What's new

I have a mission for music heads..

G

With no reward but the satisfaction that you helped someone else. Yahoo!

Sound Tribe Sector 9 made a song called Equinox.
I want to find bands that make music similar to what is in this song because I love it.

If anyone happens to have this song, and happens to know bands that sound like this, that'd be really fuckin cool if you could lemme know!!

All you want is a hippy jam fest. There's tons of compilations of this shit. How do you listen to this stuff without slicing your throat?

HuffAndPuff

STS9 (Sound Tribe Sector 9) is an instrumental band who are known for their live performances. The band’s genre-blending sound is based heavily on Instrumental Rock and Electronic Music crossed with elements of Funk, Jazz, Psychedelic, and Hip Hop. The band mixes standard live rock instrumentation with electronics, favoring group rhythm over individual solos.

STS9 has released four albums and one live DVD on their own label 1320 Records. As an independent artist, they have succeeded by using their live performance to conduct multiple concert tours and appear at music festivals. They have achieved significant niche popularity in a few areas of the country through frequent appearances, most notably in greater San Francisco Bay Area including Santa Cruz, California; the greater Denver, Colorado area including Boulder, Colorado; and the greater Atlanta, Georgia area including Athens, Georgia.

Other Bands the members are in include:

Tzolkin

On several occasions, STS9 has billed themselves under the name Tzolkin. A promotional flyer put out by the band advertising the 2001 performance reads: “A New Sound Expression” from Sound Tribe Sector 9. Tzolkin is all 5 members of STS9. These very experimental concerts have been used to debut brand new material in a live setting without having the audience expectation of hearing existing STS9 material. The term Tzolkin means sequence of days and refers to a 260-day harmonic module calendar cycle.
Tzolkin performed live on:
July 3, 2001 – The Justice League, San Francisco, CA
October 12, 2002 – Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA (Earthdance Festival)
June 10, 2004 – Tasty World, Athens, GA

Landscape and Breathe

Landscape and Breathe is STS9 members David Phipps (keyboards/laptop) and Hunter Brown (guitar/laptop/midi keyboard). Landscape and Breathe is very similar to the sound of STS9. Steeped in ambience and without drums and bass, the sound is softer and lighter. This side project has been known to work through raw material and ideas that eventually become real STS9 compositions.
Landscape and Breathe is credited with producing 4 songs on the STS9 2005 release Artifact. The duo also contributed 4 different songs to the Low Pro Lounge 2004 release, The Most Hi-Fi. Other Landscape and Breathe compositions can be found on the STS9 2004 release Live At Home, although the songs are credited individually to Phipps and Hunter.
Landscape and Breathe performed live on:
July 15, 2001 – Club Sugar, Santa Monica, CA
March 19, 2003 – Olive, San Francisco, CA (J. Garcia art opening)
April 20, 2003 – Rawhide, San Francisco, CA (Low Pro Lounge event)
July 31, 2004 – Brookdale Lodge, Brookdale, CA (Blue Moon Benefit)

Santa Cruz Hemp All-Stars

Santa Cruz Hemp All-Stars (S.C.H.A.S.) is a side project that includes the STS9 rhythm section of Jeffree Lerner (percussion & effects) and Zach Velmer (drums). STS9 member David Murphy (bass) has also appeared with the band on 4 occasions.
S.C.H.A.S. performed live on:
May 13, 2001 – Palooka Ville, Santa Cruz, CA
August 19, 2001 – Palooka Ville, Santa Cruz, CA
December 16, 2001 – The Justice League, San Francisco, CA
January 25, 2002 – Civic Auditorium, Santa Cruz, CA (opening for Maceo Parker)
June 14. 2002 – Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA
November 16, 2002 – Studio Z, San Francisco, CA

L.I.F.E.
L.I.F.E. (Love In Full Effect) was a short lived side project that included STS9 member Zach Velmer (drums) plus Max Malone (drums, bass) from The Free Energy Project. According to the band: The intention of L.I.F.E. is to perform music as an uplifting experience of transformation to a higher vibration of love. Through selected tones and rhythms, the music is performed as a cycle of life recognizing our journey from birth to death, spring to winter, as circle, vibrating higher after each revolution to experience Love In its Fullest Effect.[7]
L.I.F.E. performed live on:
January 12, 2002 - Studio Z, San Francisco, CA (Digital-Be-In Media Festival)
February 1, 2002 - Vet’s Hall, Santa Cruz, CA

Root Science
Root Science was a short lived side project that included STS9 members Zach Velmer (drums) and David Murphy (bass). The band also included DJ James Christopher, lyricists Lost and XQR, and female vocalist Syrene. A promotional flyer put out by the band advertising the event reads: “Root Science is a classic drum and bass tracks interpreted live in an improvisational atmosphere. As a group, the performers will recreate and simultaneously reinvent the sounds at the roots of the modern jungle.”
Root Science performed live on:
February 2, 2002 – The Justice League, San Francisco, CA

Here's a link where you can prolly find that stuff: http://1320records.com/store/s2/artistHome.jsp?artist=sts9

AOTA is from Wikipedia

As far as similar music played by people that ain't them.... I've never listened toSTS9 before, but the description sounds a lot like an instrumental album the Beastie Boys put out a while back, as well as a lot of their 'ill communication' album.....

