, I can attest to a preference for the former. This was prior to the Mex cartels being engaged. The weed from Oaxaca was wrapped in newspaper or wax paper and sealed in wax with the farmer's imprint.

Lugo

Veteran
Having partaken of Oaxacan sativa in 1970 as well as Colombian, I can attest to a preference for the former. This was prior to the Mex cartels being engaged. The weed from Oaxaca was wrapped in newspaper or wax paper and sealed in wax with the farmer's imprint.
Then enter the cartels and out go the landraces.

I think its sad that when folks talk about Mexican old school and its just skunky hybrids.

But on a more positive note there is a pretty amazing variety of skunks in MX.

I'd even say its a skunk reserve 🦨

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1696267511433.jpg
    FB_IMG_1696267511433.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 37

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It's like the kids of today don't know that there used to be seeds in weed.

If I have learned something in the last few years it's that you can just say "fake news" and everything that transpired that you don't approve of magically disappears.