What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have a Gavita 900 E and want to add some supplemental lighting

PunkboY

Gavita UVR LED 120-240V?

I have 345 watts and use it for Veg.
I believe I could use more watts. I am learning so I apologize for my ignorance. I would like 450-500 Watts. It's in a 4x4 Gorilla tent

goingrey

Gavita UVR LED 120-240V?

I have 345 watts and use it for Veg.
I believe I could use more watts. I am learning so I apologize for my ignorance. I would like 450-500 Watts. It's in a 4x4 Gorilla tent
The Gavita UVR LED is a 30W UV-A only light. It may be useful because of the antifungal/antibacterial qualities of UV radiation or maybe some plants like the UV.

But if you want more watts to grow more bud it is not the light you should choose.

PunkboY

Thank you for the information. I am also considering AC infinity IONBEAM U4

Is 345 Watts of the 900E enough? For Veg in a 4x4?​

goingrey

The AC infinity IONBEAM U4 is also a UV only light but more powerful. Might literally kill your plants if you put it in your tent and keep it on all day.

Something like the MIGRO ARAY 1 is what you want instead.

The Gavita 900e will be more than enough for veg in that space. Even flower with a well trained even canopy and the lamp at a suitable distance. Maybe just do a run with it first and then evaluate if you need to buy more gear?

Ca++

Might give 500umol.

A have a friend in a similar situation. He has a 600 in a 4x4 which just falls a little short of what he wants. However, as this main light wants to be in the middle, he is left looking at a 50w cob for each corner. It's not cost effective. (He may use a barn reflector, and two bar lights. That's no use to you though)

230w a meter, really is marginal. I personally wouldn't bother. Though it's probably a fair starting point as a beginner. It's 'just' enough to pull it off. No records being broken, but I have seen a lot worse results than you could achieve.

I'm not sure you can dangle 25w in each corner. A couple of household lamps perhaps.
@Mars Hydro Led Some 50w corner lights would be nice. I think you left the little cob market, but as a unique selling point, you could add a pole mount. They would be very useful for people moving up a tent size, but wanting to keep their original light. The customer is there, but no product, or suggestion there is one. What is your smallest right now?

PunkboY

The AC infinity IONBEAM U4 is also a UV only light but more powerful. Might literally kill your plants if you put it in your tent and keep it on all day.

Something like the MIGRO ARAY 1 is what you want instead.

The Gavita 900e will be more than enough for veg in that space. Even flower with a well trained even canopy and the lamp at a suitable distance. Maybe just do a run with it first and then evaluate if you need to buy more gear?
Thank you I appreciate the information I couldn't find much on the 900 E.

PunkboY

Might give 500umol.

A have a friend in a similar situation. He has a 600 in a 4x4 which just falls a little short of what he wants. However, as this main light wants to be in the middle, he is left looking at a 50w cob for each corner. It's not cost effective. (He may use a barn reflector, and two bar lights. That's no use to you though)

230w a meter, really is marginal. I personally wouldn't bother. Though it's probably a fair starting point as a beginner. It's 'just' enough to pull it off. No records being broken, but I have seen a lot worse results than you could achieve.

I'm not sure you can dangle 25w in each corner. A couple of household lamps perhaps.
@Mars Hydro Led Some 50w corner lights would be nice. I think you left the little cob market, but as a unique selling point, you could add a pole mount. They would be very useful for people moving up a tent size, but wanting to keep their original light. The customer is there, but no product, or suggestion there is one. What is your smallest right now

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Might give 500umol.

@Mars Hydro Led Some 50w corner lights would be nice. I think you left the little cob market, but as a unique selling point, you could add a pole mount. They would be very useful for people moving up a tent size, but wanting to keep their original light. The customer is there, but no product, or suggestion there is one. What is your smallest right now?
Our current smallest grow lights are TS600 100W and SP150 140W, and there are 45W infrared and ultraviolet supplementary lights, and VG80 that can be used as supplementary light, and the total of two light strips is 80W. We were wondering which light do you think we should add a pole mount to?

Ca++

Our current smallest grow lights are TS600 100W and SP150 140W, and there are 45W infrared and ultraviolet supplementary lights, and VG80 that can be used as supplementary light, and the total of two light strips is 80W. We were wondering which light do you think we should add a pole mount to?

