What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydrogen

four20_oem

Ok basically
I was reading a paper I got in the mail about hydrogen power and how it is here. !This is pretty serious!, anyone out there that wants to make some cash, I would suggest that you invest in as many hydrogen power cell component manufacturers as you can find because fuel cells are here. Next year ALL the major vehicle brands plan to market their new fuel cell vehicles.

Now they will still be run off of gasoline or Kerosine but still 80mpg instead of 18mpg is a huge increase. And a conversion to water is seems pretty damn simple.

The reason I am telling you all about this is there are generators on the market now that can produce 10000W (10kw), now they are more expensive, but you dont pay for fuel anymore. The ones ive seen so far are about 10g for a 10kw fuelcell. Thats some serious power, easily run a med sized opperation. Or a small house and a small grow. Now these power cells are completely quiet. THERE ARE NO MOVING PARTS, just molecular movement! The only waste is pure H20. Nothing to wear out, no pollution. Actually the pollution a power cell creates is electricity.

Each cell creates roughly 2.1vdc and they can be linked in series (just like a lead acid battery) to creat any voltage required, We would probably want 12v or 24v and then hook a dc -> ac inverter up and now we have something very usefull that only needs to be charged with hydrogen (which just happens to be the most common element on earth!)

Hydrogen can easily be made with some electricity from the wall. or solar panels if you wanna do it without any help from outside sources.

As I was reading this I just couldnt stop thinking of the endless possibilities. Like the military already has submarines that never have to come up. If they were growing food down there they would be completely self suficient! And THERE IS NO NOISE AT ALL!

Anyway whats happening in a hydrogen fuel cell is were taking h20 passing it through something called a proton emiting membrane splitting the hydrogen from the oxygen holding the hydrogen and they oxygen in separate tanks. Then to make electricity you simply put the hydrogen on one side of the membrane and oxygen on the other and then because the hydrogen wants to get to the oxygen (just the way it is) which is on the other side of the membrane its gonna use the wire thats connected to the stud which runs across the membrane. Once this has started we have flow which we call electricity. Then out drips some water as it creates the electricity, which can then be reused to make more hydrogen and oxygen, with a solar panel or a plug in the wall (sucking very small amounts of 120v).

Now if you've read this far im sure you thinking thats way to good to be true, I was thinking that same thing but as far as I know the only problem really is that hydrogen is unstable. But it can be set up so the fuel cell only creates hydrogen as it is used. And its not like im gonna go buy all the parts and put this together (which will be possible in a year or two, could be done now but the cost is a bit high, for me atleast, for those of you with some bucks, I would highly recommend learning about this.) Anyway the fuel cells that you can buy are safe. They can make more than enough power to run a box and would save you so much money its unreal. ALSO no noise. AND THE BEST PART no electic co. unless you decide to use the electric co. to run the hydrogen creator.

ITS WIN WIN!

also has to be distilled water used when making the hydrogen and oxygen otherwise contaminents will clog the membrane.
The beutifull thing about this. a gallon of distilled water cost .32 at walmart.

As soon as I have the money Im investing... would recomend you all do the same..

questions -- howstuffworks.com has good info

anybody know of any reason why this is a bad idea? other than inital cost.

four20_oem

???

???

Is that even right? Does any one know anything about this? how exactly does the electricity split the hydrogen from the oxygen?

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
Re: ???

Re: ???

four20_oem said:
Is that even right? Does any one know anything about this? how exactly does the electricity split the hydrogen from the oxygen?

i don't know if it works but if it does it could have some serious potential;)

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
ro water would work then too, right?
that way you wouldn't have to support the walmart beast.
can you tell i don't like them much, hehe

four20_oem

yea all of em suck

yea all of em suck

See it seems like they're doin good with all their sales and low prices... but really they're fuckin us all.

to bad really cause Im not gonna stop buying from the cheapest place... thats why ebays so cool.. giving money to normal people.. but until ebay sells milk and food and everything else just not gonna be able to stop..

-Chris

Long term

Long term

I am not an expert but I lived in the bay area for a while and the SF Chronicle would run an article on fuel cells now and than. This all sounds right and I also have heard all the car companies are coming out with hydrogen fuel cells in the next year+.

I still think this is a while a way before these become commercially available. I think this could be awesome foe the personal grower who owns a home. Get a system put in equivalent to the 200 W service I have coming into my house now. Hell these things ill prpbably have a federal and state subsidy at first.

four20_oem

save so much $$

save so much $$

the only thing is that the fuel cells that are out run on gas or kerosine.. which is rediculous cause h20 has hydrogen too.. but eventually they'll be conversion kits.. till then its not that big a deal...

-Chris