What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I also need help with my activated carbon filter

MachWas

Hello, I would like to buy a grow tent 1.50×1.50×2.20
and need more information about the activated carbon filter.
Since I didn’t think entirely through looks when it came to the topic of expiration, I’m asking here.
All the websites where I had the formula calculated always gave me different results. Even when I calculated it myself, I didn’t get any results that were similar or even the same as the results from the websites.
I’ve already picked out an activated carbon filter that might fit, maybe someone will say that it’s totally shit and doesn’t fit at all, you’ll certainly have a lot more idea than me, so I’d rather be on the safe side and ask.

I don’t use Co2 or air conditioning. If it is necessary for the calculation.

I also have the following things to calculate the formula

Tent
1×1.50×1.50×2.20cm

Homebox Ambient Q150+ Plus kaufen

Homebox Ambient Q150+ Plus kaufen

Homebox Ambient Q150+ Plus – Blitzschneller Versand ✔ Spitzenpreis ✔ Top-Bewertungen ✔ Jetzt bequem online bestellen!

LED
2× 340 watts

SANlight EVO 1.5 LED Beleuchtungsset, mit Kabel und Dim

SANlight EVO 1.5 LED Beleuchtungsset, mit Kabel und Dim

SANlight EVO 1.5 LED Beleuchtungsset – Blitzschneller Versand ✔ Spitzenpreis ✔ Top-Bewertungen ✔ Jetzt bequem online bestellen!

Exhaust fan
1×Prima Klima ECblue exhaust fan, 1180 m³/h, 160mm connection
https://www.grow-shop24.de/prima-kl...9zcxv18JzSyimglm_rmssyzc6-ocg2xcpi71jmulybcuq AVD_BWE

Activated carbon filter
1×Rhino Pro activated carbon filter 600cbm / 160mm

favicon.ico
Rhino Pro Aktivkohlefilter 600cbm / 160mm, 89,90 €

Rhino Pro Aktivkohlefilter 600cbm / 160mm, 89,90 €

Aktivluft Bochum Die Rhino Pro Filter sind aufgrund der optimierten Konstruktionsweise sowie der effizienteren Aktivkohle kleiner, leichter und länger haltb

hoses
1× 3 meter aluminum hose

I’m a bit overwhelmed with the calculations for the space itself where the tents are placed
I definitely need some clarification on this topic

I thank you in advance for your efforts and your help

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well I can give you information on what I was taught years ago when I first got into indoor growing. However I feel like I need to qualify if by saying that first because more recently I've heard people making convincing arguements based on different number. That may however be due to everyone going LED these days and it may also factor in forms of cooling if any. What I was originally taught was for a grow rooom using HID lighting (which generates a lot of heat) and it was meant to be not only the air exchange but also the means of cooling. So with that in mind the formula was the cubic feet of your grow space (hieght, width and depth of your grow space in feet x 5 per minute. To put it another way that's a formula to completely exchange the air in your grow space 5 times per minute. So let's say your grow space was 4 feet wide x 4 feet long and 8 feet tall your Cubic feet would be (4x4) x 8 = 128 cubic feet and so your ventilation would need to move that amount of air 5 times per minute 128 x 5 = 640 cfm. Now carbon filters are rated in cfm so you would simply need to find a carbon filter rated for 640 cfm.

Now again that's what I was taught years ago and it was based on grow rooms using HID lighting and with no air conditioning. If properly set up the ventilation system at that rate would keep you grow space at a good tempurature, good humidity and the air would be moving forcefully enough it would be near impossible for pest to infesty or for mold to form. More recently though, and I've not had a chance to test this out myself but I've been told that 2.5 room changes of air was sufficient and I've heard that from people who I would trust to know what they are talking about. Now I wasn't told this specifically but I suspect the reason the room changes were cut in half is because most everyone these days are using LED lights which generate substantially less heat and most people have their grow space somewhere in which there is AC involved (or in winter time they're drawing their fresh air from colder outside air) Anyway if 2.5 exchanges were in fact enough then for the same grow space described above, instead of needing a carbon filter rated for 640 cfm you would only need one rated for 320 cfm which of course is because that would be the amount of air you ventilation would be moving thru the grow space.

Now I haven't priced them lately but back in the day when the amount of room changes was supposed to be 5 times per minute, pre-made carbon filters were preety expensive especially ones rated for 640cfm. Because of that, back in those days many growers would build their own carbon filters. I'm not sure what the calculations would be to build your own carbon filter rated for that much air exchange. I don''t think that's an issue for you though because by the information you quoted above for you specs it sounds like you're looking to get a pre-made carbon filter.

Anyway that's all the info I have on the topic and it made be outdated but I hp[e it's at least enough to help you figure things out?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Ignoring the calculations for a minute, it is also important to talk about noise. The cfm is always rated at fan on max and unless your tent is in a true out-of-the-way utility room, you may want something a little quieter. To solve this, you can always oversize your fan etc which can let you run it on low or medium so it doesn’t always sound like a runway at LAX . . . :rasta:

Gman 420

Unless you're growing low odour strains i would stay away from any rhino filters mate. Get a carboair or mountain air filter and you will be all good. A 6 inch carboair 60mm bed filter (1350m3/h) will match your tent nicely.

Ca++

60mm bed is nice. They start in the 150mm size. A 300mm long should be adequate. If you buy the 600mm long, you could probably cover the first 300mm in winter, then use the full 600mm in summer.

The calculations are quite worthless. The results often misinterpreted.

For reference, I have a similar sized tent, in UK weather. I have a 150mm carbon, which I ran with a 4" fan, I never turned up past 60% in any season. Or below 40%. The ducting was 80mm hard pipe at it's exit.
What the calculations will never tell you, is that fans are not all equal. I don't even size fans by their volume. If I did, I would be trying to shove a desk fan in my ducting. Which wouldn't blow through that 80mm duct at all.

The fan link is a 404 here, but I'm guessing it's a mixed flow. It would likely be best with a 600mm long 150, and 150mm ducting, that needs to find little restriction. So nice sized passive tent air inlets, and that exhaust going outside, not to a tight air-brick.

I only buy centrifugal fans. These days, ones with EC motors. A 4" system made this way, will likely beat a 6" system using a mixed flow. You won't see this in the peak flow numbers, which are measured with the fan sat on the table. It's once you add a filter and a few other complications, that the pressure of a centrifugal fan starts to win. My latest 4" fans offer 900Pa of pressure, to get the air moving. I doubt the fan you linked to, can push/pull half as hard.
Picture what you are trying to do, as you may need that pressure. Some people rely on air coming under a bedroom door, or out through a tight hole. Making pressure everything.
I do have a lengthy thread on this. Showing how most fans can't do half their stated output, with a filter attached. It has graphs, of fans and filters. Helping you make an informed decision.
Alternately you buy a 6" set, and accept it. You won't need an 8" and 4" might not be enough. The carbon should be 50mm deep at least. 500mm long, with the fan they will try and sell you. Don't accept less filter than this. A hobby is generally 30mm deep, and useless. Most cheap 4" sets are bad fan and 30mm bed filter, just 250mm long.

This is an area where you will be offered great savings, but need to buy the best insurance you can. Not the cheapest. You need a good extract, or a good legal defense.