HuffAndPuff

G

The Son of Man said:
All you want is a hippy jam fest. There's tons of compilations of this shit. How do you listen to this stuff without slicing your throat?
Have you listened to that specific song?

G

SoylentGreen said:
http://www.allmusic.com lists the following as "similar artists"

* Ozric Tentacles
* Disco Biscuits
* Eat Static
* Galactic
* Steam Donkeys

Might start there?

:joint:
I wanted a more direct recommendation because this is the thing....
Most of STS9's songs I listen to I really don't like. There's like 4 songs I like out of who knows, a bunch of albums. That's why I wanted to find bands that sound similar to this song, not necessarily ones that are related to STSS9. But I'll give those a try, thank u

G

journies said:
I wanted a more direct recommendation because this is the thing....
Most of STS9's songs I listen to I really don't like. There's like 4 songs I like out of who knows, a bunch of albums. That's why I wanted to find bands that sound similar to this song, not necessarily ones that are related to STSS9. But I'll give those a try, thank u

ooops sorry about that, I should have read a little more carefully.

G

SoylentGreen said:
ooops sorry about that, I should have read a little more carefully.
its ok, happens all the time, plus, now i have some new bands to look into, regardless. thanks

G

The Son of Man said:
I've listened to an entire cd of their stuff--against my will--enough for a life-time. I don't know what songs though.
Well you should at least listen to this song and get back to me. Like I said, I only really truly like a few songs from STS9. Most I don't, although I could appreciate them.

I have freidns that are obsessed with this kind of music, we go on road trrips and they'll play it for an hour or a little more, that's as much as I can handle, and I say OK LETS SWITCH TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN TECHNO BEE BOPS. LOL!

I listen to a wide range of music depending on what I'm doing, my mood, etc. This song is great for backround music when you're getting high, or if you're just on some journey, I think...I like it because it's calm and catchy and uses a unique combination of instruments. It isn't l ike some of the STS9 shit that is almost on the verge of techno, this is a very chilled out song. You should listen to it, I'm sure there's a sample somewhere on the net out there, see if you like it.

HuffAndPuff

http://www.amazon.com/Equinox/dp/B000YJN7Z2/ref=sr_f2_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1201235359&sr=102-1

Dude, is this what you are listening to? Put down the effing mushrooms, go shower vigorously to get off any patchouli residue, and shut that stuff off before your brain eats itself! I am only half-kidding, because to each their own, and good for you for liking some kind of music, and trying to find more of it... more power to you... But, really? Possibly, if I was on Acid. It would have to be a lot, too, but it kinda sounded like music I might like to see when I'm tripping ballsack....

HuffandPuff

Last edited:
G

I dunno, it's just one of the many songs I like, I really don't like the techno scene, and I have trouble accepting electronic keyboard stuff and computer noises, but I thought this song was pretty good and didn't offend me too much ;)

But seriously, I checked that preview, and it does not do justice to this song. You really need to listen to all 8 mins to understand how good it is, or at least get a better picture, because that sample doesn't represent anywhere near what the song has in store!

Last edited:

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
hey journies, I recently stumbled upon a good sound...band is called Nightmares On Wax...album I have is called smokers delight... please check it out. I know you'll be satisfied.

I have a bunch of live shows from STS9, good stuff. I thought I was the only one that knew about it! you like some good tunes man, glad we can relate...

G

Nice, ha!

ToKEN said:
hey journies, I recently stumbled upon a good sound...band is called Nightmares On Wax...album I have is called smokers delight... please check it out. I know you'll be satisfied.

I have a bunch of live shows from STS9, good stuff. I thought I was the only one that knew about it! you like some good tunes man, glad we can relate...

With no reward but the satisfaction that you helped someone else. Yahoo!

Sound Tribe Sector 9 made a song called Equinox.
I want to find bands that make music similar to what is in this song because I love it.

If anyone happens to have this song, and happens to know bands that sound like this, that'd be really fuckin cool if you could lemme know!!
So, the first time I saw STS9 at bonnaroo I was 16 and my mind was blown. I went and bought the actual CD’s, which sounded nothing like I remembered live, but that Equinox on Seasons 1 is and has become one of my favorite things to listen to of all time. I don’t often, but you just reminded me. The band was so much jazzier and organic back then…now it’s like all beeps and boops and honestly I haven’t seen them since Murph left…but my first thoughts for bands were Tortoise (Standards, It’s All Around You, and def Tortoise remixed which is on YouTube. Then I thought of MMW…probably End of the World Party (Just in Case), then maybe some bonobo, Radiohead…I put on equinox and got Spotify to make a radio station, so here ya go! Like decades later 🤩