Something else..
I see your smallest lamp is a 40w linear strip.
The smallest area people want to light, is somewhere between a cup, and a standard seed tray. These are not strip shaped. They are round, or rectangular. Needing about 15W.
HTB1sI12XOzxK1Rjy1zkq6yHrVXaQ.jpg

That's actually 26w, and having seen standard domestic lamps use 18w, I can believe it really is 26w.
People are using table lamps with domestic bulb, to start their grow, or their garden crop each year, very often. There are quite a lot of small lights with table attachment clips available. The market is there, and well catered for. Unless.. you like brands. Some people don't buy from Aliexpress. They don't want generic amazon tosh. They want the small light, but something they can believe in. It must be at least Nike Bridgelux, and Samsung 301 is impossible to go wrong with.

This chap here is unsure about the corners of his tent. Just like my friend, his light was originally for something else, and any light depreciation in the corners, is a waste of good growing space.
If this little lamp was 20w of 2.5umol, giving us 50umol per meter, it could light a 30x30cm space to near 500ppfd. Realistically, using smart chips, not proper drivers, we might have to accept less efficiency. Maybe 350-400ppfd if just trying to light that foot. Which is really more than adequate to boost the corner of a tent up from measly to adequate. Or light a double prop, or single plant for a couple of weeks.

Getting such a lamp made, would be very easy, as it's just assembling what already exists. The technical advancement, might come in the form of lamp holders, designed for poles. There are lots used for fans, so it to, is already done. Another option would be clipping them to your lights. Making the lighting rig one item, for moving up and down together.

To be honest, 20w is quite big for the small jobs I have spoke of. The people making domestic lamps with just a few watts less, could switch to better known LEDs and they would cost little more to produce. Or package, or post. It's all already done. You would have to use an aluminum finned design, just to set it apart from the basic lamp it really is. Then provide a decent mount, for people that don't want to think about it.

It's really the lack of mounts, that stop me putting in domestic lamps for my friend. If I do, I'm looking at a Philips 14w@1.7umol/w which is half of the 20w@2.5umol/w I propose. The Philips isn't quite worth the investment, as I would need two in each corner, and it's getting untidy. Yes the Philips will light a prop for seeds or cuts, but straight away, that 250ppfd over a foot is too weak to move into veg with.

I just need that small light to put in the corner. It could be tiny, and plug a gap in my lighting choices. And the OP's

If anyone is reading this, thinking they could use one, then now is the time to speak. Perhaps you use similar, or have other ideas. Maybe you use your main light for everything, lighting an area greater than needed, and would like to save a little electric. Maybe make less heat, by just lighting a smaller space. Or you would rather use a couple of 14w dangled from two holders. Mars is interested in marketable products.

Though show me a 20w lamp with 2.3umol/w instead of a 14w philips with 1.7umol/w and my wallets coming out.
A look in the microgrows section shows lots of growers using stacks of domestic lamps. With wiring the large number of lamp holders as a limit. Better lamps, means less holders. Better holders, means more interest.

iu

Obviously 45 degree that one, and we want less than 30, to really light that foot below it. Though some adjustment might add value.

Last edited:

Ca++

@Mars Hydro Led The EU have changed how lamps are energy rated. The old A+++ is now about a D, and the A needs over 215lm/w iirc. This market, while not yours, is wide open. With just about no products in the A rating. The old rating system, now illegal to use, is all you find used on ebay, even by ebay themselves. They don't recognise the only legal standard we can print on the packaging now. The market is a less, and the canny investor could come out on top. Even using ebay stupidity against them, to sue them for lost sales through action the courts know is illegal. Courts love that sort of thing. While people like really bright lights, for plants, garages, driveways, roof spaces...

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
@Mars Hydro Led The EU have changed how lamps are energy rated. The old A+++ is now about a D, and the A needs over 215lm/w iirc. This market, while not yours, is wide open. With just about no products in the A rating. The old rating system, now illegal to use, is all you find used on ebay, even by ebay themselves. They don't recognise the only legal standard we can print on the packaging now. The market is a less, and the canny investor could come out on top. Even using ebay stupidity against them, to sue them for lost sales through action the courts know is illegal. Courts love that sort of thing. While people like really bright lights, for plants, garages, driveways, roof spaces...
Thank you for your suggestions, we are still mainly focusing on large lights, and are also working on some new designs and upgrades. In the future, we will also consider circular or rectangular small lights according to customer needs and market changes. :flowers2:

Ca++

Thank you for your suggestions, we are still mainly focusing on large lights, and are also working on some new designs and upgrades. In the future, we will also consider circular or rectangular small lights according to customer needs and market changes. :flowers2:
Could you do a 'plus' version, that's physically a bit bigger. No brighter. Just bigger, with less LEDs in the middle, and more around the outside. It would be of no help to users making up grids of individual fittings, but for users of a 4800 in a 1200x1200 it would be very useful.
I can't actually find a light I would buy for a 1400x1400 I just put up. I have put a big one in the middle, and a little one in each corner. Any suggestion where a corner is half as bright as a side, which is half as bright as the middle, is not going to be taken seriously. I have advanced from the 600 days, where the middle was light green, while the edges showed clawing. Due to the fact that areas under different amounts of light, want different amounts of feed.
Lots of people (maybe 5 or 6) would like a light for their '4x4' that illuminates it evenly. Perhaps with the brightest bit, just 50% brighter than the darkest bit. Not 300% different (but only if you mount it at 24" or higher).

A novice problem I always see somewhere, is running out of height. At 24" 30% of your tent is gone. Another 15% can be lost to pot height. 15% more, if you build a poor drain2waste. With 40% left, Another 10% could be lost to a carbon. So your plant could realistically get a third of the tents height. While the lights and carbon take more space than the plant. These are areas under your control. Where a 'plus size' light could regain half the lights hanging height, and make for a better grow with even illumination from close range. In-line filters can again give height back, by moving fan and filter out the tent. Together, giving the plant 50% more space than it might of had.

To the tent grower, the offer of a 'plus' version, should make other choices seem inconceivable. Postage would be higher, and the boards need populating differently. It's just the same manufacturing process though. No real change for Mars, but it would give me something that I feel works. Which is worth more than something I didn't think does.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Could you do a 'plus' version, that's physically a bit bigger. No brighter. Just bigger, with less LEDs in the middle, and more around the outside. It would be of no help to users making up grids of individual fittings, but for users of a 4800 in a 1200x1200 it would be very useful.
I can't actually find a light I would buy for a 1400x1400 I just put up. I have put a big one in the middle, and a little one in each corner. Any suggestion where a corner is half as bright as a side, which is half as bright as the middle, is not going to be taken seriously. I have advanced from the 600 days, where the middle was light green, while the edges showed clawing. Due to the fact that areas under different amounts of light, want different amounts of feed.
Lots of people (maybe 5 or 6) would like a light for their '4x4' that illuminates it evenly. Perhaps with the brightest bit, just 50% brighter than the darkest bit. Not 300% different (but only if you mount it at 24" or higher).

A novice problem I always see somewhere, is running out of height. At 24" 30% of your tent is gone. Another 15% can be lost to pot height. 15% more, if you build a poor drain2waste. With 40% left, Another 10% could be lost to a carbon. So your plant could realistically get a third of the tents height. While the lights and carbon take more space than the plant. These are areas under your control. Where a 'plus size' light could regain half the lights hanging height, and make for a better grow with even illumination from close range. In-line filters can again give height back, by moving fan and filter out the tent. Together, giving the plant 50% more space than it might of had.

To the tent grower, the offer of a 'plus' version, should make other choices seem inconceivable. Postage would be higher, and the boards need populating differently. It's just the same manufacturing process though. No real change for Mars, but it would give me something that I feel works. Which is worth more than something I didn't think does.
Do you mean larger lights with more even light distribution that can be placed closer to the plants to save tent space?

Ca++

Do you mean larger lights with more even light distribution that can be placed closer to the plants to save tent space?
That would be great.
People might not see the space advantage, but even distribution can sell.
No dimly lit corners. No over lit middle. It's more yield, with less problems.